HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

New Sky Sports Contract

Guest · 29 · 2348

Online haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:48:36 pm
Us championship fans know exactly what will happen the greedy SL clubs will get 90% of the cash and the rest of us get nothing like before where the clubs got nothing from sky for Thursday games

we lose money with tv games as more stay at home
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2014, 03:26:58 pm
No doubts more money for the super duper league clubs where as the championship clubs will get bugger all as usual
Correct. The chamipnship clubs got sod all last time and will get sod all this time.

Well some people aren't happy unless they are unhappy  :nod: :nod:

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2014, 05:09:46 pm
Looks like Premier Sports have pulled the plug - according to Martyn Sadler on Twitter......

Martyn Sadler ‏@MartynSadler
I hear that @PremierSportsTV have pulled out of their @RLChampionships coverage in 2014. An unfortunate effect of the new Sky deal.
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline AllezHaven

• First Team Backup
Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2014, 05:25:58 pm
Beermat can we see the money on the table, no I believe,  hope etc. Real money and where it goes. This saeson next season. Sounds a bit like we're all in it together and we all know whay that means the rich get richer and sod the rest.
Allez haven

Been supporting Haven since Gus Risman stood on my new mac. My ma gave me hell!

beermatt42

Reply #19 on: 03 Feb 2014, 06:25:14 pm
According to an article on todays BBC Rugby League website, Championship clubs will receive about £14.5 million from the new sky deal, with Superleague clubs getting £146 million and Championship 1 clubs getting about £1.8 million.

The new Sky deal is worth about £200 million so the remainder of the cash must be going to the RFL.

£14.5 million divided between 12 clubs would be worth £1.2 million each, surely more than what Premier Sports was offering, but it does have to last for eight years though.

There must be a good incentive to try and get promoted though, if SL clubs will be getting ten times as much. 

beermatt42

Reply #20 on: 03 Feb 2014, 06:37:58 pm
Ian Lenegan, the Wigan Warriors chairman also claims that clubs were 'coerced' into unanimity and he deeply regrets voting for the new deal and the new restructuring.
He was of course, the one who led the walkout in October and I did wonder how they all suddenly appeared unanimous after that, it didn't add up and once the vote had been taken, teams like Bradford and now Wigan are coming forward to complain about it all.
Hardly unanimous at all, they must have been coerced by the RFL and some at least are now regretting voting for it.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2014, 07:01:08 pm by beermatt42 »

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #21 on: 03 Feb 2014, 06:57:37 pm
I think the clubs only had 24 hours notice of the meeting and were told to accept the offer or lose it,and with a few of the super league clubs in financial trouble it was pushed through,don't think Mr Leneghan is too happy.

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #22 on: 04 Feb 2014, 01:31:15 pm
I think the clubs only had 24 hours notice of the meeting and were told to accept the offer or lose it,and with a few of the super league clubs in financial trouble it was pushed through,don't think Mr Leneghan is too happy.

Wasn't even that long - they had 2 hours to consider and accept it. The clincher was the fact that if it was accepted straight away then Sky would pay each club a "bonus" of £300,000 immediately.

Online noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #23 on: 04 Feb 2014, 01:37:43 pm

Wasn't even that long - they had 2 hours to consider and accept it. The clincher was the fact that if it was accepted straight away then Sky would pay each club a "bonus" of £300,000 immediately.
  Is the bonus to include Championship and Championship 1 clubs?

Online haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #24 on: 04 Feb 2014, 01:42:27 pm

deal or no deal
born and bred haven.

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #25 on: 04 Feb 2014, 02:04:26 pm
  Is the bonus to include Championship and Championship 1 clubs?

What do you think ?!

Anyway, the details of the deal have now been leaked and the actual amount for the leagues is £163.2m

From 2015, SL clubs will receive £1.825m each per season

The 2 SL clubs relegated this year will receive £788,000 each while in next year's Championship. The teams that finish 1st and 2nd in the Championship this season will receive £550k and £500k respectively for 2015 season. The rest will receive between £150k and £200k depending on league position.

Championship 1 clubs will receive £75k each.

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #26 on: 04 Feb 2014, 07:03:31 pm
Much better than expected, hope ours is spent on the ground and developing kids, unlike our last windfall 20 years ago.

beermatt42

Reply #27 on: 05 Feb 2014, 03:51:51 pm
There's another article on the BBC rugby league webpage now, this time Marwan Koukash is complaining about the deal, more or less saying the same as what Ian Lenegan was saying, about not being given enough time and about how they were coerced with the £300,000 payment offer and about how they didn't think of the future and how the value of the deal would diminish over time, and about how it wouldn't be enough to solve the games financial problems and about how they should have considered other 'deals' etc etc they have all been very foolish etc etc.

Sounds like some teams were blinded by greed, although in fairness to Koukash, he claims to have voted against it, he is still blinded by greed however if he thinks he would have got a better offer.

Perhaps he wanted to sell the rights to BT sports or someone else, thereby forcing the fans to take out another expensive subscription, hardly the peoples club if all he can think about is his own pocket at the expense of the loyal fans.

Brian Barwick is also in the article, utterly dismayed at the dissenters and I have to say, I agree with him and the St Helens Chairman who called the new deal a 'triumph'.

Wigan, Salford and especially Bradford ought to be grateful for the extra £300,000 and stop complaining, to publicise their dissent and the inner workings of the deal is disgusting when they are busy banking the money, how ungrateful can you get?
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2014, 03:53:24 pm by beermatt42 »

Offline Steven DeMont

• First Team Regular
Reply #28 on: 05 Feb 2014, 08:08:59 pm

It's all about greed and self preservation.