http://www.whitehavenrl.co.uk/article.php?id=12906

http://www.townrlfc.com/article.php?id=12903

Cumbria RFL Review
Tuesday 25th March 2014
Cumbria RFL ReviewStory in brief:
World Cup Review Cumbria
Review launched into the future of Rugby League in West Cumbria
Tuesday March 24, 2014

The future of Rugby League in West Cumbria is to be the subject of a major review involving a detailed study spearheaded jointly by the RFL, Whitehaven and Workington Town.
The review follows on from the success of Rugby League World Cup 2013, during which more than 14,000 people attended matches at Workington's Derwent Park stadium, and will focus on the sustainability of professional Rugby League in West Cumbria, as well as looking at the player pathway and development opportunities from within the community game.
The study will be led by consultant Alan Rapley who was the 1996 GB Olympic swimming team captain and has also been a swimming coach to numerous Olympic swimmers. Rapley now runs his own consultancy which ‘coaches coaches': his clients include the England Rugby League team along with numerous sports clubs and governing bodies.
Fans of Whitehaven and Workington, those involved in the community game and anyone with an active interest in the sport in the region will be encouraged to have their say as part of the consultation process, the findings from which will be published later this year.
Crowds of over 7,000 attended both the Scotland v Tonga and Scotland v Italy matches at Derwent Park last October and November as part of the most successful Rugby League World Cup of all time. Representatives of both West Cumbria clubs are keen to explore the opportunities presented by the positive impact the tournament had on the region.
Barry Richardson, Chief Executive of Whitehaven, said: "We welcome the plans for an independent review in support of the future of the game in West Cumbria.
"The Rugby League World Cup demonstrated to everyone that there is a far greater potential for the sport at a higher level in the region than is being realised currently.
"We would like to look at how we can capitalise on the success of the tournament and also examine how the game can be taken forward."
Dave Bowden, Strategic Development Manager of Workington Town said: "The success of RLWC2013 has stimulated the thoughts of key stakeholders across West Cumbria, and we are excited about the opportunities the legacy of the tournament presents.
"We welcome the study and look forward to what we anticipate will be a full, frank and open debate on how everyone involved can progress the sport in a region which has so much potential for growth."
RFL Director of Standards and Licensing Blake Solly said: "There are some significant opportunities to grow the game in West Cumbria, as well as some challenges that need careful consideration.
"We believe this independent review will stimulate honest and constructive dialogue across the region and allow everyone involved in Rugby League in West Cumbria to realise the sport's potential.
"Whitehaven and Workington Town should be congratulated on their proactive approach to this project which we hope will have far-reaching outcomes."
Alan Rapley said: "The study will be undertaken in four phases with the second phase including a comprehensive consultation exercise which will give people the opportunity to have their say on the state of the game in the region.
"The report will be finalised later this year and will make recommendations for future progress."
 Review launched into the future of Rugby League in West CumbriaFREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Review launched into the future of Rugby League in West Cumbria
Q: Why is the review required?
A: The RFL, Workington Town and Whitehaven RLFC all recognise that the professional game in West Cumbria is not realising the rich potential that exists in the region.
Crowds at both clubs have fallen over the past few years, a period which has also corresponded with a decline in commercial revenue.
The performances of both clubs on the pitch have fluctuated with the last major success for either being Whitehaven's win in the 2005 National League One Grand Final.
The Rugby League World Cup games staged at Derwent Park last autumn suggest there is a local appetite to watch the game at an elite level. A total of 14,890 spectators attended the two games and over 80 per cent of those people were from the region.
The strength of the community game and the Cumbrian Regional Academy also offer potential for further development and growth.
All these factors present a timely opportunity to properly analyse the current challenges aligned to opportunities to grow the game in West Cumbria.
Q: Who is leading the review?
The review is being led by Alan Rapley, a professional, independent consultant, whose appointment has been agreed by the RFL, Whitehaven and Workington. Alan's appointment will ensure that proper and thorough research is conducted to robustly evidence and document the current landscape.
Q: What is the RFL's role in the process?
A: The RFL are assisting and supporting the clubs in looking at the current state of the game and assessing what realistic options there might be in the future for sustainable development and growth.
The governing body is committed to working closely with both clubs to safeguard and protect their own interests, the interests of the game in West Cumbria and those of the wider sport.
Q: What is the role of Whitehaven and Workington Town?
Both clubs will play a full part in the review and have been actively involved in the discussions that have taken place so far.

Q: Is the outcome of the study that the two clubs will merge?
A: The scale of the review will be far ranging and will consider all options. The report will make recommendations based on the consultation and research and it is too early to pre judge what these might be. There is no ‘pro-merger' agenda being driven by anyone involved in this project.
Q: What about the community game?
A: The community game is an important part of the process and proper consultation will take place with clubs, leagues and associations to determine what barriers exist and examine opportunities for the player pathway from the community game through to the professional game.
Q: What are the timescales for the review to be completed?
A: It is anticipated that the review will be completed in late summer (2014).
Q: What is the next stage after the review has been completed?
A: The review will document the process undertaken, present research findings and make recommendations. The clubs and The RFL will then agree on the next stage looking at their own interests and the wider interests of the sport in West Cumbria.
Q: How can I contribute to the process?
A: There will be a number of opportunities throughout the consultation process for people to contribute. Alan Rapley will outline how and when through various channels including local media and club websites.
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:33:11 am
This morning both Whitehaven and Workington Town have announced that a review into Cumbrian Rugby League after the success of 2013 RLWC despite falling crowds for both sides.

http://www.whitehavenrl.co.uk/article.php?id=12906

The end is nigh

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:43:54 am
This is the first step to a merger,at the end of the review no doubt extra funding and guarenttee d SL1 place will be offered to produce a west Cumbrian SL team
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:46:14 am
I know one thing - I won't be as well as many haven fans will not be supporting a merged side

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline gmc66

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:57:35 am
No doubt merger is main topic in this review...as both clubs agreeing to sit down together its only a matter of time now RIP WRLFC :( :(

Offline Havener

• Global Moderator
  • Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:02:17 pm
Doesn't look good.

Offline flipflop

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:06:27 pm
about time. Bring it on

Offline kiss the snake

• Fans Favourite
Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:10:05 pm
Well I suppose  we all knew it was coming.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:10:39 pm
When I hear the word consultant I shiver, another group of bloodsucking leeches similar to the ones who robbed the area of over a million and a half pounds recently. Of course the fact the guy is a swimmer and his assistants are profuse in both tug of war and darts also fills me with bags of confidence. This is merger by the back door. Would anyone like to take a bet that merger related matter WILL figure significantly in the debate. I will go further and say an agenda has allready been set out. I also believe that the predicted outcome will opt for a merger. There WILL be a pro merger agenda, if not why are they saying it's one of the questions. Finished and presented by late summer i.e. early September, four weeks to write it up early august. We are in April almost, so four months [less as they have yet to announce the how when and why] the decisions have been made IMO this is window dressing, three and a half months to save our clubs.

Offline flipflop

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:16:45 pm
or 3 and a half months to be positive for a merger. Both teams are dying as we speak

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:25:05 pm
What are phases 1 3 and 4?

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:27:55 pm
I have no problem with a new team from SL,with haven and town carrying on .
You only have to look at
Barrow/Carlisle
Hull/Gateshead
Huddersfield/Sheffield

All mergers brought about by the RFL and finance and all failed
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline flipflop

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:34:48 pm
aint the money to have sl and 2 teams
one club

Online haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:36:28 pm
no thanks
born and bred haven.

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:38:13 pm
expect to see it on border news tonight .........