HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Why are we shocked ???

Offline haven marra

• Academy Star
on: 07 May 2007, 11:21:35 am
To Doncaster beating us,

It has been coming for a while now and any fan who says it hasn't has different eyes to me.
Yes we have been winning but not in style, we are struggling away from home and just scraping away results so its no shock that we got beat.
We are clueless at the moment and miles behind Cas and Widnes, we are going backwards and DR has his work cut out to get us back on track.
It can be done and i hope DR can get us back on track but for me it was no shock.

Offline Javtee

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 07 May 2007, 12:01:36 pm
I have to agree to a certain extent.  I've watched all of the away matches this year and your right, they have just been scraping through.  I read the reports about the Batley game in the local papers making this out to be a wonderful performance, when in fact they should have buried them in the second half.  The main problem is the lack of quality forwards on the field.  If the opposing teams pack is on top from the start of the game then the backs haven't got a chance.  On paper our pack isn't bad, but when was the last time we were able to field them all together through injuries.  Bringing kids into the team to get them valuable experience is one thing but when we are relying on them as front line forwards then its asking to much.  Using  Leroy Joe & Graeme Mattinson as battering rams isn't clever either.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 07 May 2007, 01:38:58 pm
The Batley first half was terrible so many errors and we got stung for it. We cant play like that against the main teams or we wont even get a brucey bonus point lol.
Haven need to go on from the start and give 110% not half way threw the first half like they have been with alot of the games.
I hope the ribbet game will get there fingers out and play like class they are and can be.
Come on lads give them HAVEN !!!!

Offline recregoer

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 07 May 2007, 01:49:21 pm
The Batley first half was terrible so many errors and we got stung for it. We cant play like that against the main teams or we wont even get a brucey bonus point lol.
Haven need to go on from the start and give 110% not half way threw the first half like they have been with alot of the games.
I hope the ribbet game will get there fingers out and play like class they are and can be.
Come on lads give them HAVEN !!!!

I think the way we're playing has a lot to do with the rotation of our hookers. Yesterday Sice was poor so he brought Mattinson on and it changed the game. He then took him off again at 16-16 and we went to pieces again. The exact same happened last week when Sice came on for Smith after 20 minutes when we were 18-8 up and went in at 18-18 at half time i think DR needs to realise taking players off when there playing well is damaging the team, when we're on top changing hookers totally changes the way the team is playing. We also need to get rid of these forward passes because i've little doubt referees have picked up on us passing forward a lot and yesterday we were punished by having a try disallowed for a forward pass that was never ever a forward pass.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 07 May 2007, 03:54:33 pm
We  have  4  quality  players  who  can  play  at  9  and  I  would  say  its  probably  DR's  hardest  job  when  he  picks  the  side  which  one  to  play.

Sicey  is  probably  an  out  and  out  9  whilst  Smith  does  well  at  13.  Lester  can  play  9 , 13  and  2nd row.  Same  goes  for  Matty.  Keeping  them  all  happy  though  is  impossible

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 07 May 2007, 05:35:25 pm
We  have  4  quality  players  who  can  play  at  9  and  I  would  say  its  probably  DR's  hardest  job  when  he  picks  the  side  which  one  to  play.

Sicey  is  probably  an  out  and  out  9  whilst  Smith  does  well  at  13.  Lester  can  play  9 , 13  and  2nd row.  Same  goes  for  Matty.  Keeping  them  all  happy  though  is  impossible

Keeping them happy doesnt win games, picking your best 17 does, if a player is not happy not been selected, maybe its time he moved on.

TW