HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Scott McAvoy

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2015, 06:08:44 pm
The club seems full of positivity at the moment - how crucial do we see a win at Barrow, for me no such thing as a friendly with Barrow or Town!

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2015, 07:37:42 pm
I suspect what Scott is getting at is that they are a new team, under a new coach with new ideas and new tactics............and that playing the way the coach wants them to, and they obviously want to also, is more important than winning this one at Barrow.

Put another way, the team could perhaps go out and beat Barrow, but by not follow the processes and game plan set down by the coach.....but what good would that be going forward as a team.....it would simply show the coach that he was wasting his time with them, ..............or at best that he still had  a whole heap of mind re-setting to do with the players.

That's my read anyway.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2015, 09:24:42 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline Johnpauljones

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 07 Jan 2015, 10:18:42 pm
I appreciate we are playing "new systems" but we should be capable of beating Barrow and Gateshead.

It wouldn't be great to lose the pre season games.  I think we have been sensible in setting games we should be competitive in rather than SL teams. Confidence is a big factor for fans and players.

Two wins from the three games is a must in my view.

Offline havenrugbyfan88

• First Team Regular
  • lets create more memories
Reply #4 on: 07 Jan 2015, 10:20:24 pm
I expect 3/3 we are better than all those we play

Offline Biffer

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2015, 10:41:11 pm
I expect 3/3 we are better than all those we play
Even Town??

Offline havenrugbyfan88

• First Team Regular
  • lets create more memories
Reply #6 on: 07 Jan 2015, 11:19:36 pm
Yep

Offline Johnpauljones

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 07 Jan 2015, 11:39:24 pm
We won't beat town with our current squad.  I would be  chuffed if we did but I don't see it.  We are to light weight in the forwards and the backs lack experience other  than Calvert when fit and JJP none have played at anywhere near this level.

My big concern is as a team we will be bullied next season.  We need some bad ass players who the opposition will worry about.

Offline Mirehouselegend

• Fans Favourite
Reply #8 on: 08 Jan 2015, 06:11:42 am
I'm pretty sure we'll be big enough and strong enough to handle the Town forwards. Will they match us for speed in the forwards as i don't think so. 3 out of 3 in the friendly game's i predict we'll win.

Offline Pinnochio

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 08 Jan 2015, 07:50:30 am
We won't beat town with our current squad.  I would be  chuffed if we did but I don't see it.  We are to light weight in the forwards and the backs lack experience other  than Calvert when fit and JJP none have played at anywhere near this level.

My big concern is as a team we will be bullied next season.  We need some bad ass players who the opposition will worry about.
Seymour :nod:

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #10 on: 08 Jan 2015, 11:03:53 am
Doesn't matter if we had Wally Lewis in his prime, if he's playing behind a beaten pack we've no chance. The good team of 10 years ago was basically a good pack of forwards who steamrollered the other teams and then let the backs take over.

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 08 Jan 2015, 11:08:54 am
Think we will just have enough for barrow but with gateshead having them 4 pngs and town looking strong think we may struggle but hope am totally wrong.

Offline Pinnochio

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 08 Jan 2015, 01:30:02 pm
Doesn't matter if we had Wally Lewis in his prime, if he's playing behind a beaten pack we've no chance. The good team of 10 years ago was basically a good pack of forwards who steamrollered the other teams and then let the backs take over.

agreed , but you didnt say that , you said  backs lack experience other  than Calvert when fit and JJP none have played at anywhere near this level which was not true  ;)

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #13 on: 08 Jan 2015, 01:53:57 pm

agreed , but you didnt say that , you said  backs lack experience other  than Calvert when fit and JJP none have played at anywhere near this level which was not true  ;)

I said that?  :shake: :shake: It appears you're getting me mixed up with someone else.

Offline Pinnochio

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2015, 08:56:19 am
woops , indeed i was :-[