HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Are we another Doncaster?

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
on: 01 May 2007, 07:11:01 pm
Are we another Doncaster?  A club with a hard core of supporters that will come out and watch the team no matter what, but with a town full of people that will never come out en masse to support the club?

I've heard quite a few fans recently saying that they think Haven should stay in NL1 as Super League would be the end of the club as they just don't think the crowds would be big enough to sustain a SL squad.

It seems at the moment that the panic over franchises and entry to SL is starting to bite at some clubs.

Whats everybodies oppinion, will we ever get to SL?
Will the people of Whitehaven support the club in big enough numbers if we do?
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Monte2carlo

Reply #1 on: 01 May 2007, 08:43:34 pm
It would be great to watch super league in west cumbria, however the only way it will happen if there is a joint bid from Haven and Town. If the stadiums were both brought upto modern standards and the fans moved forward it could happen, one game at haven one week and the other game at Town. If London can survive on average gates a little larger than Haven we should be ok.

I know le champ will kill me for this posting

Monte

Monte

Offline African exile

• First Team Backup
Reply #2 on: 02 May 2007, 05:34:13 am
Surely its better to retain your own identity. anyway why should we join up with the scum. The best two teams in cumbria at the moment are Haven and Barra so the logical thing would be to share between Haven and Barra.
 My personal opinion is if we did get to the promised land( on our own) then the crowds would probably average around 4000 so would this sustain a decent team?
 is it not preferable to watch a winning team almost every week consisting of many local players than a team of mercenaries that would have to come in if we went up?
If it's a girl they're naming her Sigourney after an actress, if it's a boy the 're naming him Rodney after Dave

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 02 May 2007, 09:59:25 am
surley if we did get to super league more would come to watch haven but its all down to the stand again! Anno theres a meeting at west lakes this or next week so fingers crossed.
If we were to join forces where would this super team ground be.

specialbrew92

Reply #4 on: 02 May 2007, 10:16:39 am
Well if WLR get there finger out we could have 2 stadiums one in Whitehaven and the other up the road

Monte

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #5 on: 02 May 2007, 12:54:40 pm
When Town were in SL1, summer rugby league was a new innovation and we looked forward to trips to Paris and London.   The crowds at home averaged about 3,000 - 3,500 but set off higher and dropped away as the team lost match after match.   Since that time people have got more used to doing other things through the summer months and I doubt now that Town could average anywhere near 3,000 and the same goes for Haven.   

Don't forget a lot of the numbers in our home average were visiting fans from the bigger clubs Leeds, Wigan, Saints, etc, so there wasn't many locals making up the crowds.    Again, a lot of fans don't travel as much now if they think that their team is going to have an easy win, family wanting to do something else, etc, so I think it would be very difficult for either of our two clubs to go it alone for more than one season.

However, at the end of next season there will be no more promotion and relegation and promotion will have to be earned on many areas such as financial support, playing ability, youth and academy set ups, and not least of all ground minimum standards.   Haven (or Town) might be able to put forward a decent franchise bid but would it be good enough to dislodge one of the current clubs who have had the benefit for several years of Sky TV money.   I doubt it.

I said it when Town were top dogs and got accused of Town wanting to take over.    Now that Haven are top dogs I say it again, we need a Cumbrian team in Super League, and because of the rivalry (and some bigotry on both sides) the only way that I see that happening is through a new club.   The longer we put that off the bigger start all the other clubs will have on us and it will become harder for even a new club to get in.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

specialbrew92

Reply #6 on: 02 May 2007, 02:56:47 pm
keith,

good points there, but the only way cumbria will ever see super league RL is a joint venture or a new club to be formed

However you must ask yourself would i go and see them or the team i have followed for over 20 years ?

Monte

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #7 on: 02 May 2007, 08:35:32 pm
Monte, I've watched Town for 58 years man and boy and I've seen them winning the major trophies BUT I would still support a new venture if it meant that we could have a new club in SL, mate.     

I would like my grand-kids to be able to go every other week and watch some of the world's best playing at either Whitehaven or Workington in new stadia.     If we don't we will get left way behind in the rugby league world with a patronising game of Cumbria versus Tinbucthree or somebody every year.

It is time for West Cumbria to wake up as the chance isn't going to be there forever.   When you talk to people unconnected with either of our clubs they cannot understand why a small area like ours doesn't get together.    As Rob Purdham says the talent is here but it has nowhere to go.   

Step forward some men with money and vision to get a new venture going in West Cumbria and I would bet that if they got a club in SL people would rather go and watch their games than Town v Blackpool or Haven v Rochdale.    Some might sneak in rather than admit it but it is true.!!!!

popularsider

Reply #8 on: 02 May 2007, 08:48:55 pm
purdham is right

say whitehaven went in as the cumbrian super league team town could supply players and get them match fit by playing in nl1
id also like to see a cumbrian team

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #9 on: 02 May 2007, 11:34:05 pm
It's that sort of thinking that won't work popularsider, as neither of our present clubs would act as a feeder club for the other, we all know that.

What Purdham is saying is that both our present clubs act as feeder clubs for a new club, which could be the best option for everyone.   People could go and watch their present team when the SL team is away if they wish and the SL games could alternate between Whitehaven's new stadium and Workington's new one.

haven1985

Reply #10 on: 03 May 2007, 08:13:57 am
utter garbage,