HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

july smokeing ban

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
on: 22 May 2007, 09:24:42 pm
what i was wondering is how the smokeing ban will affect the rec? if there is a smokeing ban how will  it be enforced ?look forward to replys

Monte2carlo

Reply #1 on: 22 May 2007, 09:28:51 pm
Well they have no problems on the sponsors suite with no smoking.

So hopefully i can look forward to not having to take a shower when i come home from the rugby. I will miss the sore throats, runny nose and sore eyes though

selfish habit GOOD RIDANCE

Monte

Offline KellsEnder

• Academy Signing
Reply #2 on: 22 May 2007, 09:29:10 pm
The smoking ban covers all enclosed public areas. The Kells End and grandstand would be classed as enclosed, as there are three walls surrounding it, but the polular side and railway end shouldn't be affected.

haven1985

Reply #3 on: 23 May 2007, 09:03:12 am
the grandstand and the kells end are not enclosed. well i dont think they are there is a big space of air right infront of you. i thought enclosed was four walls and a roof

Offline KellsEnder

• Academy Signing
Reply #4 on: 23 May 2007, 10:34:21 am
the grandstand and the kells end are not enclosed. well i dont think they are there is a big space of air right infront of you. i thought enclosed was four walls and a roof
Assuming the smoking ban is going to be the same in England as it is in Scotland, an enclosed space is any public space with three walls and a roof. The Kells End and grandstand should fall under this category, and rightly so.
Unusually the law also bans smoking in bus shelters, phone boxes or other shelters that are more than 50% enclosed.

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #5 on: 23 May 2007, 04:21:00 pm
I think that it has to be 60% or more open to the elements - a pub can have a covered area but 3 sides would have to be open

Don't know how this will apply to a sports ground's stand

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 23 May 2007, 04:48:24 pm
Assuming the smoking ban is going to be the same in England as it is in Scotland, an enclosed space is any public space with three walls and a roof. The Kells End and grandstand should fall under this category, and rightly so.
Unusually the law also bans smoking in bus shelters, phone boxes or other shelters that are more than 50% enclosed.

Using that as guidance then the Kells end may be non smoking, but the grandstand wouldn't be, the Grandstand has no sides or front, only a back.
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 23 May 2007, 06:02:39 pm
The rules regarding Sports Grounds are entirely different i believe, i also think out local Councils "recommendation" is a TOTAL BAN in all Sports Grounds.

I am not saying the club have to follow their lead, but it will be interesting to see what they do.

Those who remember going to Warrington , will remember they had a TOTAL BAN inside they ground!!

TW

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 23 May 2007, 06:08:51 pm
The Warrington decision was the club's own choice

Offline KellsEnder

• Academy Signing
Reply #9 on: 23 May 2007, 07:53:13 pm
The rules regarding Sports Grounds are entirely different i believe, i also think out local Councils "recommendation" is a TOTAL BAN in all Sports Grounds.
If that's the case hopefully 'Haven will follow the council's recommendation, personally I'd find the matches infinitely more pleasant if there wasn't always someone smoking all over me.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 24 May 2007, 11:20:53 am
aint the widnes ground total ban im sure you had to go outside the grounds.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #11 on: 24 May 2007, 01:05:40 pm
I think you would find that the Kells end would be a smoke free area.   

Smoking can only be allowed in an enclosed area that has 70% of it's area open to the elements.   That is adding the four sides of the enclosure and the roof area and if 70% of it is open to the elements then smoking can be allowed.   But I would think that with just the front open it falls a bit short of the 70% mark.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #12 on: 24 May 2007, 01:51:55 pm
From the Copeland BC site

"Q13: Does this legislation cover sports stadiums? I don't want to sit (in a covered stand) next to a smoker when I have paid ?800 for a season ticket!
A: The Bill allows regulations to be made that designate additional smoke-free places which are not covered by Clause 2 where people are at risk of being exposed to significant quantities of secondhand smoke. This might include sports stadia or other non-enclosed places, but it is a decision for the future, and only after the Government consults the public."

I think that if the Club decided to ban smoking from the ground totally they could, on the face of it I would think that it will be coming in law soon anyway, so it may be a good idea to "jump before we are pushed".

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #13 on: 24 May 2007, 02:23:20 pm

I am not saying the club have to follow their lead, but it will be interesting to see what they do.

Those who remember going to Warrington , will remember they had a TOTAL BAN inside they ground!!

TW

TW or other administrators, could you please arrange a 'poll' via the site asking for peoples views on a total ban as per the Halliwell Jones stadium.
The club house will be a far more attractive place to be without being 'choked' and I personally would like to see a total ban.
The results could be fed back to the club to help in any extra decision making processes they may or may not be consdiering.

Thanks
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #14 on: 24 May 2007, 06:32:46 pm
Thanks

Neil
[/quote]

TW or other administrators, could you please arrange a 'poll' via the site asking for peoples views on a total ban as per the Halliwell Jones stadium.
The club house will be a far more attractive place to be without being 'choked' and I personally would like to see a total ban.
The results could be fed back to the club to help in any extra decision making processes they may or may not be consdiering.

Thanks
[/quote]
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA