HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

New Sky Sports Contract

Guest · 29 · 2362

beermatt42

on: 30 Jan 2014, 10:14:29 am
Sky sports have announced a new five year deal to show enhanced coverage of Superleague.   The new contract will begin in 2017 and will include coverage of the whole sport, including the resumption of live championship action from 2015

looks like there will be more television coverage of the Championship from next year (the new era), and surely more money will be available for Championship teams to build upon, the new deal will be all inclusive  :)

http://www.runcornandwidnesworld.co.uk/sport/10974060.super_league_signs_new_deal_with_sky_sports/?ref=la
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2014, 10:36:11 am by beermatt42 »

beermatt42

Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2014, 10:16:52 am
That link doesn't appear to be working, try googling Runcorn and Widnes world, and look in the latest or sports column, I shall try to fix that link in the meantime, sorry about that.

beermatt42

Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2014, 10:37:16 am
I think it's working now.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2014, 10:57:36 am
i heard championship games might be on mondays and tuesdays as sky took over our thursdays
born and bred haven.

Offline JAYFORHAVEN

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2014, 11:17:27 am
I Spoke To Premier Sports This Morning They Told Me They Have The Rights For Championship Rugby And Don't Know Anything About Sky Doing Championship This Year Has They Have The Contract For It But They Said They Will Look In To It And Ring Me Back

beermatt42

Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2014, 11:19:22 am
Looks like you will soon be able to drop the Premier sports subscription and save some money too.  Sky also broadcasts in HD too, so you will get a better picture and not to mention the extra tv money going to Championship teams, it can only be for the good of the game as a whole.

It seems like Sky like the look of this new restructuring thing, and want to broadcast it to the nation.   I know four teams will miss out on this and that is a shame, but I have got every confidence in Whitehaven making the grade, no doubt about it, and if Workington can also stay in the top ten, then surely the West Cumbria derby will be one for the sky cameras?  Home and away. 

beermatt42

Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2014, 11:25:50 am
I Spoke To Premier Sports This Morning They Told Me They Have The Rights For Championship Rugby And Don't Know Anything About Sky Doing Championship This Year Has They Have The Contract For It But They Said They Will Look In To It And Ring Me Back

Jay, this only got announced this morning, so no wonder it has took Premier sports by surprise, but I think they will still continue to broadcast the Championship for this year 2014, but next year 2015 the Championship will be renamed to Superleague 2, and will be broadcast on sky.

This new contract doesn't start until 2017, and carries on into 2023, but Superleague and the RFL have also renegotiated the existing contract, which means Sky are now happy to broadcast Championship (or Superleague 2) rugby league from next year, they have also negotiated more Catalan home games to be broadcast from France.

Offline Recre Faithful

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2014, 12:39:31 pm
No doubts more money for the super duper league clubs where as the championship clubs will get bugger all as usual
Whitehaven RLFC The real pride of cumbria

Remember not everything that talks with an Aussie accent is good enough to wear the Green & Gold

beermatt42

Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2014, 12:54:12 pm
No doubts more money for the super duper league clubs where as the championship clubs will get bugger all as usual

Don't be so cynical RF, this new contract must be worth millions, and a lot of that money will see it's way down to the Championship clubs, no doubt about it.

It could be an attempt by Sky to lock out BT Sports from the market, because Sky have also announced enhanced coverage of several other sports too, so it seems like they are trying to corner the market and tie in a lot of sports with Sky, by offering improved contracts, come on pal, this can only be for the good of the sport eh?

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2014, 12:58:01 pm
Correct. The chamipnship clubs got sod all last time and will get sod all this time.
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2014, 12:59:01 pm

Don't be so cynical RF, this new contract must be worth millions, and a lot of that money will see it's way down to the Championship clubs, no doubt about it.

It could be an attempt by Sky to lock out BT Sports from the market, because Sky have also announced enhanced coverage of several other sports too, so it seems like they are trying to corner the market and tie in a lot of sports with Sky, by offering improved contracts, come on pal, this can only be for the good of the sport eh?

Sky missed out on the big one, BT got the rights to ALL European football.

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2014, 01:24:56 pm
Doubt we will get much money, from memory we didn't get a whole lot last time Sky came to town !

beermatt42

Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2014, 01:27:29 pm
Correct. The chamipnship clubs got sod all last time and will get sod all this time.

Well I don't know what can please some of you lot, firstly there was a lot of complaints about the closed shop system of Superleague, and rightly so in my opinion.  But the complaints centred on the fact that the old system was killing the lower leagues and with some people at least, there was an entrenched 'us and them' attitude towards Superleague.

Now the Championship is included in the new Superleague structure, and each club will now get substantially more Television money, there are still complaints!!!!    How can that be?  If it is thinly disguised jealousy at those who are perceived to be better than you, then there is no need to be jealous!!!     

I can speak for a lot of Superleague fans when I say that I for one welcome these new changes, it can only be for the good of the game as a whole and the old system was killing our game off.   The new way is all inclusive, we are all in it together and the game can only flourish as a result.

As a Warrington fan, my team has never been relegated and I can get tired of watching the same old teams all the time, it's always Hull, always Wigan, never any variety, well I for one would love to see teams like Whitehaven, Featherstone, Crusaders and Leigh at the Halliwell Jones stadium, lets get one thing straight, Superleague fans would love that sort of thing. Variety is the spice of life and the news today can only be good for the game of rugby league.

Offline Recre Faithful

• First Team Regular
Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:23:09 pm
Us championship fans know exactly what will happen the greedy SL clubs will get 90% of the cash and the rest of us get nothing like before where the clubs got nothing from sky for Thursday games
Whitehaven RLFC The real pride of cumbria

Remember not everything that talks with an Aussie accent is good enough to wear the Green & Gold

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:31:46 pm
Us championship fans know exactly what will happen the greedy SL clubs will get 90% of the cash and the rest of us get nothing like before where the clubs got nothing from sky for Thursday games
Correct.