HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Tour of Britain

Guest · 10 · 667

beermatt42

on: 08 Sep 2014, 07:14:34 am
Well I'm going up to the Runcorn Bridge later, (no, I am not about to top myself  :D ) but the tour of Britain comes to town later. About half ten. They will no doubt be racing across (anything to get away from Widnes  ;) ) and they will even be racing around the Shopping city so watch out for that! :D
It will be a honour to witness Bradley Wiggins and Marcel Kittel at work and later on they pass through Chester before ending todays stage at one of my favourite places (besides Whitehaven) the Great Orme in Llandudno, so maybe even Pinnochio and Graeme Stewart will also be in attendance today. Love the cycling, it's going to be awesome.
Just don't know whether I can get onto the Bridge or not, or whether I am better going down the Asda instead.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2014, 07:17:21 am by BeerMatt44 »

Offline kiss the snake

• Fans Favourite
Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2014, 07:17:09 am
Did you go to the match yesterday marra ?

beermatt42

Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2014, 07:19:19 am
Unfortunately not Snakey, but it sounded a good one and well done in staying up, it is well deserved after this rollercoaster season, I bet that pub was rocking wasn't it?

Offline kiss the snake

• Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2014, 08:05:48 am
Certainly was I didn't want to leave

beermatt42

Reply #4 on: 08 Sep 2014, 08:30:24 am
Your head must be banging this morning   :tip:

beermatt42

Reply #5 on: 08 Sep 2014, 08:34:02 am
I'm not going to bother with the Bridge, there was a bit of trouble getting up there last time the Olympic torch came through town so I'm going down the Asda instead.

Watch out for some idiot in a Warrington shirt round about 10.45-11.00AM, it's the best I can do seeing as I don't have a superman costume, and it's too cold to be running around naked  :D

I know Graeme Stewart is also turning out today, he said he will be up on the Great Orme at the end of today's race, hopefully he could put one of his old Whitehaven tops on just for the occasion like.

It would prove that these Marra's do indeed get everywhere!  :nod:
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2014, 08:54:45 am by BeerMatt44 »

Offline fazza

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:10:11 am
Have a great day mate .

Stage 2 of the 2013 Tour came through Whitehaven and surrounding areas , the rain came down like stair-rods  ,so despite getting absolutley soaked , really enjoyed it .

A marvelous event , wish I lived a bit nearer todays action i would deffo be there .

Enjoy

beermatt42

Reply #7 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:43:39 am
I've just spoken to Cheshire police, they say there shouldn't be a problem getting up on the Bridge today because they are handling it with a series of rolling road blocks.  So I might change my mind, it would be better than Asda, I mean the Runcorn Bridge is our one big landmark really (besides Halton Castle) so it would be better going up there.

If anyone is watching between 10.30- 11.00AM I will give you a wave!  Not many people in Wire shirts in Runcorn so I should stand out.  Graeme should have the best of it though, it's really lovely up the Great Orme, nowhere else like it and it should be full of spectators today, just hope he has the sense to put his Whitehaven shirt on!

Don't worry we will enjoy ourselves. And don't you Marra's go drinking too much today yourselves, some of you might need Hair of the dog after yesterday!

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #8 on: 08 Sep 2014, 10:02:47 am
Certainly was I didn't want to leave
Was good snakey wasn't it
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2014, 12:56:42 pm
Well it was just a fleeting glimpse because just like any right minded person, they came flying out of Widnes like a bat out of hell.  :D
I was right at our end of the RUNCORN bridge and it was a real privilege, I'm sure I scared the wits out of Bradley Wiggins cheering as loud as I did and wearing me Warrington top  :D

To misquote the rolling stones ''I've no expectations to ever see them  pass through here again'', so it was a once in a lifetime event (ooh, bloody hell, never again  :D)

It was all over very quickly and they must be in mid Wales by now but there must have more police motorcycles speeding through than actual cyclists themselves, nevertheless an unique event and I am really glad I made the effort.

Good luck to one and all, and well done to my Whitehaven friends in yesterdays momentous win!

« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2014, 01:07:56 pm by BeerMatt44 »