HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Calvert

Offline Broadbent 1

• Academy Star
  • Gary Broadbent Best Fullback in NL1
Reply #30 on: 06 Oct 2006, 04:59:15 pm
Next year i would play lebbon for a couple of league games & see how he fairs if that doesn't work then all you can say is it's a gamble that didn't pay off
Gary Broadbent Haven Legend

Offline kellsladbornandbred

• Academy Star
Reply #31 on: 06 Oct 2006, 09:23:43 pm
Listen no one was to blame on Sunday not even the ref, we lost after playing probably our best rugby of the season, the fact is its sport and in knock out competitions there is a winner and loser some times its not the best team that wins but thats life our day will come.
Back to wingers speed is gift, so too is physical strtength and a rugby brain, if a winger has all three then they won't be playing in NL1 or NL2 or at least not for long.
Craig undoubtedly has the Speed, his physical Strength can be built up but the Rugby Brain I am afraid you are usually born with and blessed naturally, experience does usually come with time but some people just take longer than others to learn.
Craig maybe relatively young in years but to be honest he has been at Haven now three seasons playing with the likes of Seedsy, Wes, Nanyn, and Rob Jackson, Joey etc and coaches like Steve Mac and now DR, he was also at the brow for years with some great players and coaches so I am afraid if he hasn't developed a rugby brain or experience by now then I think he is stuck with his speed for now and hopefully will build up his strength, so 2 out of 3 aint bad 

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #32 on: 07 Oct 2006, 01:20:12 pm
what dave needs to do is work with him in the offseason get him doing weights and get someone to kick high balls in the corner with someone acting as if there the oposition that will improve him defo this should have been done a long time ago nows the time

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 07 Oct 2006, 06:26:45 pm
Personally  I  think  he's  a  quality  player.  He  hasn't  scored  20  tries  for  nothing  and  is  probably  the  fastest  player  in  SL..

Against  Widnes  he  made  a  miss  tackle  on  Blanch  who's  no  slow  coach  but  yet  despite  giving  him  a  good  5  yards  Calvert  caught  him  up.  Many  wingers  wouldn't  have  been  able  to  do  that.

havenchamps2005

Reply #34 on: 07 Oct 2006, 07:09:56 pm
but the thing is upon catching blanch again blanch simply swatted craig off and they scored off 2 missed tackles on the same bloke by one man

Offline African exile

• First Team Backup
Reply #35 on: 08 Oct 2006, 12:02:17 am
I think people should lay off craig a bit he is only a young lad we all make mistakes and slagging him off like this is only gonna bring down his confidence not help him improve
If it's a girl they're naming her Sigourney after an actress, if it's a boy the 're naming him Rodney after Dave

Offline Blackie

• Academy Star
Reply #36 on: 08 Oct 2006, 04:31:01 pm
Agreed, he need encouragement and with proper tution, he will prosper even further. Negative criticisms wont do him any good.

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #37 on: 08 Oct 2006, 08:19:43 pm
Hes had two years to improve. If he was going to be the superstar everyone predicted he'd have done it by now.

His game is too one dimensional. If theres a player in front of him hes knackered. Teams will target him more than ever next season so he either improves or goes back to Wath Brow. Simple.

Offline mr hopefull

• First Team Backup
  • off we go-- come on haven-- come on haven
Reply #38 on: 08 Oct 2006, 08:32:11 pm
Agreed, he need encouragement and with proper tution, he will prosper even further. Negative criticisms wont do him any good.

agree craig is young ,and could prosper,lets just hope the tuition gets done during closed season , next year we MUST fire on all cylinders from the kick off

Offline Bkenz92

• First Team Regular
  • Haven Til I Die
Reply #39 on: 08 Oct 2006, 08:41:56 pm
Hes had two years to improve. If he was going to be the superstar everyone predicted he'd have done it by now.

His game is too one dimensional. If theres a player in front of him hes knackered. Teams will target him more than ever next season so he either improves or goes back to Wath Brow. Simple.
I agree with you marra most of his tries were a simple run into the corner and put the ball down !!

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #40 on: 09 Oct 2006, 01:03:37 am
for good sake craig made a mistake can you rember mick nanyn missing that kick and no-one said anything like this craig knows he was poor but no-one cant say that he is rubbish his record speaks for itself i called craig after the widnes match but its a team game he has stoped lots of trys by catching people im sure the only reason craig wasnt his usaul good playing self was that idiot ref and silly desicion watched that debateble try again and againn and craig touches it down first

come on stop the witch hunt and look 4ward to super league 2008