HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

14 players

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:17:20 pm
So far we have 5 officially signed for next season.I have no doubt maca,Calvert ,crellin,Seymour  will sign giving us 9 and we may get Mitchell and thorman so that would make 11
We need 23 minimum if we have DR,25 if we don't have DR
So where are the other 14 players we need going to come from?
We can't flood the team with local amaruers, they will have the skills no doubt but lack experience at this level to all be blooded at the same time. if we can bring in 3/4 who make the step up in one season we will have done well.
That leaves us 10 players short and that's 10 quality players short, not just squad players{look at the standard of players we have lost to other teams)
Suggestions where these will come from ? For me unless we sign 3 more overseas players then the bulk of the 10 would have to be travellers to get the quality we need and if so then we have learnt nothing from last season.

« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2014, 01:27:50 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline havenselite

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:35:10 pm
Am sure mr deakin will be onto this marra
Up The Haven

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:44:13 pm
I've heard Crellin has signed also.
Winners MAKE it happen, losers LET it happen!

Offline Bransty Lad

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:51:48 pm
If rumours are true. 4 from Kells.  3 from the Brow and 3 from the Mont. That would be your 10. Purely rumours and hear say. No real facts.0

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:57:47 pm
If rumours are true. 4 from Kells.  3 from the Brow and 3 from the Mont. That would be your 10. Purely rumours and hear say. No real facts.0

Gives us 10, but not the experience, of them 10 you would maybe expect 3, maybe 4 at a push to make it.

Another big season next year, we will never be as lucky again.

Heard they have asked Fox and Cullnean back, not what we need.

HW

Offline Havener

• Global Moderator
  • Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:59:48 pm

Gives us 10, but not the experience, of them 10 you would maybe expect 3, maybe 4 at a push to make it.

HW

Good for squad members. We need a bigger squad than last year.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2014, 06:09:29 pm

HW

Good for squad members. We need a bigger squad than last year.

They didn't want to be Squad Members lasy year, they walked away.

HW

• Haven Legend
Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2014, 06:30:27 pm
so amateurs to form the basis of the squad ,you can blood 2 or 3 a season 10 :o
and we don't need 10 squad players,we need top quality players to replace those gone
sorry but if the bulk of remaining recruitment is 10 amateurs plus those mentioned ,then when you look at other teams squads we are in trouble
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2014, 06:36:51 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Johnpauljones

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2014, 06:45:31 pm
I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed 10 quality locals ams.  I accept it would make staying up a challenge but even if we were relegated it would give a base to develop from.

At the moment we don't have that base hence a new team each season. 

In reality I expect we will sign 4 or 5 amatures at most.  I suspect we will get some Eu passport holders from France and maybe a couple of overseas players and a couple of Lancs / Yorks.

I am more interested in what the training regime is like because that will go a long way to determine our competitivness next year. 

• Haven Legend
Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2014, 06:52:56 pm
I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed 10 quality locals ams.  I accept it would make staying up a challenge but even if we were relegated it would give a base to develop from.

At the moment we don't have that base hence a new team each season. 

In reality I expect we will sign 4 or 5 amatures at most.  I suspect we will get some Eu passport holders from France and maybe a couple of overseas players and a couple of Lancs / Yorks.

I am more interested in what the training regime is like because that will go a long way to determine our competitivness next year.
I would hope your right with that make up,that's how to do it with most living local and correct again training will be key
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2014, 06:53:50 pm
Boy o boy we do seem to have lost a load of quality players since the season end, and it worries me because such quality isn't just hanging around waiting for an out of the way club to pop in and sign them up as replacements.

I daren't even think it through, it's simply too scary.

Offline gmc66

• First Team Regular
Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2014, 06:55:59 pm
Ive give up on this amateur debate, if we want to compete then we have our fair share of locals we should be happy with already and im with you BKM its experience we need to keep us in the mix next season...this league is way above amateur level and it would only be weeks into season we would be debating how we are way off the mark with a team of more than 7 or 8 locals
Macca, Calvert, Crellin, Milburn, Burns, Farrer and Quinn poss newton classed as local is a good enough foundation without trying to bring in another half dozen from the amateur ranks without a competitive reserve structure.
 lets get some quality players in and be happy with our locals we already have who would benefit from more experience in the squad
I dont want to see us drop down out of the championship after 1 season ....if we were relegated this season i would be happy to rebuild our team from locals but i dont believe we can survive nxt season with what people want in the way of recruiting more amateurs  ::)

• Haven Legend
Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:10:25 pm
That is why mossop and Dawson would have fitted the bill perfectly, quality, experienced,local.We can't force them sign but find it hard to see why we could not make offers they would find very difficult to refuse
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:30:17 pm
It is a vicious circle.

All of you not wanting many more local players being added at present, when do you suggest would be the right time to add more locals? These lads are NEVER going to get the experience unless they are signed. Every signing is a gamble whether they be local, out of county or even out of country, we could sign up 10 "foreigners" and still get relegated.

For me if the club released a statement saying that 10 locals were to be signed along with some "foreigners" to help bring them along then i would back that decision and would hope so would most fans. We need to change the reliance on traveling players, it has seen our demise and when Town were doing the same thing they were the worst team in semi-pro RL!

However who is saying that there are 10 quality local players actually willing to sign for us, we have hardly covered ourselves in glory of late in signing and playing locals. Every end-of-season there is talk of us signing the best local talent but rarely do we actually sign the names mentioned!

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:32:59 pm
It is a vicious circle.

All of you not wanting many more local players being added at present, when do you suggest would be the right time to add more locals? These lads are NEVER going to get the experience unless they are signed. Every signing is a gamble whether they be local, out of county or even out of country, we could sign up 10 "foreigners" and still get relegated.

For me if the club released a statement saying that 10 locals were to be signed along with some "foreigners" to help bring them along then i would back that decision and would hope so would most fans. We need to change the reliance on traveling players, it has seen our demise and when Town were doing the same thing they were the worst team in semi-pro RL!

However who is saying that there are 10 quality local players actually willing to sign for us, we have hardly covered ourselves in glory of late in signing and playing locals. Every end-of-season there is talk of us signing the best local talent but rarely do we actually sign the names mentioned!
Your first post in a while jammy welcome back marra
born and bred haven.