HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Merge for Super League?

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #30 on: 24 Nov 2013, 10:12:41 am
Kev a secret like that would not be able to have been kept under wraps, someone is whistleing in the air, there is only one sponsor with the cash to do it 1. They aint gonna pump in excess of £1.25m into the recre only to move in 2015. 2. If you think that [or a sponsor does] that Workington will merge and play at the recreation ground your having a laugh - never. 3. It's more likely the franchise system will be scrapped so how would we get a west cumbrian team into SL? 4. There is no feasable way for the RLHQ to parachute a team from west cumbria into SL it would either mean a big expansion of SL not going to happen or the teams such as featherstone, Leigh and Halifax would most certainly take legal action. 5. Both teams would IMO bow to public opinion and NOT decide to merge.

Public opinion? There is more people in favour for a merge on this vote than against. And when is so called revamp of the rec going happen? It's been talked about for years and nothing has happened!
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #31 on: 24 Nov 2013, 10:48:39 am
I can't answer your second question you would have to address that to the BOD. However on your first point you are not seriously saying that this 'straw poll' above is representative of public opinion are you?

Online haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #32 on: 24 Nov 2013, 10:58:56 am
Got told at a christening off a sponsor couple of years ago that its happening
I've heard loads marra and we're not going with that lot.
born and bred haven.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 24 Nov 2013, 11:14:25 am
I can't answer your second question you would have to address that to the BOD. However on your first point you are not seriously saying that this 'straw poll' above is representative of public opinion are you?

No I am not, but how do you know wha the public opinion is? Have you asked every person from both towns?

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #34 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:06:12 pm

No I am not, but how do you know wha the public opinion is? Have you asked every person from both towns?
Why should everyone from both towns be asked? If they can't be bothered to support their team,they shouldn't be allowed a potential decision on a SL team. The only people who should be asked are those who actually go to the games, the ones who have most to lose if, sorry WHEN it goes tits up.
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #35 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:07:40 pm

Because a true fan would not want a merger, so if it came to a serious vote it would never happen, just like all the other muted plans of mergers.

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #36 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:11:54 pm
There are many reasons to be a bit cynical, and frustrated, regarding this premise and some of the comments in this thread.

First, and the elephant in the room, is funding. A merger would mean a new facility at a significant cost. At a time when Cumbria is experiencing cuts in services and facilities is it reasonable to go to the taxpayer and say "You really should pay for this?" As much as I'm an advocate of the sport I would be almost embarrassed to ask for those sorts of figures in the present financial climate.

Would it be prudent for a sponsor, especially one that has to answer to the community as a whole, to invest huge amounts of funds into a sports venture at a time when we have the Civil Hall closed, bin collections reduced and guest services in our downtown shopping area eliminated? Corporate responsibility in a community does require balance when looking at how best to contribute. The BBC states that 70 groups used the Civic Hall last year. Haven is only one entity amongst many in need of sponsorship.

My personal view is that if we want to aspire to and attain a higher level we should be working at ways to earn it. Sponsorships should be the "plus" side of operations, but not a crutch for under performance.

At the moment we are blessed with support groups and volunteers that are keeping things interesting...but we can do more and we can command our own destiny.

I don't pretend to know what's happening behind the scenes on this issue though I suppose I could make a few inquiries. However, in my mind, merger at the Championship level makes more sense at this time than merger and Super League, though my personal choice is for Haven to become the Club its capable of being.

« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2013, 12:13:44 pm by J.D. Raaz »

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #37 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:23:35 pm
it doesn't have to be a merger I had this chat with steve McCormack at one of the Scotland games.

keep Whitehaven town and barrow in the championship or championship 1.  then have your super league side playing Friday nights and have a deal if you watch the super league game (£15 on Friday night) get into the Whitehaven or town or barrow game (dependant on who you support) half price on the sunday (7.50)

have the super league side based at lillyhall plenty of spare land there.

ive noticed a lot of super league players tweeting they want a super league side in Cumbria imagine what sort of side we could get together built from just cumbrians??

1 brett carter
2 ade gardner
3 Jordan burns
4 scott mcavoy
5 Elliot miller
6 Jamie doran 
7 Gregg mcnally
8 glenn riley
9 shaun lunt
10 lee mossop
11 james donaldson
12 brett phillips
13 brad singleton

14 callum Phillips
15 karl olstrom
16 liam mcavoy
17 oliver wilkes

throw into that jarred stack, Jessie joe parker, and some of the younger lads, dom wear, ross ainley, jake moore, ben milburn, connor holiday, connor heatherington, lads who have been at super league sides for scholarship

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #38 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:42:24 pm
Mrs Raaz, I have raised all the issues you mention ad nauseum. A merge at championship level has less chance than a merge for SL.  Rockerlad sorry but you were indeed implying it was representative. I can only speak of the 'many' people I speak to and I can't think of any of them that favour a merger, though I am not saying that there are not some who would be for it, as for asking everybody in both Whitehaven and Workington no I haven't quite got round to that. The idea of Whitehaven and Workington remaining and a SL side operating in tandem - now that I find an interesting concept :tip: Of course the main problem there might be all three clubs chasing the same sponsors and the same BIG sponsor, the trouble with running respective sweeps and fund raisng activities and the competition for amateurs - so all aspects are fraught. At least one poster has said we should play at Lillyhall ie in Workington - for me never ever! I like MrsRaaz think there is so much potential in Whitehaven and I do think we could go it alone, if the club were re-organised.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #39 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:47:42 pm
it doesn't have to be a merger I had this chat with steve McCormack at one of the Scotland games.

keep Whitehaven town and barrow in the championship or championship 1.  then have your super league side playing Friday nights and have a deal if you watch the super league game (£15 on Friday night) get into the Whitehaven or town or barrow game (dependant on who you support) half price on the sunday (7.50)

have the super league side based at lillyhall plenty of spare land there.

ive noticed a lot of super league players tweeting they want a super league side in Cumbria imagine what sort of side we could get together built from just cumbrians??

1 brett carter
2 ade gardner
3 Jordan burns
4 scott mcavoy
5 Elliot miller
6 Jamie doran 
7 Gregg mcnally
8 glenn riley
9 shaun lunt
10 lee mossop
11 james donaldson
12 brett phillips
13 brad singleton

14 callum Phillips
15 karl olstrom
16 liam mcavoy
17 oliver wilkes

throw into that jarred stack, Jessie joe parker, and some of the younger lads, dom wear, ross ainley, jake moore, ben milburn, connor holiday, connor heatherington, lads who have been at super league sides for scholarship

How do you expect any of the 3 sides surviving on some paying £7-50 admission.

HW

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #40 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:55:08 pm
One would presume that the SL side would have to give a subsidy to the the two champ sides if they are giving away 1/2 price tickets. other than that it would have to be full price for both games which is OK really but again what if the SL were successfull would it perhaps kill off the two championship clubs and leave a sl side to maintain two grounds - not feasable which ground do we sell well Workington of course because the Rec is charity land whilst Town's ground can be sold - will Town fans like that possibility?

Offline Recre Faithful

• First Team Regular
Reply #41 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:59:38 pm
I wonder if Rockerlad would like it if his beloved Reds and Carlisle decided to merge cos it could be the only way of stopping them from being relegated this year
Whitehaven RLFC The real pride of cumbria

Remember not everything that talks with an Aussie accent is good enough to wear the Green & Gold

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #42 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:05:58 pm
 They could have one Super League team called Cumbria, and with ground improvements play their home games at Barrow, Town and Whitehaven on alternate days, but lets be fair it's not going to happen.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #43 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:19:32 pm
I wonder if Rockerlad would like it if his beloved Reds and Carlisle decided to merge cos it could be the only way of stopping them from being relegated this year

There is a deference we can get to the top, (probably won't) but haven can't get promoted as that option has been taken away.

If It was an option to merge with Carlisle to get premiership football in the county that would be a no brainier for me.

Online haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #44 on: 24 Nov 2013, 02:16:46 pm
We'll I'm confident this won't happen
born and bred haven.