HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Ged Stokes Sacked!

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 25 Apr 2007, 12:26:28 pm
From www.bbc.co.uk/sport
Workington sack head coach Stokes 

Workington Town have parted company with coach Ged Stokes following a club disciplinary hearing.
Stokes had been suspended for a month while the club and the Rugby Football League investigated an alleged incident involving a Barrow supporter.

Although the RFL found that Stokes had no case to answer, Town took the decision to dismiss Stokes following their own internal investigation.

He had been in charge at Derwent Park since 2003.

๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2007, 06:40:46 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/6591495.stm

Radio interview with Grd Stokes and John Cox regarding Stokes' dismissal
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

popularsider

Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2007, 08:21:50 pm
ive heard 2 names linked with the town job already

tony benson former leigh coach
tony smith former wakefield coach recently sacked at featherstone

Offline champ

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2007, 10:43:25 pm
Trouble is marra which coach worth his salt would go to Town.  A long drawn out court case in the offing and no cash to spend.  Players deciding if the coach stays or not.

IpswichSteve

Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2007, 11:08:41 pm
Come on Champ.............

1) Decent Squad capable of doing well in NL2
2) Sure the circumstances regarding Stokes can be explained to a potential
new coach.
3) Word on the street is that three decent coach's have already enquired, key
point they have enquired.
4) Town will have I assume free legal backup to fight the case, which will drag on
for some time, and thats if it even gets that far, depend on if Stokes can afford to
do it or if a "No win No fee" firm will think he has a good enough case.
5) Players havent decided - he has been found guilty of gross misconduct, together
with his awful record for the past year.
6) No money - two decent shared gates lately, no payout for Stokes and crowds will now
rise.

Still dont let the facts get in the way of your doom and gloom for us.

Today has been a great day! 

Youre not worried that a new coach might start us on our long road to taking back
our rightful place as Cumbria' No,1 are you?

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2007, 07:07:14 am
I  think  Town  wanted  shot  of  him  wether  he  was  guilty  or  not.  All  they  were  looking  for  was  1  chance  and  they  got  it.  Infact  if  there  was  an  altercation  with  a  Fan  and  Stokes  it  wouldn't  surprise  me  if  it  was  all  staged  to  get  the  Town  coach  into  trouble.

Still  the  RFL  found  him  not  guilty  so  I  guess  he'll  have  a  good  claim  for  unfair  dismissal.

specialbrew92

Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2007, 07:34:51 am
Unfair dismissal can be a tricky area

I hope that the Town board have dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's. Ged will also receive free legal aid. In my experience of tribunals regarding ex employee's the nearly always favor the employee rather than the employer.

I heard that Mr Anderson and Noble are in for the job

Monte

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2007, 03:40:22 pm
You misheard Monte - It's Ged that's wanting Anderson or Noble's jobs. :D :D

I'm sure the Town directors wouldn't have made the decision they have without getting good legal advice, especially with a solicitor as an associate member of the board.    If you read the Doncaster link on this very message board where John Wright has had to pay out for unfair dismissal the amounts are under 10 grand, so we are not talking massive sums of cash.   If the worst comes to the worst we could always offer him his job back. ::) ::) ::)

Time to move on into the next era of the history of Town.  Upwards and onwards. ;) ;)
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2007, 05:28:23 pm
I  think  Town  wanted  shot  of  him  wether  he  was  guilty  or  not.  All  they  were  looking  for  was  1  chance  and  they  got  it.  Infact  if  there  was  an  altercation  with  a  Fan  and  Stokes  it  wouldn't  surprise  me  if  it  was  all  staged  to  get  the  Town  coach  into  trouble.

Still  the  RFL  found  him  not  guilty  so  I  guess  he'll  have  a  good  claim  for  unfair  dismissal.

I thought that the RFL found "no case to answer"?

Offline champ

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2007, 06:27:17 pm
Unfair dismissal can be a tricky area

I hope that the Town board have dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's. Ged will also receive free legal aid. In my experience of tribunals regarding ex employee's the nearly always favor the employee rather than the employer.

I heard that Mr Anderson and Noble are in for the job

Monte
Thats because your a crap employer Monte  ;D ;D 8) 8) ::) ::)

Monte2carlo

Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2007, 08:01:32 pm
you cheeky uncle fester wanabe

Monte