HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

world cup final

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #30 on: 02 Dec 2013, 12:41:50 pm
dear martin, do you think in some strange waythis daft 'wrestle' as you put it is a reaction to the fact we have uncontested scrums?

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #31 on: 02 Dec 2013, 05:28:46 pm
think its more a case of slowing the game play while his team gets there defence line ready for the attack. youl see alot of the time they,l lay on and roll off just before the ref can blow his whistle.
as for scrums its just a straight ball threw and away its pointless imo

beermatt42

Reply #32 on: 02 Dec 2013, 05:47:53 pm
The scrum does serve one purpose, it takes the forwards out of the game, thereby making for more open play between the backs.
Any runners are not facing a full team of 13.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 02 Dec 2013, 05:59:37 pm
But surely Beer Matt an even number of defenders so I don't see your point. How many tries get scored from a scrum directly? They don't pack down as such and once the ball is out the forwards are in play within moments. The only reason we have scrums is because no  dick head [can I say that sorry]  at RFL has managed to come up with something blindingly stupid to replace it. They have ruined scrums and the traditional game and simply do not know what to do with scrums which is another reason the serious sporting press laugh at us.

beermatt42

Reply #34 on: 02 Dec 2013, 06:10:16 pm
Well I think there is a slight advantage to the attacking team, if only a momentary one.  I do see the points you are making, not many tries are scored directly from a scrum, that's true, but ground can be made going forwards, and although the forwards are back in play almost immediately, this can still be bypassed by quickly passing the ball out to the wings, away from the scrum.
There must be an advantage, I know if I was running down the pitch, I would rather be facing six or seven players than a full pack of thirteen.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #35 on: 02 Dec 2013, 09:13:40 pm
can remember when scrums would have big drives towards the lines and when the ball came out it was a fight to get it out to the backs before it was pounced on by the other player

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #36 on: 03 Dec 2013, 04:11:34 pm
The final we all expected who will win
Australia 28 New Zealand 12 for me

the poorest game of the tournament although australia just looked too good. new zealand were poor england took a lot out of them last week and it showed. billy slater and jonathon thurston world class to watch and worth the admission fee alone. we were on good trip and great company end to a great r.l season
born and bred haven.