:)

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #4 on: 04 Nov 2013, 08:26:36 am
they now have a easy game in quarters v the aussies  :D :D :D
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #5 on: 05 Nov 2013, 06:15:48 pm
The Tomahawks are guests of honour at our fireworks display tonight in Runcorn/Widnes.
This is because they have been training down here at the Widnes ground for the duration of their stay, and the local council are keen to make them feel at home while they are here.
Only the other day they were guests of honour at the local arts centre in Runcorn for a rendition of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and now tonight they will be our guests at the fireworks display, which has an American theme in their honour.
I know most of you won't know much about Runcorn, but our display is always right underneath the Runcorn Bridge, there is a gantry wall, which seperate's the River Mersey (which is tidal at Runcorn) and the Manchester ship canal ( which isn't, and is therefore navigable).
Anyway, because this gantry is equally distant from both Runcorn and Widnes, it means two crowds can gather, and more powerful fireworks can be used, so there is always thousands turning up, and the Americans should be in for one of the best displays in the North West.
Hopefully they can get an idea of what it is all about, alongside all the other World Cup teams staying in Great Britain.
No disrespect, but Halloween is an American thing, tonight they shall see what us British get up to at this time of the year!

beermatt42

Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2013, 09:00:21 pm
Well I hope the Americans enjoyed that, we've just got back now and it was a good display, some really awesome ones going off at the end there.
There was an American theme with the the music, Viva Las Vegas, New York, Born in the USA etc, but I think the team must have been on the Widnes side of the river because I didn't see them.  Someone did say though that they saw a lot of people in USA hoodies on the Runcorn side, so it could have been the team.
The crowds were huge, 25,000 in Widnes, and 36,000 in Runcorn, don't know who counts them all but it was bedlam getting out at the end, worse than going the match in fact, the one's at Old Trafford too.
Hope everyone enjoyed themselves in Whitehaven, i'm guessing your display might be down by the marina and hope the weather stayed alright anyway.
Hope all those other teams enjoyed tonight too, don't know what the foreigners must think of us British on Bonfires night LOL.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #7 on: 05 Nov 2013, 09:03:12 pm
Like everything in whitehaven matt cancelled or lost
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2013, 09:52:22 pm by haven94 »
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #8 on: 05 Nov 2013, 09:06:31 pm
Sorry to hear that Shaun, I really didn't know pal.

beermatt42

Reply #9 on: 06 Nov 2013, 12:31:46 pm
Can you imagine the local council leader getting ready to welcome the USA RLWC team, and a load of Aussies turn up?  :D :D
'This is our Captain, your reverence, 43 tests and counting (for Australia)' :D :D
Just done a quick check, out of the 24 man squad,

7 are Australian
5 are New Zealanders
2 are American Samoans
10 were born in the USA.

Ryan mcgoldrick      Australian
Sideshow Bob         Australian
Eddy pettybourne   New Zealander

The mayor must wonder how they all got into the squad  :D  Maybe playing ' Born in the USA' was a little tongue in cheek at last night's fireworks display  :D

No wonder they are doing so well.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2013, 12:33:29 pm by beermatt42 »

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #10 on: 07 Nov 2013, 01:51:29 pm
beermatt42:

I think the welcome that you put out for the American team is simply brilliant. Those gestures mean so much to visitors to the U.K. and they leave a lasting impression.

Rugby League isn't a large sport here in the States and ALL good news and reports make a difference in developing interest and partnerships.

Well done.

beermatt42

Reply #11 on: 07 Nov 2013, 03:00:35 pm
It's a pleasure to be hosting the USA RLWC Squad, Mrs Raaz.
They have had a great welcome to Runcorn and Widnes, and they in their turn have been great ambassadors for their country.
I will be routing for them tonight, in their final group game against Scotland, hopefully they can do themselves proud yet again and remain unbeaten.
They may be an emerging nation in the world of Rugby league, but hopefully they can build on their excellent World Cup display, and perhaps more of an interest can be taken in the game, back in the USA.
If you are interested in their time down here in Runcorn, just google up some keywords, ' Runcorn Tomahawks' should do it, and you can see how they have been spending their time here, alternatively, the local news website is called the Runcorn and Widnes World.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 07 Nov 2013, 06:37:54 pm
can remember when i was in florida and NY showing videos of rugby league to the locals there reply was always omg you english are crazy no helmets my reply was always no there for motorbikes  :D