HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Cumbria RFL Review

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #30 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:12:14 pm
The speedway pulled in more than town and haven combined this weekend.
Both clubs dying fast.

Would you merge your beloved reds with Carlisle cos there both dying? No you wouldn't so why should we with them lot

Yes I would if it meant seeing top class football.
But this isn't a debate about reds it's about town and haven, we claim west Cumbria is a rugby league heart land and hotbed don't we? Well looking at our professional sides it's not!
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #31 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:13:47 pm
Dear davo 5, I think that is the understatement of the year, but the future is in the hands of the clubs themselves at Whitehaven we need a massive reorganisation and re launch of the club with new innovative ideas but that isn't happeneing and we are not as a club taking our own destiny in our own hands.

Put yourself forward to join the BOD then and help with this relaunch and new ideas.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #32 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:14:55 pm
Both clubs dying fast.

Would you merge your beloved reds with Carlisle cos there both dying? No you wouldn't so why should we with them lot
But this isn't a debate about reds it's about town and haven, we claim west Cumbria is a rugby league heart land and hotbed don't we? Well looking at our professional sides it's not!

well i will gladly stay as we are and leave that lot were they are.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2014, 02:17:24 pm by haven94 »
born and bred haven.

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #33 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:16:47 pm
The trouble is both clubs are being run by a small group of enthusiastic amateurs with no money behind them,they can reorganise all they want but if money does not come into the clubs I fail to see how things can turn around.Crowds are dwindling away,young people are not interested in supporting either teams,I'm 47 and was one of the younger ones on the popular side on Sunday!

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #34 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:25:37 pm
I for one would like too see a new club in Cumbria for every young person coming through the ranks at every amateur club. What better incentive for youngsters knowing that they could play super league rugby in there own back yard, every amateur club in Cumbria would become a feeder club/provider ov young talented players who could be picked up by our own Cumbrian club rather than the big clubs in super league, if this goes ahead the money/sponsorship would be immense for all clubs involved going to all grass roots levels providing top class rugby league in our area. I love supporting haven but Cumbria deserves better than what we are getting at the moment!

Offline Havener

• Global Moderator
  • Academy Star
Reply #35 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:26:19 pm
Both clubs dying fast.

So basically you'd sell your soul then? You're losing two teams with history for a venture which may not be a success. Especially if the public doesn't back the idea.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #36 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:32:20 pm
Both clubs dying fast.

So basically you'd sell your soul then? You're losing two teams with history for a venture which may not be a success. Especially if the public doesn't back the idea.
Wanting something better for the future is not selling your soul. I am sick of watching substandard sport in Cumbria (football and rugby) whilst the rest of the country gets something better.

Offline Havener

• Global Moderator
  • Academy Star
Reply #37 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:36:25 pm
Both clubs dying fast.

Wanting something better for the future is not selling your soul. I am sick of watching substandard sport in Cumbria (football and rugby) whilst the rest of the country gets something better.
No guarantee it would be better. Would need backed financially and by fans. The majority on thread seems to be against the merger too.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #38 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:36:59 pm
Dear davo 5, I think that is the understatement of the year, but the future is in the hands of the clubs themselves at Whitehaven we need a massive reorganisation and re launch of the club with new innovative ideas but that isn't happeneing and we are not as a club taking our own destiny in our own hands.

Put yourself forward to join the BOD then and help with this relaunch and new ideas.
And how would you suggest anyone in Whitehaven could do that?

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #39 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:43:25 pm

And how would you suggest anyone in Whitehaven could do that?
Approach the club.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #40 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:53:07 pm
That's a bit simplistic Rockerlad but I take your point but with ownership of the club so polarised who would want to invest?

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #41 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:56:13 pm
Whilst I tend to take a "watch carefully" opinion regarding merger there are a few things about this that are simply puzzling.

"Crowds at both clubs have fallen over the past few years, a period which has also corresponded with a decline in commercial revenue."

I suppose that if you strongly desire a merger then lack of activity and development could simply be tools for a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The other initial point of concern is who they have hired to oversee this "independent review". Mr. Rapley, though he has a very interesting, accomplished and creative background in coaching, does not have any background or certification that I can identify in business development or economics. Mr. Rapley's degree, I believe, is from the University of Arkansas in Exercise Science.

If this is supposed to be a serious examination of the issue then I'm not sure that a "coach's coach" provides the tools needed. Coaching is certainly not relevant to the myriad of issues related to a potential merger.

If anyone could identify any substantive degree/certification that Mr. Rapley holds that's applicable to the business side of the issue I would certainly feel more confident.

« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2014, 02:59:56 pm by J.D. Raaz »

Offline Ryan

• First Team Backup
Reply #42 on: 25 Mar 2014, 03:18:18 pm
How is a merger going to guarantee better rugby?

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #43 on: 25 Mar 2014, 03:32:37 pm
Well said Mrs.Raaz, I hate consultants, there IS a HIDDEN agenda here!

Offline Steven DeMont

• First Team Regular
Reply #44 on: 25 Mar 2014, 03:34:57 pm
Anyone against this merger is against the future hopes of many kids who haven't and will never get the opportunity to play elite level rugby league.

Both clubs have no future as seperate entities.

I sincerely hope a vocal minority who haven't the vision to see what will or could happen to the future of RL in Cumbria should a merger not be explored.

Up the Cumbrians!