HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Dews v Haven

Offline Javtee

• Academy Signing
Reply #60 on: 04 Jun 2007, 01:34:22 pm
I don't think we have a problem in the backs at all.  The problem is in the forwards, and has been all season so far.  We have two front line props (Fats & Bull) who could could slot into any of the NL1 teams.  Other than that we are very week.  Some of our other so called front line props were signed last season in desperation due to injury problems in the squad.  They are nothing more than avaerage players who will do us a job now and then.  They lack the power and punch to keep the momentum going when the props are being interchanged.  This is alright when your playing against NL2 teams and the poorer end of NL1, it no good against the better teams we will be facing shortly.  To prove a point if anyone has a copy of the Rochdale away DVD (2005) match where we won the league they should put it on a have a look at Fats, Tandy, Summers & Jacko playing together that day.  Thats not to mention Brett McDermott who was dropped, who in three matches this season so far has been every bit as good as anything we have.

Another thing I'd like to say is how better the team play when mattinson comes off the bench.  He's fast at getting the ball away from acting half and also makes a lot of metres.  Everything Aaron Smith isn't.  I'm not sure whats going on behind the scenes with Sice but I would play him and Mattinson before Smith every week.  He may well be a decent player but he's not worth the wages and travelling expences it costs the club each week to bring him over from Yorkshire.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #61 on: 04 Jun 2007, 03:21:21 pm
smith should be loose forward with matty starting hooker an sice coming on for the last 20-15 minutes of each half
haven till i die

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #62 on: 04 Jun 2007, 05:26:09 pm
think we missed out on tandy personally!

How can we "miss out" on him - he wanted Super League

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #63 on: 04 Jun 2007, 06:25:03 pm
get a signing in who will make an impact would help

And exactly who is available? McDonald hasn't attracted any attention anywhere yet some SLE clubs are desparate for forwards so is he really the answer?

Offline Blackie

• Academy Star
Reply #64 on: 04 Jun 2007, 06:29:44 pm
What happened to those two rugby union trailists from Scotland?

havenfan in hull

Reply #65 on: 04 Jun 2007, 07:15:09 pm
I don't think we have a problem in the backs at all.  The problem is in the forwards, and has been all season so far.  We have two front line props (Fats & Bull) who could could slot into any of the NL1 teams.  Other than that we are very week.  Some of our other so called front line props were signed last season in desperation due to injury problems in the squad.  They are nothing more than avaerage players who will do us a job now and then.  They lack the power and punch to keep the momentum going when the props are being interchanged.  This is alright when your playing against NL2 teams and the poorer end of NL1, it no good against the better teams we will be facing shortly.  To prove a point if anyone has a copy of the Rochdale away DVD (2005) match where we won the league they should put it on a have a look at Fats, Tandy, Summers & Jacko playing together that day.  Thats not to mention Brett McDermott who was dropped, who in three matches this season so far has been every bit as good as anything we have.

Another thing I'd like to say is how better the team play when mattinson comes off the bench.  He's fast at getting the ball away from acting half and also makes a lot of metres.  Everything Aaron Smith isn't.  I'm not sure whats going on behind the scenes with Sice but I would play him and Mattinson before Smith every week.  He may well be a decent player but he's not worth the wages and travelling expences it costs the club each week to bring him over from Yorkshire.

arron smith is one our best players mate. as good as matty is an as much as everyone loves sice arron is our top hooker without question i feel. he is quick around the ruck defo dont make the runs from dummy half but as the place the ball he is very good

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #66 on: 05 Jun 2007, 12:07:15 am

[/quote

the thing is our players arent getting any younger if u lookat the tape against dewsbury we struggled to break tackles and get out of our 20 metre line to get a good kick and chase which is just not good enough we need young players to replace these ie lester i now how much of a legend hes been for us but time has come for him to go he cant do anything anymore hes just too slow due to his age replacements must be considerd asap

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #67 on: 05 Jun 2007, 06:18:27 am
We struggled after the 1st 15/20 mins - maybe this was due to the quick turnaround between games?

Offline Blackie

• Academy Star
Reply #68 on: 05 Jun 2007, 06:30:02 am
I have noticed that Whitehaven do struggle in the first 20 mins in most games (home and away). Wonder why is that?

havenfan in hull

Reply #69 on: 05 Jun 2007, 12:16:08 pm
We struggled after the 1st 15/20 mins - maybe this was due to the quick turnaround between games?

that is usually wen the props are changed for the 1st time 2. pos that