HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

League restructuring

Guest · 34 · 3155

beermatt42

on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:42:12 pm
Well, this week there are two meetings of the Superleague clubs to try to resolve some of the issues left over from their famous walkout before the World Cup.
Tomorrow, in Huddersfield, there are talks about the governance of the game, which was a condition of Wigan Warriors, and more importantly, on Friday there is a vote on the restructuring of Superleague.
Promotion and Relegation have already been given the go ahead, with the licencing system scrapped for 2014, the issue now seems to be how many teams should be playing in Superleague, if it is reduced to 12 then two clubs will be relegated from Superleague at the end of 2014 and four teams will be relegated from the Championship.
If Superleague stays the same at 14 teams then two teams will be promoted and relegated from Superleague at the end of 2014.

This is what they will be voting on, although there is also a third option of reducing Superleague to 10 teams, it is thought that the majority of Superleague teams want to vote on reducing the number to 12, but you can never tell.
One things for sure, this is an important vote which will change the future of our game and will affect both Superleague and the Championship. So lets wish them well. 

Offline Haven Crazy

• First Team Backup
  • Is tho in yan? Is tho in yan? oohoo
Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2014, 09:50:40 pm
Anymore news with what's happening this season?
Can't stand Jam, eh!

beermatt42

Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2014, 10:32:20 am
The Superleague clubs are in St Helens today, voting on the future structure of the leagues, maybe we should know something by 5.00pm perhaps, and then we will all know what we are playing for this season, how many are being relegated etc, and from this day forth, we can all just get on with it.

London Bronco's seem to be aware of the relegation issues, both them and Bradford are busy rebuilding their teams, hopefully with an eye on avoiding relegation and the same thing will be going on in the Championship.  If one scenario gets voted for today, you will see four clubs being relegated from the Championship at the end of 2014, so it looks like this year could be a lot more competitive than usual, for both divisions.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2014, 10:44:13 am by beermatt42 »

Offline kev

• Academy Signing
Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2014, 04:48:11 pm
2015, haven/town will merge to become west cumbria! The bigwigs have got their way!

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2014, 04:57:24 pm
Don't believe it they can't do it this is a wind up.

beermatt42

Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2014, 05:03:47 pm
They've gone for 2x12, then 3x8 starting in 2015, I think that means that two teams will be relegated from superleague in 2014, and four teams will be relegated from the Championship.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugbyleague/sport/story/274771.html
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2014, 05:18:26 pm by beermatt42 »

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2014, 05:22:11 pm
Itl be a dog fight enda 2014 to stay up hope we keep  our performance going well till the end of the season this year

beermatt42

Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2014, 05:35:32 pm
I don't know how the magic weekend will fit into this, teams like London could argue they have been given an unfair tie, playing Catalans Dragons year after year, and the two points cost them Superleague status.

No wonder they haven't announced this years magic weekend fixtures yet, they are contrived to attract the most amount of fans, and usually go on local derbies, Hull FC V Hull KR, Castleford V Wakefield etc.  That's great for the paying spectators, but it's could be seen as nothing more than an exhibition,  which skews the league unfairly against some teams, it is an anomaly and may have to be scrapped.

The only other way of doing it is waiting to see what the league looks like in May, and then simply playing 1-2, 3-4, 13-14 etc, so the bottom two clubs play each other, and likewise with the top two, otherwise it could produce some unfair fixtures which affect the final league standings.

« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2014, 05:37:40 pm by beermatt42 »

Offline Steven DeMont

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2014, 06:13:43 pm

I sincerely hope one of the 'big' teams has a bad season and gets relegated. I'm sure there will be some caveat to allow the golden boys to retain the lions share of the TV money.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2014, 06:27:11 pm
Dear De Mont, it will be interesting to see the small print and all the fine detail. What ever it is I agree with you re the golden boys as you say but 2 x 12 and 3 x 8 has got disaster all over it and the disparty of finances for the three 8's [I think cos I don't understand it] will be crazy.

beermatt42

Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2014, 06:39:37 pm
I can't see it lasting longer than five years, it sounds crackers to me.

beermatt42

Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2014, 09:02:35 am
According to the BBC the season will be split into two and the first half will see two groups (superleague 1 & 2) of twelve play each other home and away, presumerably no magic weekend at this stage and then in the second half of the season they split into three groups of eight with the top and bottom groups retaining their points from the first half of the season, but the middle group starting from scratch, these three groups will then play seven games against all the other clubs, (presumerably three at home, three away and perhaps one at an expanded magic weekend).

There's still a lot of unanswered questions:

1, It looks like the play offs have changed, instead of a cup style knock out system, it now looks like it has changed to a league system, so how do we know who the Champions will be? Will they simply be the ones who finish top of the league of eight?  (If so, that will suit me as a Warrington supporter, who for years have seen teams finishing third and fourth being declared champions, which is ridiculous )

2, I am supposing that's how the magic weekend will fit into the great scheme of things, I may be wrong, so what exactly IS happening with the Magic Weekend?  Will it be expanded to include all 24 clubs?

3, What happens to the four teams who will be relegated from the Championship this year?   Will there be promotion to and from Superleague 2 or will that be a 'closed shop' like the way Superleague has been recently?   

4, Obviously, the middle group of eight all start from scratch because they will be coming from two different leagues, and simply cannot carry their points over, that's obvious, but how exactly will the promotion and relegation work with this group?  Will it be a case of the top four from that group going into Superleague 1 the next year, to make up the next group of twelve?

5, The most important point, how will the fans take to this incredibly complicated system?  Were they consulted?  Will it put some of them off?  Will they have to sit advanced mathematics classes?  Seriously, what will the fans make of this?

6, Finally, will this new system put some teams out of business?  Teams like London and Bradford are already at deaths door, will demotion be the final nail in the coffin?  And what about the four teams who will drop out of this system altogether, how will they survive?

Just some points which need clearing up so I hope the Rugby Football League has thought this out properly because it HAS to work.   From a fans point of view, I know Warrington won't be in any danger from this new system, so we will just get on with it and from a Whitehaven perspective, well I have seen many comments on this forum from people who are obviously frustrated and infuriated about the 'closed shop' system so personally I am all for this new system, it has my support and it can only be right that the lower tier has something to play for at the end of the season, and there is some real mobility between the two Superleagues.

I sincerely hope Whitehaven make the grade and hope to see you all in Warrington one day, I will personally reserve you all a seat at the Halliwell Jones stadium if I have to  :)  but I do worry about the four teams who won't be invited, so lets hope this works out for everyone, the future of our great game is at stake.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2014, 09:10:01 am by beermatt42 »

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2014, 09:11:40 am
sounds complicated to me p@r would of done
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2014, 09:14:55 am
Maybe you are right Shaun, it would have been better to keep it nice and simple, but who knows, maybe Whitehaven will get a few magic weekends out of it, doing it this way.
It's still sinking in pal.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2014, 09:36:10 am
Dear Beermatt, well I got half way through your first paragraph and got confused. Don't understand the top and bottom keeping points and the middle group starting as you say from scratch?? SL club complaining they play too many games with 27 now they will be playing [maths hopefully correct] 29 games and tha's without a magic weekend fixture which would make 30? I just think it's rubbish I'll give it one season two at most, and only two because they don't want to be seen backing down rightaway.