HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Bonus Points

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #30 on: 09 Oct 2014, 10:16:02 pm
jam4 me, we are fully aware of the budget differences on here, its been dicussed at length and while you lot initial thought super 8's was a good idea , we could see it as the RFL just controlling promtion through budgets .That one took a while for the penny to drop with your forum and the geograpic problms has always been there,
 Why you are trying to link thes 2 to the bonus point debate  when they have nothing to do with it.Competitive professional sport is about winning not about clinging on in the hope you may get a point and that point may keep you up.Teams are already rewarded for close games with points difference , something you lot seem to over look when entering the bonus point debate.This season points difference between both teams just 17,so despite you thinking all youur bonus points made you a more competitive team ill take 13 wins over 12 thanks
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #31 on: 09 Oct 2014, 10:20:11 pm
i know theres no excuse for lying down and letting teams steamroller over you but i wonder if town where getting more coin for getting a bonus point normally you get winning pay or losing pay wonder if some teams where getting bonus point pay aswell

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #32 on: 09 Oct 2014, 10:27:33 pm
i know theres no excuse for lying down and letting teams steamroller over you but i wonder if town where getting more coin for getting a bonus point normally you get winning pay or losing pay wonder if some teams where getting bonus point pay aswell

As a club would make sense to offer that
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #33 on: 09 Oct 2014, 11:07:25 pm
BKM, you keep mentioning that you won 13 games to Town's 12 but Town also drew with Halifax and in that game they twice declined to take a pretty certain two points from penalties in front of the sticks before half-time and ran the ball.   That backfired in the end so, yes you won 1 more game than Town but only because Town were playing positively in their drawn game, which you seem to support in other posts.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #34 on: 09 Oct 2014, 11:33:59 pm
jam4 me, we are fully aware of the budget differences on here, its been dicussed at length and while you lot initial thought super 8's was a good idea , we could see it as the RFL just controlling promtion through budgets .That one took a while for the penny to drop with your forum and the geograpic problms has always been there,
 Why you are trying to link thes 2 to the bonus point debate  when they have nothing to do with it.Competitive professional sport is about winning not about clinging on in the hope you may get a point and that point may keep you up.Teams are already rewarded for close games with points difference , something you lot seem to over look when entering the bonus point debate.This season points difference between both teams just 17,so despite you thinking all youur bonus points made you a more competitive team ill take 13 wins over 12 thanks
you are letting your dislike for town cloud your judgement alan.

• Haven Legend
Reply #35 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:02:32 am
you are letting your dislike for town cloud your judgement alan.
again trying to introduces things that have nothing to do with the BP discussion
My views on the BP have been the same since day 1  regardless of who gets them and who doesn't
Keith as for "weak knee excuses against the rule for their own clubs ineptitude" Again nothing to do with who gets them.
Speak to any sensible fan and they will tell you a team finishing higher up the league having won less games is wrong in any sport,and the old argument that league positions would not have changed under the old points system again a no longer the case.As you all were keen to say over seasons past "them's the rules" so get on with it
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #36 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:15:24 am
Seems to me there is not many rugby fans other than town supporters bemoaning the loss of the BP system,but then again they are always right,aren't they?

Offline elbra

• Academy Signing
Reply #37 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:25:49 am
yes

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #38 on: 10 Oct 2014, 10:56:00 am
BKM, you keep mentioning that you won 13 games to Town's 12 but Town also drew with Halifax and in that game they twice declined to take a pretty certain two points from penalties in front of the sticks before half-time and ran the ball.   That backfired in the end so, yes you won 1 more game than Town but only because Town were playing positively in their drawn game, which you seem to support in other posts.

So what are you driving at Keith, you suggesting that if Town kicked a penatly they'd have won that game. You can't say that with any certainty at all.

I can also offer a different scenario and suggest that Town not going for goal indicated that they were in fact trying to win the game ( :o) and as such sent a message to the opposition. In the end they were rewarded for showing attacking endeavour and received more than the bonus point they'd been aiming for before the game started by coming out with a draw.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #39 on: 10 Oct 2014, 11:14:41 am
The point I was making (forgive the pun) was that IF Town had kicked one of those penalties they might have gone on to win that game and instead of it being 13 wins against 12wins and a draw it could quite easily have been 13 wins apiece.   On such small things such as this and other on-field decisions are league placings ultimately decided.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

• Haven Legend
Reply #40 on: 10 Oct 2014, 11:35:57 am
The point I was making (forgive the pun) was that IF Town had kicked one of those penalties they might have gone on to win that game and instead of it being 13 wins against 12wins and a draw it could quite easily have been 13 wins apiece.   On such small things such as this and other on-field decisions are league placings ultimately decided.
and if we had kicked the conversion at NWC it would have been 14, or we donny hand not be awarded a very dubious try  away from home it could have been 15.None of these things have anything to with the the discussion on the BP system.13 wins v 12 does because as you know we won one more game than you yet finished lower in the league due to the BP system, which shows up that this system meant  it was no longer about winning games, but about gaining points however they come.
Not many fans sads to see it go
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #41 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:05:44 pm
Ok Keith, I see what you were trying to say, if Town had won more games than Haven then our argument wouldnt hold any water as then Town would have won more games. Thanks for clearing that up. Wasn't that how it used to be though?
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2014, 12:35:06 pm by recre »

Offline elbra

• Academy Signing
Reply #42 on: 10 Oct 2014, 01:55:42 pm
s'easy

Offline troutmaster

• Academy Star
Reply #43 on: 10 Oct 2014, 04:42:38 pm
:shake. Town fan ...without the bonus point Town would have gone down.  Town  played slow negative tactics to keep the ball out of play and create a slow game.

Vivers won't be able to do that this next season.  A lot of Town players said he was bereft of attacking ideas he's going to have to find someone to coach attack.
JPJ,How can you say town were bereft of attacking ideas when we won 7 games on the trot,name me one town player who told you that and I can tell you he is a liar.Naturally you will say we were lying on the tackle when we beat haven at DP,Or we beat you because the referee was veivers mate and disallowed a try by calvert.Sorry JPJ,just sour grapes.I was not for the bonus point system at first but,how can you deny a team that is trying to win a game a bonus point because I am sure haven would have accepted them if you had tried to win a game instead of giving up like  haven did in most games,now that they have done away with the BP we will see how both clubs do in the future games and if town had the personnel that haven had on the field last season we would have been up in the top four without any doubt.PS.If you can give the names of the players who told you that JPJ I will have a word with them when the training starts in November 18th.Thankyou.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #44 on: 10 Oct 2014, 05:12:02 pm