HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Board need to deliver

Boxer · 50 · 1962

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:28:02 am
Boxer:

You are "singing to the choir" regarding part of your post.

I'm of the opinion that we should never have dropped our Under 23 team, in fact, I believe we should have put more effort and resources into its development.

Our reserve team was an untapped resource regarding not only developing new fans but generating badly needed additional revenue. The fact that that could have been accomplished whilst providing an important development opportunity for potential young players only makes the loss that much more painful.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:34:47 am
I think most people on here agree the club is heading the wrong way down a one way street to no where.  Real shame the famous five running the club can't see it as we'll.

To many local players both pro and amature are refusing to join the club that is an unequivocal damnation on the board.  No hiding from facts.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2012, 01:29:20 am
Maybe fax and Featherstone won't but I will make these two points.

(1) Town team from last year had 7 players who were top level championship standard . Miller , Carter, Matty , Thackeray, Philips and Stack and Olstrum.

(2) we need to add for more quality to our team than they do

(3) they are a largely locally based squad in terms of their better players we definatly are not.

I will also say there is relegation for two teams, we are far more likely than town to be fighting to stay up.  We have lost our local identity and frankly on signings so far we ain't improving on last year.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................thats 3 points  :tip:
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline skidaw

• Academy Star
Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2012, 07:58:28 am
Maybe fax and Featherstone won't but I will make these two points.

(1) Town team from last year had 7 players who were top level championship standard . Miller , Carter, Matty , Thackeray, Philips and Stack and Olstrum.

(2) we need to add for more quality to our team than they do

(3) they are a largely locally based squad in terms of their better players we definatly are not.

I will also say there is relegation for two teams, we are far more likely than town to be fighting to stay up.  We have lost our local identity and frankly on signings so far we ain't improving on last year.

Boxer for once you are making good points.

When Haven went into administration the main reason was we had to many travellers on big money and it was unsustainable.

It seems the BOD.s haven't learnt from previous mistakes. The core of the team should be locally based.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2012, 11:08:38 am

We need a strong core of local based players with the right attitude and desire and it just isn't there which ever way you look at it.

I agree with alot of your points Boxer but sadly this 1 is difficult. There's good local talent out there but sadly they won't commit to semi pro rugby. Only other option is for any travellers to live here which would probably mean getting them a job like what we did with Fletcher

Offline LondonTown

• Academy Signing
Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:12:02 pm
They don't seem to want to commit to Haven.
Rooney, Dawes, Phillips all joined from the semi pro ranks and have been more than useful acquisitions.
Mattinson also from the amateur ranks as is Mossop, Coward, Carter, Miller etc .
More to it than to simply say they won't sign therefore need to look away. You should be asking the question - why won't they sign for Haven.

Offline Recre Faithful

• First Team Regular
Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:15:00 pm
That is what Town have done for Dowes they have got the lad employment dont know how. Regrding local talent there just isnt the number out there good enough to make the step up. If you look at Kells theres Only Scott Lofthouse who i think could step up some say Lowery but no real size about him, nothing at hensingham Egremont have a few but look at last year with bewsher couldntb hack it same at the Brow there their but not like when the last bunch came thru
Whitehaven RLFC The real pride of cumbria

Remember not everything that talks with an Aussie accent is good enough to wear the Green & Gold

Offline Recre Faithful

• First Team Regular
Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:22:40 pm
Rooney, Dawes, Phillips all joined from the semi pro ranks and have been more than useful acquisitions.
Mattinson ( Ex Haven)also from the amateur ranks as is Mossop (ExCas), Coward,(At the time wasnt good enough to get in Haven Team) Carter (Ex Barrow)  Miller (ex Haven Academy & Hull FC Academy)etc .
More to it than to simply say they won't sign therefore need to look away. You should be asking the question - why won't they sign for Haven.

Sort of kills you arguement these lads appart from Coward all came from other Pro clubs and not straight from am clubs

Remember not everything that talks with an Aussie accent is good enough to wear the Green & Gold

Offline branstymarra

• Academy Star
Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:28:49 pm
Well how about this as an idea regarding new expensive signings, just tell our so called Council they are consultants and hey presto £100,000 pa no problems

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:37:57 pm
Mattinson also from the amateur ranks as is Mossop, Coward, Carter, Miller etc .
yes but matty came to haven from the local ranks,but i agree they should be addressing the reasons why they wont sign if its money which in some cases it is then i have no issue with the BOD saying sorry go else where,as some are reported to be asking for 10k just to sign
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 12:42:42 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #25 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:40:42 pm
crack is some of the best locals are looking for around 10k just to sign ,
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #26 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:42:37 pm
Either way unless we come up with about 10 quality new players we are going to be cannon fodder.  I will give you an example the front row next year is planned as Culneen Pora Houghton and jackson with Sice and Smith at hooker .  It will be mullered no size yet again and big hole at hooker.

Towns pack will be more than capable of competing with the top three teams so on that level probably unfair to compare the two but we at the least need to correct the glaring problems we had all year in Champ 1 in the front row and give oursleves a chance.

Thats before we even try and find a backrow Beattie and Izzaka have gone Dorans obviosuly going to fill a  slot but relying on Clarke , Fox barker and Crellin  doent fill you with a lot of confidence. 

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #27 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:46:40 pm

same crack as last year then eh, the problem is there is 2 clubs in cu,bria going after the same small pot of players. That is why they can play one off against the other to get stupid money.

Take the reds for example, if there is ever a decent local player (J Wright) for example, we can offer basically what we like where else are they going to go?

Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

ca28

Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:52:47 pm

same crack as last year then eh, the problem is there is 2 clubs in cu,bria going after the same small pot of players. That is why they can play one off against the other to get stupid money.

Take the reds for example, if there is ever a decent local player (J Wright) for example, we can offer basically what we like where else are they going to go?

Erm not so sure about that. Red's are in the same boat as both Haven and Town with competition to sign young players, namely from Carlisle, Barrow, Celtic nation, Penrith and Kendal. Is the going rate for playing for the Reds around £300.00 per game  ;) ?

Offline Recre Faithful

• First Team Regular
Reply #29 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:56:38 pm
Have you seen Rodney Porra I very much doubt you have as he is a big unit maybe not 6Ft 4 but like all PNG players as hard as nails and will run thru wall for you