HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Bonus Points

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #15 on: 09 Oct 2014, 07:43:16 pm
This is the best one yet from dinky donkey
"Bet them lot down the road voted against them, but I think they'll be the ones regretting that this time next year when there setting there sat navs for hemel"
seem to remember them saying similar about hemel this season,remind me again who won 13 game a and who won 12 .Think we all know who bonus points flattered
it's bad news for both Cumbrian clubs BKM. Before you are quick to applaud this change just remember the massive gulf in budgets between some clubs. Teams on the lowest budgets can now look forward to pure damage limitation games with not a chance of anything.
far from it it mean teams can no longer be rewarded for playing understrength top  teams at the right time in the season and scrapping a point ,win or nothing that's what counts ,points difference rewards teams staying in games
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #16 on: 09 Oct 2014, 07:46:39 pm
BKM, for the past 4 seasons when we have both been in the same division Haven (49) have won the huge difference of 2 games more than Town (47) and lost 2 games less (39 - 41) than Town.   In all those games Haven picked up 13 bonus points whilst Town picked up 26.    Which team played the system as laid down under the rules and which gave up when they got behind?      Next season we will still be looking for wins just the same as Haven but it will be interesting to see how many clubs 12 points down give up bothering in the last quarter!!

I wasn't in favour of the bonus point when it first came about but once we had it then it was up to each club to use it to their advantage and as you can only get them from losses then instead of comparing them against wins they should be compared with a teams losses, i.e. Haven got 13 out of a possible 39 and Town got 26 out of a possible 41.   Now that they have gone I can live with that without getting hung up about them.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #17 on: 09 Oct 2014, 07:54:31 pm
Happy days
born and bred haven.

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #18 on: 09 Oct 2014, 08:03:20 pm
So basically Keith with them stats there's little between the 2 clubs  yet some town fans yourself not included think town have been world beaters over the last 4 years and are light years ahead of us them stats prove otherwise

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #19 on: 09 Oct 2014, 08:04:09 pm
Keith,this season you got a BP in a dead rubber game against Leigh who had nothing to play for,you got one against fax after they had a rough game  v Leigh on the Wednesday, all luck of the draw when it came to fixtures and cup draws.Luck should not come into the type of team you face so good riddance I say
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline recregoer

• Academy Star
Reply #20 on: 09 Oct 2014, 08:13:27 pm
BKM, for the past 4 seasons when we have both been in the same division Haven (49) have won the huge difference of 2 games more than Town (47) and lost 2 games less (39 - 41) than Town.   In all those games Haven picked up 13 bonus points whilst Town picked up 26.    Which team played the system as laid down under the rules and which gave up when they got behind?      Next season we will still be looking for wins just the same as Haven but it will be interesting to see how many clubs 12 points down give up bothering in the last quarter!!

I wasn't in favour of the bonus point when it first came about but once we had it then it was up to each club to use it to their advantage and as you can only get them from losses then instead of comparing them against wins they should be compared with a teams losses, i.e. Haven got 13 out of a possible 39 and Town got 26 out of a possible 41.   Now that they have gone I can live with that without getting hung up about them.

12 points down in the final quarter then teams should be trying to win, not protect a point.

I've always been against the idea of rewarding teams for losing, it's just not sport. But I really disliked this as a lot of it was down to the team you played against. 12 points was too big a gap and a lot of it was down to whether the team you lost too played for the full 80 or not but do we really want to see teams protecting a bonus point in the last quarter rather than taking a few risks and trying to win the game?

Offline Johnpauljones

• First Team Regular
Reply #21 on: 09 Oct 2014, 08:20:14 pm
That's Towns stuffed. The negative tactics will have to go as well.

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #22 on: 09 Oct 2014, 08:43:07 pm
i disagree as with the signings coming in and the original squad retained things are looking good. Compare havens budget to others in the league for next season and geographical position  too before you condemn the BP system. If your defence is as bad as last season you will go down.

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #23 on: 09 Oct 2014, 08:46:27 pm
i disagree as with the signings coming in and the original squad retained things are looking good. Compare havens budget to others in the league for next season and geographical position  too before you condemn the BP system. If your defence is as bad as last season you will go down.
better hope you lots attack picks up or you lot are down watching the england match now san marino remind me of town a toothless attack and defending for their lives

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #24 on: 09 Oct 2014, 08:57:47 pm
better hope you lots attack picks up or you lot are down watching the england match now san marino remind me of town a toothless attack and defending for their lives
agreed space cake and that is being addressed as I am lead to believe. You should see the fruits of our labour soon in that area.

Offline Johnpauljones

• First Team Regular
Reply #25 on: 09 Oct 2014, 09:00:52 pm
 :shake. Town fan ...without the bonus point Town would have gone down.  Town  played slow negative tactics to keep the ball out of play and create a slow game.

Vivers won't be able to do that this next season.  A lot of Town players said he was bereft of attacking ideas he's going to have to find someone to coach attack.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #26 on: 09 Oct 2014, 09:04:02 pm
I think it's a bad rule full stop and if it's out then some clubs may well have to adjust to that. However if there is anywhere it should be brought in it's SL when you get top clubs producing scores like 48 - 41 it's facical no tackling or poor tackling, forward passes galore, scrums that must make every RU fan laugh out loud and every true rugby league fan wince [true maybe not the correct word] hopefully we are getting back to a core set of rules. Though if it's three points for a game the away team should get two if it's a draw. Can we not encourage the art of the field goal by putting it back to two points?

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #27 on: 09 Oct 2014, 09:07:52 pm
:shake. Town fan ...without the bonus point Town would have gone down.  Town  played slow negative tactics to keep the ball out of play and create a slow game.

Vivers won't be able to do that this next season.  A lot of Town players said he was bereft of attacking ideas he's going to have to find someone to coach attack.
PV could only work with what he had.  BP'S were there to play for and we got them against strong teams. I certainly didn't see this slow game you mention.

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #28 on: 09 Oct 2014, 09:12:35 pm
I think DR will be the next to be scrapped say hull stay with donny they could end up playing each other when the league splits into 8,s what would happen then

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #29 on: 09 Oct 2014, 09:12:41 pm
BP was never going to be allowed when it involved SL clubs, if they were all for it, it would have been brought into SL long ago.

From a personal point of view it was there to be won. Not Towns fault our defense at times has been criminal

Someone talking sense at last.
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details