HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Civic hall, beacon and tourist information centre all to close.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/copeland-council-to-close-civic-hall-beacon-and-public-loos-to-save-money-1.1003608?referrerPath=home

As well as puic toilets, flower displays moved and Christmas light cancelled.

What the hell. I know the council has to save money, but how about some of these over paid councilers take a pay cut and stop having expensive away days
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline Ryan

• First Team Backup
What's wrong with whitehaven lewis you can get your haircut in one of the many hairdressers, go have a nice pot of cafe tea in one of the many cafe's, get a new outfit from one of the many charity shops, get your weekly shopping from one of our many super markets then you can grab your dinner on your way home from one of the many takeaways. What a town!!!

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
CBC really know how to screw the people over!

ca28

Can CBC do anything right, I wouldn't trust them with a bat n ball at present. Come on Reid pull your finger out before this once great Town dies on it's arse !

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup
Can CBC do anything right, I wouldn't trust them with a bat n ball at present. Come on Reid pull your finger out before this once great Town dies on it's arse !

What has Jamie Reed got to do with CBC?
Freud said that the essence of the comic was the conservation of psychic energy. But then Freud never played Second House, Friday night at the Glasgow Empire - Ken Dodd

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup

I am not for one minute defending CBC or saying they are entirely blameless in all of this. But:

This more directly a result in the Tories freezing the money given to local government and allowing them the choice of which services they continue, which they cut back on.

And this then allows Cameron and co. to say, "Don't look at us, we never asked them to cut a) b) c)" And, of course, it looks like not everyone can see through this...
Freud said that the essence of the comic was the conservation of psychic energy. But then Freud never played Second House, Friday night at the Glasgow Empire - Ken Dodd

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Dear Rockerlad, when I read your post I honestly thought it was a joke, no doubt the swimming pool and sports centre will be next? ? I personally think it has a great deal to do with Jamie Reid, he is our M.P. and seems unable in any way to work with C,B.C. to stop the drip drip drip of life blood flowing out of the town centre, the political elite that control our borough seem to have no regard or idea to move the town forward, sorry to say but the balls up they made over the stadium [and I could name many other areas of gross ineptitude] is indicitive of their overall approach to running the town, like in many ways it has been said about our BOD the politicians are always reactive and not proactive. The leader comes accross as not seeming to be bothered about Whitehaven town centre at all. Oh she makes noises of, yes, but what matters in the end is what happens not sound bites. This council must go but if the people of Copeland keep voting for more of the same inept council then who else can we blame but ourselves? I really feel depressed - how much will these measures save? What is the assesment of the down side of closing them? They will cost a fortune to maintain safely even in closure? The council can't be trusted to get its sums right. They might as well all resign and let a new election be called but we all know they wont, the desire to hang to power is overarching and worst of all I believe they think they are doing a good job.

ca28

What has Jamie Reed got to do with  CBC?

Erm he is the local MP so quite alot.

Online HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
the desire to hang to power is overarching and worst of all I believe they think they are doing a good job.

Slightly changing the subject, does that statement remind us of anyone else in Whitehaven?

HW

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup

So he can dictate policy to a locally elected council?

Anyhow, not wanting to get into an arguement about that point now.

The full article is not out until tomorrow but it needs to be pointed out that both the Civic Hall and Sports Centre are ran by a company called North Country Leisure and so I don't think it will be a simple matter of CBC saying "right, you two are both now closed".

As this will be my last post tonight I would like to also ask "where has the money (albeit a ever decresing amount) gone?". Well we all know that CBC has squandered a hefty amount over their involvement with WRLFC and over the stadium fiasco. They have kept business rates high for the town centre, and so must be gettign next to nothing in now! Also a lot of the money that comes in from nuclear / Energy Coast goes straight back out again - for instance, the annual Festival, which as time goes by does less and less for the town but does give those that 'donate' this ultimately public money a couple of days jolly down by the harbourside.

My final point is that these professional executives at CBC are now being asked to manage, what, half? of their workload than in recent years. Perhaps they should be paid half as much - though, to be honest - I wouldn't pay them a penny, the job they are doing. Though it has to be said, let's wait and see what other councils do over the next six months or so before we decide just how incompetent CBC truly are.

Finally, I take the point from those in Millom, Egremont, etc, that Copeland is not just Whitehaven you know!

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer

I am not for one minute defending CBC or saying they are entirely blameless in all of this. But:

This more directly a result in the Tories freezing the money given to local government and allowing them the choice of which services they continue, which they cut back on.

And this then allows Cameron and co. to say, "Don't look at us, we never asked them to cut a) b) c)" And, of course, it looks like not everyone can see through this...
The cons may have some blame, but allerdale are not shutting things down, cancelling the Xmas lights. There is something not right here, I bet they had a nice away day to make all these decisions as well.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer

So he can dictate policy to a locally elected council?

Anyhow, not wanting to get into an arguement about that point now.

The full article is not out until tomorrow but it needs to be pointed out that both the Civic Hall and Sports Centre are ran by a company called North Country Leisure and so I don't think it will be a simple matter of CBC saying "right, you two are both now closed".

As this will be my last post tonight I would like to also ask "where has the money (albeit a ever decresing amount) gone?". Well we all know that CBC has squandered a hefty amount over their involvement with WRLFC and over the stadium fiasco. They have kept business rates high for the town centre, and so must be gettign next to nothing in now! Also a lot of the money that comes in from nuclear / Energy Coast goes straight back out again - for instance, the annual Festival, which as time goes by does less and less for the town but does give those that 'donate' this ultimately public money a couple of days jolly down by the harbourside.

My final point is that these professional executives at CBC are now being asked to manage, what, half? of their workload than in recent years. Perhaps they should be paid half as much - though, to be honest - I wouldn't pay them a penny, the job they are doing. Though it has to be said, let's wait and see what other councils do over the next six months or so before we decide just how incompetent CBC truly are.

Finally, I take the point from those in Millom, Egremont, etc, that Copeland is not just Whitehaven you know!
Dear HAG, I was at pains above to say "work with CBC in any way - some way! Who above has mentioned him dictating policy - though I for one would wish some policy were dictated to CBC because everything seems to done on an ad hoc basis all the time. Ah; North Country Leisure, can YOU TELL US ALL who are the shareholders of this company? This is a very important point you raise. I think you will find there will be one perhaps two shareholders and i'll bet the main one is CBC but HAG I would love you to prove me wrong. As for the professional executives - I presume you mean the council officers, they can only do and carry out the orders of their political masters the elected councillors that you and I put in power, blaming them is a bit of spin[IMO] to deflect blame from where we all know it belongs. Sorry HAG doing nothing for six months as you suggest is exactly the one constant tactic the council [and others use] after six months NO ONE will stand up and say ah SIX months is up other councils haven't shut down such and such so we will re open them. This is the creeping neglect that goes on, we have had one glaring example of this over the stadium .......have you all noticed how not one of the STAKEHOLDERS [hate that word] has had a single thing to say over the stadium? No one has the guts to stand up and say "we got it wrong" - or I would point out "EAT THEIR WORDS" as I was told I would have to. Have they published their lost revenue -no! Have they published their IN HOUSE report - NO! As regard your point Millom and Egremont and I would add Cleator Moor to that list, two points 1. Whitehaven needs to be vibrant for the borough economy it's the focal point of the borough 2. have you been to these three towns lately and actually spoke to people? Their towns have had a creeping neglect for years, they are ghostly with regard to their former selves and just remind yourself which council has been in power in those towns for the last thity five years or so? The system has to change and for one I would support wholeheartedly an elected Mayor - with a campaign NOT backed by ANY political party, please HAG tell me a realistic alternative.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
oh yes the stadium whatever happened with that project. yet again no answers people hiding in offices on there big salary. then we see this come out what a bloody joke we have as a council
what will be next.   :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:
born and bred haven.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
so whos to blame?

simple............the electorate!

we can all sit here and slag cbc off, or take to facebook and get people to send in messages of complaint, but i'll guarantee come election time for the councillors they'll get voted back in...............and why?

because, as has been said many a time before, put a red rosette on a monkey round here and they will vote for it.

I remember a Labour Party conference in Blackpool in 1989 i think it was, and they voted to close Sellafield and get rid of nuclear power if they were elected at next General Election, outside were employees from Sellafield who were asked if they would still vote labour having heard what had just been said, and lo and behold they all said YES!!!

no doubt the people of cleator moor, egremont and millom who complain everytime a single penny is spent on Whitehaven will be happy now!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

ca28

How perciluar that there was enough money in the pot to give Woodburn a huge payrise.  :witch: :witch: