HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

whitehaven v dews your views

Maca · 30 · 3795

Offline havenproud

• Academy Signing
Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2007, 08:36:50 pm
a win is a win,
thought as a team we were quiet poor today, but was glad to see good individual performances from our non super stars. thought spencer and howard had good solid games, and maden and calvert partnership looked good!!

Offline picasso kid

• Academy Signing
Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2007, 08:55:24 pm
a win is a win,
thought as a team we were quiet poor today, but was glad to see good individual performances from our non super stars. thought spencer and howard had good solid games, and maden and calvert partnership looked good!!

What match wher you watching ???
Maden could have released calvert on 4 occassions, but he chose to go inside himself.

Everytime we threw the ball out wide, it came back in, no one used the width to exploit the 12 man defence.  This is kids stuff, U11's and we could not do it.  To play against a 12 man side for that long and not look good is shameful.

How Duffy got MOM is beyond me, the only thing he run today was up his own A*%e.  He was outclassed by Dewsbury's S/H (looked bigger than Andy Gregory !!). 

Sicey was a big miss today, his probing runs would have opened them up for some quick 2nd phase attack.  GB was caught out so many times today, i think he doubled last seasons count in one match.

Think we need to improve BIG time and quickly, how is down to the players and DR.

PK

popularsider

Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2007, 09:02:15 pm
i thought duffy played well

sice was a miss today

benson got my man of the match  ;D

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2007, 09:15:58 pm
A dire performance today, though only slightly worse than other recent performances.  The team has got a long way too go before it hits the mark!  You can make a lot of excuses (players missing etc) but Haven this season so far are dire.  Today we won today by virtue of the individual skills of certain players..............if Havrn start playing as a team, they will be very strong, but we're a long way off that yet!

PS _ I liked Dewsbury, very good in defence and a great set of fans!
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2007, 09:18:07 pm by Jaypeet »
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline Dogs

• Academy Signing
Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2007, 10:10:42 pm

Firstly, we played badly today and won. That's no bad thing against a competent Dewsbury side. Every side has their off day, Cas will and so too will Widnes. We won, three points, that's all history now.

However......I can't believe some of the criticism I heard today. The reality is we are not Cas or Widnes. No matter how great the expectation, we have to accept that we are who we are - a Cumbrian outpost surviving on gates less than half of those two teams and more than 150 miles away from the M62 player pool.

It's highly likely Haven will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride. We will always compete in the weekly rounds but when it comes to a one-off semi-final or Grand Final, we will usually come up short.

Why? Because we will never be able to afford a Danny Brough or a Brad Davis or a Dennis Moran or a Tommy Martyn or a Chris Thorman. Finances and geography will always dictate that the emphasis is on the development of local talent. That's just the way things are. That's not down to the coach or the Board.

Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. We are an outpost. But that's also our strength. We should accept and be proud of who we are and what we are. We are Whitehaven. We may never get to Super League, we may never win a Grand Final, we many never do anything other than play second fiddle to the Castlefords and Widnes's of this world but we will give them all a bloody good fight along the way.

Don't expect too much from your club. I think we're all guilty of that sometimes. Maybe they will surprise us all one day, But lets just celebrate who we are, what we are and who enjoy the ride. We'll win some and lose some. We'll play well some days and play badly in others. That's sport. No-one has a divine right to win anything. Even Cas and Widnes.

Let's dream of Super League, but let's also be realistic and just enjoy being part of a great and proud club.

Haven Til We Die.....

Monte2carlo

Reply #20 on: 15 Apr 2007, 10:45:37 pm
Great post Haven till we die,

Monte

Offline ramsfan

• Academy Signing
Reply #21 on: 16 Apr 2007, 12:38:20 am
i would like to paste a post made on our message board (NOT BY ME!!):

The try we had disallowed to go 10-8 up was not directly from a scrum as LeeF said earlier. The ref gave us the scrum which was played and followed by a tackle and we scored on the next play. The ref had awarded the try, the players had returned to their own half ready for kick off, the haven players had collected under the posts and lawford was ready to take the kick, then the touch judge spoke to the ref and the try was disallowed and play taken back two plays to the scrum which was then awarded to haven.

We also scored a try in the last minute which would have got us a bonus point but the ref disallowed this one too.

These were just a couple of incidents regarding the ref's decisions, there were many many more all through the match.

The score may seem like a decent result to anybody who didn't see the match but it flatters whitehaven considerably. We deserved at least a bonus point from this match if not more, whitehaven weren't the better team on the day, the only difference between the teams was that they had the ref making/bending/changing rules for them. (I would have said that the ref was cheating but i don't think i'm allowed to say that so to clarify things that's not what i'm saying, but you get the idea!).

I never blame the officials if we lose but today there's just no other reason for it, the players should be proud of themselves, they certainly played well enough to win today but the ref wasn't going to let that happen. This was probably worse than what Colin Morris did to us when we played Fev last year. I hope today's ref (i believe it was Mr Taberner) is never allowed to referee another match ever again, he should be ashamed enough of himself to resign!

On a positive note I had a good day out, the whitehaven fans were friendly enough, and the academy won 34-30.

any thoughts?

popularsider

Reply #22 on: 16 Apr 2007, 12:42:21 am
ref was poor for both

Offline ramsfan

• Academy Signing
Reply #23 on: 16 Apr 2007, 12:44:35 am
another post i've found on the rams board:

there were several factors to consider regarding todays result which were overlooked by our daniels report on another thread , firstly the actions of hobson were stupid to say the least as in that first twenty he was doing plenty of damage legitimatley . secondly there are no mentions of the injuries sustained by the rams which were critical . kane epati taken off first half with his knee shot , alex bretherton with a suspected broken finger , chris hall did not look fit as the game started and although he made the first try after a great ball from weedon was noticably lame . and finally danny maun carried a sprained ankle for most of the game but still performed heroically . i was sat directly opposite the dropped ball which resulted in the referee changing his decision and i can catergorically state that the ball went backwards and should have been play on to the rams . finally the last "try " which was pulled back for a forward pass was not and should have stood .
conclusions, the actions of andy hobson were abject stupidity , secondly the remaining players performed heroicaly , thirdly the rams supporter who shouted " take lawford off " towards the back end of the game is an idiot and finally if the rams had remained with 13 men on the field and not sustained the injuries would have gone very very close to taking the game .josh weedon was my man of the match for the rams closely followed by preecy but overall our players performed with great credit although i am concerned about the ability of a couple of our forwards today who i am sad to say do not look good enough .

once again, i didn't attend today's match, i am simply pasting from http://www.rugbyleague.org

Offline denisatesk

• Academy Star
Reply #24 on: 16 Apr 2007, 01:53:38 am
i dont think we are using the conditions to help our game, in the first half we were playing from the kells end with the wind & the sun at our backs but i don't think we put one high ball up, we played long balls to try to keep them in thier own teritory which didn't happen , when are we going to learn. ??? ??? ???

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #25 on: 16 Apr 2007, 06:54:26 am
have to say we weren't at the races yesterday.

fair play to dewsbury, they look a well drilled, organised side who will< i think> win more than they will lose.

i thought we got VERY lucky with the dissallowed try in the 1st half, resulting from a dewsbury knock on 2 or 3 play the balls earlier< be honest would you have been happy if the ref had dissallowed it if it had been us scoring from the knock on?>

as one of craig calverts critics i say well done to him,i thought he had a very good game,
proving what he can do when there is nobody in front of him!
as soon as he got the ball you just knew it was try time!

taberner was his usual self, seeming to make it up as he went along.

was nice to catch up with some old friends from dewsbury, specially steve and family, and of course the welsh ronnie corbett!

the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #26 on: 16 Apr 2007, 08:56:38 am
disgusted in lester showing off under the posts many people in the kells end were raging because they had backed us  minus 18  and that try would have won it . what was he playing at? a man of his experience should celebrate after scoring not before. >:(
It's their choice to gamble, Lester isn't accountable to their greed.
no but he should be setting a good example to the youngsters . put the ball down then celebrate it just makes you look like a muppet if you drop it
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #27 on: 16 Apr 2007, 12:26:58 pm
i thought we were poor yesterday against 12 men and i thought we should have tried to run the rams about a bit more to exploit the fact that they were a man down. having said that i thought dews. were a lot better than i expected and i liked their style of play . i thougt the fuullback was a very dangerous player. and well done to them .they are the best team to come to the rec so far this season
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline rdc

• Academy Star
Reply #28 on: 16 Apr 2007, 05:38:35 pm
any thoughts?
The poster is deluded if they think Dewsbury were worth the win.  Whitehaven were poor and didn't take their chances, but we stayed in control throughout the game and didn't look like losing.

The decision in the first half where Dewsbury had their try disallowed was a complete joke though.  I'm surprised they could actually go that far back to change a decision.

I can see Dewsbury surviving relegation this season, they haven't got much playing ability but they seem like a smart side, closing down the threats in our attack and taking opportunities where presented.   Andy Kelly seems to be getting the best out of them given their limitations.

The Calvert/Maden partnership seemed to go well, although I wonder if that could have been to do with Dewsbury's one man deficit.  Benson was impressive on the other wing as well, he seems to have stepped up to first-team rugby comfortably.

Great post by Dogs by the way.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #29 on: 16 Apr 2007, 11:38:56 pm
Thats true dogs but the dream will only be for a couple of years and alot of fans go with the thort of getting into the super L once that goes i can see the gate dropping alot of fans sad but true the teams left and even the big ones mostly will loose there big players and the only realy big games would be challenge cup games the only good thing that would come out of this local teams would keep most players and get better only for a few going to the top flight of rugby SL.
Id love to see us going all the way and why not so come on uuuuuuuuu  HAVENNNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!
 Id still be there at the games i might add  ;)