HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
on: 28 Mar 2014, 08:45:38 am
1036 at last nights game was i missing something never was. must be counting the tv crew etc etc what a joke london are.
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2014, 09:35:49 am
It looks an half decent away ground, I noticed that all the Castleford fans were put in the opposing main stand, meaning they all got a seat.
I even recognised three of them, Theres a lad from York who I got chatting to in Warrington last year, and two birds who seem to pop up everywhere, I've met them in Warrington, at the Etihad and at the World cup final at Old Trafford, they are obviously diehards who follow their team everywhere, they were all jubilant enough last night and Castleford are easily some of the best fans in SL, always a good laugh and never any trouble.

It looks a half decent ground but sadly I've now missed my chance because London obviously wont be around next year, I am starting to wonder if they can even win a single match at all this year, I mean on that display I honestly don't think they can beat anyone, not Wakefield, not Catalan, probably not Bradford or Hull KR, so will they go a whole season without winning a single match?  and has that ever been done before?  Probably by Runcorn Highfield circa 1988 but it's not looking good for the Bronco's.

I shall miss their fans, they also are some of the best in SL, that incessant chant of 'London, London, London', goes on everywhere, last year a mere five London fans managed to out-chant 9,600 Wire fans and it really was a marvel to behold them, they sang throughout the whole 80 minutes even when they were well beaten and you have got to admire that tenacity. It really was a case of London Calling.

Are they going to be as bad as Runcorn Highfield?  Will they survive the drop into SL2? I don't know, but it will be sad to see them go, last nights match showed you two of the best sets of fans anywhere in the country and it's that 1,000 odd people that I feel sorry for.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2014, 09:38:57 am by beermatt42 »

beermatt42

Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2014, 10:02:11 am
Just done my homework, according to Wiki, Runcorn Highfield lost 61 matches on the trot between January 89 to February 91, a massive two whole years! in  fact slightly over two years and I think that is still a record to this day.

London have a long way to go to equal that infamous record, but still seven losses out of seven is a good start, and I can't see where their first win is going to come from, they showed some spirit against Warrington in the first half and at least scored a single try last night but they do look odds on to finish the season without a single point.

Dunno if you ever saw Runcorn Highfield Shaun, I never did, despite living in the town.  I can remember them being the talk of the town, but for all the wrong reasons, two years without a win is abysmal LOL.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2014, 12:29:32 pm
Just done my homework, according to Wiki, Runcorn Highfield lost 61 matches on the trot between January 89 to February 91, a massive two whole years! in  fact slightly over two years and I think that is still a record to this day.

London have a long way to go to equal that infamous record, but still seven losses out of seven is a good start, and I can't see where their first win is going to come from, they showed some spirit against Warrington in the first half and at least scored a single try last night but they do look odds on to finish the season without a single point.

Dunno if you ever saw Runcorn Highfield Shaun, I never did, despite living in the town.  I can remember them being the talk of the town, but for all the wrong reasons, two years without a win is abysmal LOL.

matt i saw runcorn highfield and the old huyton team what a place to go that was. there coach was called fletcher he done everthing at that club but they were awful.
born and bred haven.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2014, 12:34:46 pm
And Liverpool [City was it] before that sean at Knotty Ash stadium, geoff Fletcher always managed to beat Whitehaven, he had a very famous wig and could pass the short ball par excellance played for Wigan and others previously.

beermatt42

Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2014, 12:51:32 pm
I can't talk for Huyton, but it was Dave Chisnall who managed Runcorn during that infamous period, a man who was a much better player than he was a manager, and more of a legend in Warrington, I can still remember observing an impeccable minutes silence for him at last years Warrington v Castleford match.

I remembered him as the Runcorn coach, and how come what may, he managed to get our short lived team into the record books,  :)

Geoff Fletcher's  famous wig  :D 
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2014, 12:53:58 pm by beermatt42 »

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2014, 01:13:21 pm
And Liverpool [City was it] before that sean at Knotty Ash stadium, geoff Fletcher always managed to beat Whitehaven, he had a very famous wig and could pass the short ball par excellance played for Wigan and others previously.

thats right cran cran my uncle dan went to liverpool city. i got to huyton(alt park) what a place and went to runcorn highfield. he was a card that geoff fletcher.
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2014, 01:28:14 pm
The Canal Street ground in Runcorn is now sadly demolished Shaun, but at one time, Doreen used to go to all the Runcorn F.C home matches there, it was shared with Highfield when they came along, but sadly there was never much interest in RL in Runcorn back then, So Fletcher and Chisnall were up against it with no money coming in and an awful team to boot.

It's now a posh new housing estate on the edge of the Bridgewater canal, there's still a pub on Canal Street called the Navigation, which is really old and dilapidated, apparently the Captain of the Titanic used to drink in there when he lived in Runcorn, but it will always be haunted for me because our best friend died in there last April from a stroke at the age of 31.

We knew the publican family really well, and used to go upstairs there all the time, but call it what you will, memories, ghosts, flashbacks, the last time I went in there I could still see him rushing down the stairs to greet us, never been back since. But shall bring a large Bouquet to the anniversary, if only to lay that ghost to rest once and for all.  :)

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2014, 01:54:47 pm
The Canal Street ground in Runcorn is now sadly demolished Shaun, but at one time, Doreen used to go to all the Runcorn F.C home matches there, it was shared with Highfield when they came along, but sadly there was never much interest in RL in Runcorn back then, So Fletcher and Chisnall were up against it with no money coming in and an awful team to boot.

It's now a posh new housing estate on the edge of the Bridgewater canal, there's still a pub on Canal Street called the Navigation, which is really old and dilapidated, apparently the Captain of the Titanic used to drink in there when he lived in Runcorn, but it will always be haunted for me because our best friend died in there last April from a stroke at the age of 31.

We knew the publican family really well, and used to go upstairs there all the time, but call it what you will, memories, ghosts, flashbacks, the last time I went in there I could still see him rushing down the stairs to greet us, never been back since. But shall bring a large Bouquet to the anniversary, if only to lay that ghost to rest once and for all.  :)

now you have the ghost of the wire matt  :D :D :D :D
born and bred haven.

Offline kiss the snake

• Fans Favourite
Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2014, 02:59:51 pm
Funny you should mention that I have just spotted a programme on ebay from 1959 haven v Liverpool city

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2014, 03:17:12 pm
Funny you should mention that I have just spotted a programme on ebay from 1959 haven v Liverpool city

were you not at the game snakey  :D :D :D :D. i have loads of old programmes from the 50s and 60s passed down there paper thin.
born and bred haven.

Offline kiss the snake

• Fans Favourite
Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:15:08 pm
I wasn't but if you were you wouldn't have paid !!!!!

Offline the bricky

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:32:20 pm
Did fletcher not play for town.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:37:05 pm
Can't remember but wouldn't say he didn't.

Offline the bricky

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2014, 07:04:39 pm
Just googled him yes he did.