HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Ukulele orchestra of great britain.

Guest · 18 · 1061

beermatt42

on: 26 May 2014, 11:24:56 am
Anyone ever heard of them?  Dunno if you have seen them on skyarts or youtube but these guys are brilliant!  They are a mix of theatre, comedy and live music, playing all sorts of stuff you wouldn't expect from the Ukelele such as Born to be wild, Silver machine or Wuthering heights.

Anyway, they are playing at the Huddersfield Ukulele festival on September 14th, if anyone is genuinely interested in that, you could even watch Huddersfield v St Helens the same day, and then walk down from the stadium to the town hall and watch this lot.

It would be the last game of the season, and you would have a music festival thrown in. Sounds like a good weekend away to me.
You could even visit the rugby league museum and the George Hotel where it all started.

I've always liked George Harrison's experimentation with instruments like that, and George Formby is Buried not so far away in Warrington, but these guys blow them out of the water, check them out on youtube.

Check out their version of the good the bad and the Ugly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6KhZo3sYQho
« Last Edit: 26 May 2014, 11:48:18 am by BeerMatt44 »

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 26 May 2014, 12:00:49 pm
Dear BM, why are they playing on a Sunday? I might just have a go at that. Do you have a number for the ticket office? Always thought he was buried somewhere in Wigan. have a couple of Uke's but have never quite mastered them.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 26 May 2014, 12:02:05 pm
That link wont display/let me listen do you have another by any chance?

beermatt42

Reply #3 on: 26 May 2014, 12:15:36 pm
I think I might have fixed the link now Cran Cran, if not, just go on youtube and type in their name and look for the good the bad and the ugly.
They have got their own website, which will give you all the details of tickets and dates for the summer, they are playing a couple of festivals and stately halls etc, but that Huddersfield gig seems the best one to me.

Might even see you there if you are genuinely interested.

beermatt42

Reply #4 on: 26 May 2014, 12:26:15 pm
Here's another one, this one has had nearly five million hits.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pLgj7K0X-s

Yep, that one seems to be broken, but the first one works alright on my computer, type it in on the youtube website if it is any easier.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2014, 12:29:00 pm by BeerMatt44 »

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 28 May 2014, 08:55:37 am
Couldn't get the link to work at all, my mate said to look on such and such so will do later today, don't know what I was talking about them playing on a Sunday :-[, as I only watch Sl on Tv I was wondering why they were playing on sunday - senior moment methinks. By coincidence talking to a body in the street yeasterday from Huddersfield and she said George Hotel closed for rennovations but she didn't know if it would be open by September - any idea?

beermatt42

Reply #6 on: 28 May 2014, 09:45:29 am
Well, it may be closed, run down and dilapidated but it's still there, any rugby league fan who is visiting Huddersfield should at least pay it a passing visit, or maybe a photograph or two, nearby is also the national rugby league museum.

They also have one of the best stadiums in rugby league, so well worth a visit, especially when there is a music festival in town too.

There is also somewhere called Castle Hill, with an old stone tower overlooking the town, I believe you can see all of the town from up there, including the stadium and listed railway station, so all in all, well worth a visit.

Offline AllezHaven

• First Team Backup
Reply #7 on: 28 May 2014, 06:07:42 pm
I have an album made by Joe Brown called strangely enough " the Ukelele Album " not bad including Pinball Wizard. In huddersfield of course or not far out is Holmfirth, Summer Wine country. Great pub called the Nook round the back of the town. In Hudds itself there's the Kings Head on the station, NOT the head of steam which is a posers spot and the Rat and Ratchet on the way down to where I live Lockwood. Oh and The Albert near the town hall which has a heritage listed bar. Over the bar there is an Oscar Wilde quote. "work is the curse of the drinking classes". Of course I only know of these places by reputation!! ;) ;)
Allez haven

Been supporting Haven since Gus Risman stood on my new mac. My ma gave me hell!

beermatt42

Reply #8 on: 28 May 2014, 08:07:40 pm
Sounds a great place to be Allezhaven, although I have never been, I keep meaning to but I have missed Warrington's visit for this year so it's either that Ukulele festival and the St Helens match or I will have to wait til next year instead.

I met some of your fans at some of the Warrington pubs though, decent folk one and all, even when they said Brett Hodgson had his best days at wire and not Hudds, good folk the lot of them.

Sounds like that Ukulele festival would be right up your street, you should check this group out on youtube, they are hilarious.

So when I am next in town, is that Castle Hill worth a visit, is it true you can see the stadium from up there?   Funnily enough, we also have a Castle Hill here in Runcorn too, with my favourite pub at the top, it's built into the ruins of an old norman castle and is worth the walk alone just for the view.

You can see the Runcorn bridge from up there and Liverpool beyond including the big Anglican cathedral in the distance, looking in other directions you can also see Winter Hill near Wigan, the moors around Manchester, Frodsham Hill, and Helsby Hill with the Clwyd mountains behind them, also if you are very lucky sometimes you can see Jodrell bank space telescope in the distance on the Cheshire plain.

It's excellent buying a pint and sitting up there sometimes, the view is something else, is there a pub on the Huddersfield Castle Hill?

Offline AllezHaven

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 29 May 2014, 09:40:46 am
No pub on castle hill and no access without transport.
If coming to Huddersfield get a return to Dewsbury and have a drink at the bars on the stations at Dews, Stalybridge and Huddersfield(two). Plenty of buses to Holmfirth from the bus station just up from the rail station. DONT get the 308 unless you want a tour of west yorkshire. Seriously if you come over this way and would like a guide I'm at your service. Jist get in touch before you come over.

Dave
Allez haven

beermatt42

Reply #10 on: 29 May 2014, 09:55:03 am
Well, I've always liked the look of Huddersfield pal, if I don't make it for that music festival I will definitely show up next year when Warrington are in town, it's got to be the only all seater stadium I have never been to.

It would be handy to have a local guide also Dave, seriously, I want to do a proper tour of the town, not just going to the stadium and watching the match but I want to see the George Hotel, the rugby league museum, the stadium (of course) and I wouldn't mind getting a taxi up to that Castle Hill, having a look at the view from up there and then maybe walking back into town in time for the match, that's got to be better than an evening in Hull!

I am seriously considering that music festival too, we were really disappointed when we missed the trip to Huddersfield earlier this year, every year we try to visit somewhere where we have never been before, it's better than going to the same old familiar Llandudno every summer.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2014, 09:59:38 am by BeerMatt44 »

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 29 May 2014, 10:39:01 am
Tickets still avaialable but going fast, The George Hotel is closed but laddo from T.I.C. says it will reopen but he's not 100% sure if it will be a hotel apparantley some planning issues but he wasn't sure just what.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 29 May 2014, 01:30:53 pm
Just found out George Hotel is being converted into a 30 room hotel with function rooms, a coffee shop, a dental surgery and eleven apartments. Should re open within a year or so.

beermatt42

Reply #13 on: 30 May 2014, 08:12:31 am
Try this one Cran Cran, it's an article about the current state of the George Hotel with quite a good photo gallery.   Reminds me of the times I've helped my old mate move into all those pubs of his, we were always finding basements full of junk  :D

Some good photo's though, it must have been a grand old place in it's heyday.

http:/www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/george-hotel-scaffolding-up-huddersfield-6507775

Offline AllezHaven

• First Team Backup
Reply #14 on: 30 May 2014, 08:19:59 am
My daughter got married there three years ago and the meal was delayed cos there was water pouring through the ceiling in the dining room. The place was a disgrace then. Previously I had been there for various conferences, meetings etc and you see the decay setting in.

Nobody seems to want to stay in town anymore as they don't arrive by train. They stay in motor inns near the motorway exits. Ces la vie.
Allez haven