HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

NZ V Samoa

Guest · 13 · 1197

beermatt42

on: 28 Oct 2013, 09:26:51 am
Well, there was certainly a festival feel to that last night, before the match over 500 dancers gathered in Warrington town centre to entertain the crowds, before marching down to the stadium en masse in a great procession, fantastic.
There was a real sense of expectation, you could feel it in the air.

Inside the stadium, before the match, we had dance troupes, choirs, giant flags on the pitch, lots of cheerleaders, the army bringing the World Cup itself onto the pitch and the choir singing Jerusalem, nearly had me crying that and i'm meant to be a big toughie  :D
The fans seemed to come from all over, it was a bit like the magic weekend, I met fans from Australia, Castleford, Hull, Hull KR, Wigan, St Helens, Samoa, you name it they were all there.

There was a full house in Warrington, and you usually only get that if Wigan are in town, in fact, the south stand seemed overcrowded, with people having to stand down by the touchline, and several announcements for people to get a few steps back, never seen anything like it.

There was two Haka's, done to some strange language, and that got a terrific applause from the crowd, both teams got an excellent welcome to Warrington.

Onto the match, I thought NZ were lucky to win, because there was a massive Samoan fightback in the second half, and it was Samoa who won the hearts of the Warrington crowd, who cheered for every move that they made.
I couldn't see the fuss about SBW, but Simon Mannering of NZ is certainly one to watch, he scored two excellent tries, but by far the best try of the night was Samoa's  second, Three NZ defenders closed together to stop him, but he just burst through the lot of them right on the tryline and the crowd went bonkers, myself included, definitely a try to remember.

NZ might play better against better opponents, there was a sense that they were only getting warmed up and their best is yet to come, but at times there was also a sense that they were nothing special too, they have problems defending the tryline and at one point the crowd even started singing 'who are ya, who are ya'.
The scoreline might have been levelled but the Samoan full back was having trouble scoring his goals, otherwise the score would have been a lot closer.

Some argy bargy at times, but who doesn't love a scrap, there was also a lot of great runs which had the crowd cheering and some crunching tackles all over the pitch, one New Zealander got knocked out on his own tryline trying unsuccessfully to stop a Samoan try.

The replacement buses were all free, so no problems getting to the match, and overall a great match that will be remembered well for years to come, it was a great thing to host the world cup.

Get down to Derwent Park tomorrow, and wear your colours with pride, you should all be in for a great match, a festival in fact.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2013, 09:34:55 am
looked a great atmosphere and was a top game but was sonny  bill williams doing  :D :D :D :D
born and bred haven.

Offline HavenRL2010

• First Team Backup
Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:24:00 pm
Best game ive seen in a long time. It had everything video ref no try, no try, TRY LoL.Great come back by samoa some brutal hit ups & big hits. St helens will have some pack next season with moase fella.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:38:57 pm
Best game ive seen in a long time. It had everything video ref no try, no try, TRY LoL.Great come back by samoa some brutal hit ups & big hits. St helens will have some pack next season with moase fella.

he is a beast of a player
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:43:17 pm

Yes, I nearly forgot about that, how can the video ref say no try, no try, and then the ref overrule him when it was he who referred it to the video ref in the first place?
Was it Silverwood indeed, or did the video ref change his mind?  I've never seen that before, the game certainly did have everything alright, even the Wigan fans I was stood with couldn't work than one out!

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2013, 01:38:35 pm
Second half proper rough and tumble and to be honest fairly clean for such a hard game. awesome come back by Samoa. What do you all think about the passion from the comentators as opposed to our dreary duo on Sky? What you wouldn't hear Beermatt is the praise they were giving the warrington crowd for their sportsmanship he really congratulated you lot. Thought it was quite a mark of respect that the crowd mostly didn't just go they stayed and the commentators said something like "..they want an encore...they want another ten minutes" it was that good a game. Can't remember last time I seen as good a second half [might have been one SL game last season that was great]

Offline HavenRL2010

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:09:42 pm

Yes, I nearly forgot about that, how can the video ref say no try, no try, and then the ref overrule him when it was he who referred it to the video ref in the first place?
Was it Silverwood indeed, or did the video ref change his mind?  I've never seen that before, the game certainly did have everything alright, even the Wigan fans I was stood with couldn't work than one out!
Silverwood did ask him are you sure then no try came up again haha class. Agree about the commentators they made the game even better.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:55:27 pm
Aye that was right kerfuffle did you notice though Silverwood realised right away they had pressed the wrong button, did he hear them say it's a try? And then notice their mistake? Wonder what the rule book says about that one? Could NZ have stood their ground? Did they broadcast their deliberation?

Offline Haven till I Die

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:56:39 pm
Aye that was right kerfuffle did you notice though Silverwood realised right away they had pressed the wrong button, did he hear them say it's a try? And then notice their mistake? Wonder what the rule book says about that one? Could NZ have stood their ground? Did they broadcast their deliberation?

Im sure they tell the referee in his ear as well so thats why he asked the question then explained it to the NZ players

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:39:37 pm

it was a funny moment when it came up twice no try  :D :D :D :D
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2013, 04:47:21 pm
Second half proper rough and tumble and to be honest fairly clean for such a hard game. awesome come back by Samoa. What do you all think about the passion from the comentators as opposed to our dreary duo on Sky? What you wouldn't hear Beermatt is the praise they were giving the warrington crowd for their sportsmanship he really congratulated you lot. Thought it was quite a mark of respect that the crowd mostly didn't just go they stayed and the commentators said something like "..they want an encore...they want another ten minutes" it was that good a game. Can't remember last time I seen as good a second half [might have been one SL game last season that was great]

If it's the Superleague grand final you are talking about, then trust me, the second half wasn't that good, believe me  :D :D

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2013, 05:22:58 pm
No Beermatt, I just seem to remember one fri night SL game as being excellent in the second half.

beermatt42

Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2013, 06:25:26 pm
No Beermatt, I just seem to remember one fri night SL game as being excellent in the second half.

I remember it now, it was the Warrington home game against Wigan, the night when we beat them  :D :D
Seriously, I thought Salford against Castleford was one of the best games last year, the one where Salford had 14 players on the pitch  :D :D
It seemed to go one way, and then the other. Just for pure entertainment, that has to be one of the best games from last year.