HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Cumbria RLFC

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
on: 18 May 2007, 10:27:50 pm
Visit www.cumbriarlfc.com and register your vote!

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
Reply #1 on: 18 May 2007, 10:54:05 pm
  I went with 'Yes but as a separate team with Whitehaven, Workington and Barrow all still existing'.

It wouldn't be my preference however. We need ground improvements and quick!
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #2 on: 18 May 2007, 10:58:17 pm
would ruin haven simply because if there was a team called cumbria in sl and haven still carried on haven would be a feeder team and all the best players we have would play for cumbria so no i voted it wouldnt work simple i love whitehaven rlfc never will change this club is in my blood always will be and never stop suporting them no matter what every other haven fans should think the same

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 18 May 2007, 11:11:13 pm
I'm sure this will cause some good healthy debate on here, that was one of the reasons I created it ;)

I'm not trying to promote a Cumbria team, I'm just interested to hear what everyones views are from all three clubs :)

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 18 May 2007, 11:25:55 pm
My personal preference would be for a seperate club / team but because I don't think it would work if you included Barrow in with Town and Haven, so I could have voted for either of those options.   

There are so many plus and minus points for each choice that it would be difficult to form any conclusion from the results of such a poll.    When we talk about the clubs becoming feeder clubs, is that not what we are now?   If neither of our clubs are in SL where does a young ambitious player have to go to get to play in SL?     

Even if both our clubs managed to get a brand new stadium for the start of the 2009 season, could one or the other survive longer than one season on its own??    Again, my personal opinion is that they couldn't and it could see the demise of one of our clubs in their offort to try and stay in SL because our area is not so densely populated or has the big multi national companies to sponsor such a venture.

Together we may have a chance BUT that in itself opens up other cans of worms, so I cannot see anything other than the status quo being maintained with our two clubs competing against each other to be to be Top Dogs of ......................... West Cumbria!!!
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 19 May 2007, 10:40:06 am
The daft thing about the whole subject is - I truly believe the RFL want a 'team' from West Cumbria in Super League, whether it be one of the existing teams or a new Cumbria team.  I think you're right to bring the debate out John.  If a 'team' can put forward a decent franchise bid, I think our geographical location would be preferred over yet another team from the M62 corridor.

Its about time the local politicians realised what a sucessful team in SL could bring to this area.  I would use 'Cumbria' as a marketing tool, play the games on Saturdays and get as many travelling fans as possible to come for the weekend.

We just need someone with drive, energy (and a shed load of cash!) who is able to look at the bigger picture, see the potential and bring it into reality for the benefit of the whole of West Cumbria.
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Monte2carlo

Reply #6 on: 19 May 2007, 02:30:54 pm
Shed loads of cash, John Wright had shed loads of cash, Vaghaun Widnes had shedloads aswell. Its a good business plan with achievable goals that will get us into SL. We need the support of our local council MP & MEP to help us get into SL

Monte

Offline KellsEnder

• Academy Signing
Reply #7 on: 19 May 2007, 02:41:41 pm
It could work, but they'd have to be careful about where they base the hypothetical 'Cumbria RLFC'. Putting them too close to Whitehaven/Workington could limit support from Barrow fans and vice versa. I know I, for one, wouldn't fancy driving up and down the Whitehaven-Barrow road every other week!

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 20 May 2007, 09:36:24 am
Well  I  was  one  totally  against  a  merger  6  years  ago  when  it  was  1st  mooted  and  remember  the  meeting  we  had  at  the  civic  hall.
Today  I'm  still  against  a  merger  but  maybe  not  as  much  and  when  this  ridiculous  franchise  system  come  in  (2009)  its  quite  possible  if  any  of  us  want  to  see  SL  in  Cumbria  during  our  lifetime  a  merger  may  be  the  only  option.

Also  could  either  Town  or  Haven  sustain  a  SL  team  on  their  own  and  pull  in  the  support  needed  without  going  into  debt  and  also  without getting  thrashed  week  in  week  out.  For  me  the  only  option  would  be  to  build  at  Lillyhall  were  there's  decent  road  access  and  use  both  clubs  for  an  acadamy  to  bring  yhe  young'uns  through.

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #9 on: 20 May 2007, 10:23:38 am
Well  I  was  one  totally  against  a  merger  6  years  ago  when  it  was  1st  mooted  and  remember  the  meeting  we  had  at  the  civic  hall.
Today  I'm  still  against  a  merger  but  maybe  not  as  much  and  when  this  ridiculous  franchise  system  come  in  (2009)  its  quite  possible  if  any  of  us  want  to  see  SL  in  Cumbria  during  our  lifetime  a  merger  may  be  the  only  option.

Also  could  either  Town  or  Haven  sustain  a  SL  team  on  their  own  and  pull  in  the  support  needed  without  going  into  debt  and  also  without getting  thrashed  week  in  week  out.  For  me  the  only  option  would  be  to  build  at  Lillyhall  were  there's  decent  road  access  and  use  both  clubs  for  an  acadamy  to  bring  yhe  young'uns  through.

you forgot barrow will they be happy travelling 40 - 50 miles every home game

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #10 on: 20 May 2007, 12:06:13 pm
The daft thing about the whole subject is - I truly believe the RFL want a 'team' from West Cumbria in Super League, whether it be one of the existing teams or a new Cumbria team.  I think you're right to bring the debate out John.  If a 'team' can put forward a decent franchise bid, I think our geographical location would be preferred over yet another team from the M62 corridor.

Its about time the local politicians realised what a sucessful team in SL could bring to this area.  I would use 'Cumbria' as a marketing tool, play the games on Saturdays and get as many travelling fans as possible to come for the weekend.

We just need someone with drive, energy (and a shed load of cash!) who is able to look at the bigger picture, see the potential and bring it into reality for the benefit of the whole of West Cumbria.

That in itself can pose problems, jaypeet, as a club cannot adopt a title which implies that it represents, either wholly or in part, a country, a county, a town or any area, without permission from the RFL and unless it was a joint effort, I can imagine both current clubs objecting to it.

I think the first thing that has to be accepted and worked upon is that UNLESS there is a coming together (a new club being preferable without any baggage) then the best either of our two clubs can hope for in the future is what Haven achieved 2 years ago, i.e. top of National League 1.

A few years ago some of the top clubs in SL were talking of it becoming a " big city" league with large connurbations.   Whitehaven and Workington on their own don't fit into that category but together we could possibly just make it with an estimated 170,000 population in Allerdale and Copeland.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2007, 08:08:27 pm by Keith »
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 20 May 2007, 01:24:32 pm

To  be  honest  I  wouldn't  include  Barrow. I  would  base  the  team  in  West  Cumbria  were  a  bulk  of  RL  is  played.

you forgot barrow will they be happy travelling 40 - 50 miles every home game