• Top Try Scorer
Reply #45 on: 09 Mar 2013, 01:55:23 pm
Heard that to also Macca a doubt I think

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #46 on: 09 Mar 2013, 02:17:14 pm
I think home games training is Tuesday and Thursday and sat mornings away
Games is Tuesday and Thursday or Friday I think
It's not this week we trained Tuesday and Friday,last week trained Tuesday and Thursday that's all
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2013, 02:27:16 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

• Haven Legend
Reply #47 on: 09 Mar 2013, 02:22:08 pm
I'm not sure I can get too worked up by BKM arguments at the moment.

We can't find enough class locals to make up more than about 25% of a match day squad, so have to bring in travellers to ensure Rl stays viable in the town.

Travellers come down to a couple who live in the town, and the rest make their way here from Lanc's and Yorkshire. A round trip of about 280 miles to train in the area. Training twice in the evenings and travelling back late evening.......not a very motivating experience.

And for a home game, travelling up on Sat morning and staying overnight for the game.......again getting back late on Sunday evening.

That's all an absolute bind to my mind. But fair do's to them, they ARE doing it.

Then there's this partnership agreement. I hate it, BUT we have either to make the best of it and get the best from it that we can, OR go it alone and probably be relegated, (aka Barrow).

Woods has a good personal relationship with the Saints set up, and will be getting the best deal he can for the players he wants / needs.

On current performances, Woods has done what he said he would, which was give the squad a chance to show and shine. Some patently have fallen below the standard required, so leave them out and insert a couple of Saints players for this game to gee the under-performers up. If they respond, job done, and we start competing, if they don't respond, then we keep taking SL players until we can ship the the under performers out and replace with better players.

That's pretty much the concept of professional sport, and given the RFL's partnership system, the best option for Championship RL in Whitehaven.

Accept it and be grateful we have a decent working relationship with Saints, as of yesterday they were obviously going to loan us two true SL squad players, NOT young fringe players. 

By the way, if the two Saints players had come and trained with us on Thursday, they may still have been drafted into last nights team as the need required.
I would agree with everything you say if that's what is happening but it's not on the odd occasion we have trained ona dSaturday and had a home game only a few have stopped over most went home.To be frank I don't care if it's a bind for them travelling that's what they signed up too so get on with it.But that isn't the issue here it is lack of training and training being changed from week to week.We have gone up a division and are training less .Your right about if they had trained Thursday which backs up my point that having your last session on Thursday for a game on Sunday is poor prep,it should be Friday at the latest but even better if it's saturday
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2013, 02:30:00 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline CocoLoco

• Academy Star
Reply #48 on: 09 Mar 2013, 02:48:29 pm
I'm not sure I can get too worked up by BKM arguments at the moment.

We can't find enough class locals to make up more than about 25% of a match day squad, so have to bring in travellers to ensure Rl stays viable in the town.

Travellers come down to a couple who live in the town, and the rest make their way here from Lanc's and Yorkshire. A round trip of about 280 miles to train in the area. Training twice in the evenings and travelling back late evening.......not a very motivating experience.

And for a home game, travelling up on Sat morning and staying overnight for the game.......again getting back late on Sunday evening.

That's all an absolute bind to my mind. But fair do's to them, they ARE doing it.

Then there's this partnership agreement. I hate it, BUT we have either to make the best of it and get the best from it that we can, OR go it alone and probably be relegated, (aka Barrow).

Woods has a good personal relationship with the Saints set up, and will be getting the best deal he can for the players he wants / needs.

On current performances, Woods has done what he said he would, which was give the squad a chance to show and shine. Some patently have fallen below the standard required, so leave them out and insert a couple of Saints players for this game to gee the under-performers up. If they respond, job done, and we start competing, if they don't respond, then we keep taking SL players until we can ship the the under performers out and replace with better players.

That's pretty much the concept of professional sport, and given the RFL's partnership system, the best option for Championship RL in Whitehaven.

Accept it and be grateful we have a decent working relationship with Saints, as of yesterday they were obviously going to loan us two true SL squad players, NOT young fringe players. 

By the way, if the two Saints players had come and trained with us on Thursday, they may still have been drafted into last nights team as the need required.
I would agree with everything you say if that's what is happening but it's not on the odd occasion we have trained ona dSaturday and had a home game only a few have stopped over most went home.To be frank I don't care if it's a bind for them travelling that's what they signed up too so get on with it.But that isn't the issue here it is lack of training and training being changed from week to week.We have gone up a division and are training less .Your right about if they had trained Thursday which backs up my point that having your last session on Thursday for a game on Sunday is poor prep,it should be Friday at the latest but even better if it's saturday

With regards to the large amount of Travellers issue the Club arent really to blame. Young locals have their heads filled with ***** by people like Brocklebank and Rooney and refuse to sign.

John Paul Brocklebank and Karl Dixon are two prime examples - both for some reason see themselves above playing semi professional rugby. Without our own development streams we are going to struggle in years to come.

Offline egremont

• Academy Star
Reply #49 on: 10 Mar 2013, 10:30:09 am
what do you mean heads filled with s****?
What if they just don't want to sign for haven or town.
what if they want to travel the world playing for GB as amateurs.
how do you know that they see themselves above playing semi pro level
amateurs will sign if they know they'll get a decent chance.
Barker Ackerly etc good lads - no opportunity.
Palmer - he'll be back at Egremont soon.

Can't you see that for someone to sign from the amatuers, the club they're going to actually needs to embrace the local amatuer sides.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #50 on: 10 Mar 2013, 10:47:46 am
Isn't palmer playing today Marra so he is getting his chance

Offline HarryB

• Academy Star
Reply #51 on: 10 Mar 2013, 11:23:35 am

Can't you see that for someone to sign from the amatuers, the club they're going to actually needs to embrace the local amatuer sides.

Good sensible post egremont
What people tend to overlook is that these are young men who know their own minds and play the sport for the love of the game, have good jobs and don't need the money. Amateur rugby is a big buzz for these lads so they will keep doing it.
Add to that the commitment to travelling all over the country on mainly sundays and not saturday and if they read the boards such as this and see the bagging that you guys give everyone and their grans then personally as an ex player I can totally understand.
Just because Haven is the center of your minute universes doesn't mean it is the center of everyone elses.
I am willing to bet that the majority of people who share coco locos view will never have put a shirt on in anger
and don't really realise what RL is about.

« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2013, 11:29:26 am by HarryB »

Offline CocoLoco

• Academy Star
Reply #52 on: 10 Mar 2013, 12:16:23 pm
You're talking utter tripe there.

Most BARLA internationals sign for their local semi pro teams. For some reason young players around here see themselves as above semi pro rugby. Usually because they've had their heads filled full of ##### by their coaches.

Why would you not want to test yourself at a higher level?

They'd rather be a big fish in a small pond than test themselves amongst the elite.

• Haven Legend
Reply #53 on: 10 Mar 2013, 12:23:05 pm

agree about palmer,we sign one of the top locals and dont play him,contrast that with up the road who play them and give them time.I can see palmer leaving if he doesnt get a chance,everyone could see last week he offers a lot more than clarke and paterson but will he play today ,maybe they will find out about 1pm :o :o

The issue to me is not about travellers we need them to stay in this league,to me its about lack of training ,lack of organisation.The team that lines up today even excluding makinson will not have had a training session with players in those positions how is that good preperation for game.Listening to woods on tv etc there is no doubt he knows the game inside out and tactically is very astute,just not sure he is fully focused on WRLFC
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2013, 12:32:18 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline HarryB

• Academy Star
Reply #54 on: 10 Mar 2013, 12:41:45 pm
You're talking utter tripe there.

Most BARLA internationals sign for their local semi pro teams. For some reason young players around here see themselves as above semi pro rugby. Usually because they've had their heads filled full of ##### by their coaches.

Why would you not want to test yourself at a higher level?

They'd rather be a big fish in a small pond than test themselves amongst the elite.
Who says it is a higher level? You've obviously unable to see things from others point of view. Its called empathy