HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Rhys Pugsleys Joins for 2016

Amanda · 51 · 2128

Offline Amanda

• First Team Backup
on: 17 Feb 2016, 03:05:12 pm
RHYS Pugsley was one of Welsh sport's most promising stars when he tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.At 18 years old, he was already an international rugby league player and on the cusp of making his Super League debut for Wigan Warriors.The powerful forward was highly regarded by all at the DW Stadium when he failed an out-of-competition test in April 2014.Traces of metabolites of methandienone were found in the teenager's system and UK Anti-Doping chiefs bannished him from the sport for two years - two days before he was due to make a first senior start against Leeds Rhinos.Pugsley branded his punishment

"the worst thing that has ever happened to me", but refuses to wollow in self pity."There hasn't been a day gone by when I haven't woken up and regretted doing what I did," he said."I want to right my wrongs and prove to people I am still worth believing in. I was young and I made a stupid mistake."I didn't plan to take drugs. It's not something I did. It was one occasion when I took a couple of tablets. I still don't know why I did it. "I didn't need to take drugs. I was delevoping fine and was due to make my Wigan debut against Leeds Rhinos."Two days before the match my results came back and they were positive. It was the worst thing to ever happen to me."I am relieved my ban is over. During the last two years, I have gone to university and I'm studying for a degree in human sciences, but rugby league has always been my passion.

"Now 21, Pugsley's ban ends in May, and Whitehaven have moved quickly to sign the player they see as Super League standard to a one-year contract.But Pugsley isn't looking that far into the future, and said:

"I cannot wait to get out on the pitch for Whitehaven. I know not everyone will support me, but I will be doing my best to prove myself.

"I am a big, physical lad, and I cannot thank Whitehaven enough for giving me a second chance. I am determined to pay them back."I'm not looking too far into the future, but playing in Super League and for Wales again is my dream."I am determined to thank my friends and family, who have been an incredible support during my darkest times, by being the best rugby league player I can be."Haven's top brass admitted they thought long and hard about the message his signature sends out, and said in a statement: "We understand signing Rhys will split opinion."Whitehaven RLFC in no way supports the use of drugs of any kind - performance-enhancing or recreational.

"The decision to sign Rhys was one we thought long and hard about. It was made with rugby in mind."Rhys has held his hands up and admitted what he did. He has shown remorse and has served his time."We have spoken at length with Rhys and now have the chance to help a young man get his career back on track.Pugsley is banned from all rugby league activity until March when he can start training with his new team-mates from the 15th.He will pen a one-year deal with Whitehaven, and could make his debut at London Broncos on May 22.

(Story by John Fuller Whitehaven News)

Amanda Hewer

GM

Offline Mk1

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2016, 03:31:11 pm
Well done to all concerned. The lad did the crime and now done the time, good to see  Whitehaven giving him a second chance and will hopefully do the biz for us.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2016, 04:05:07 pm
IS that his dad that played for us many moons ago? Stuart Pugsley, was a Scrum Half.

HW

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2016, 04:19:05 pm
Welcome to haven sounds like he's just what we need

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2016, 04:33:57 pm
Could turn out to be a great signing,well done.

Offline AllezHaven

• First Team Backup
Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:09:13 pm
But you won't be watching him unless he plays on a sunday!

Welcome young fella and i hope you settle in, meet a local  lass and stay here like the Kiwis we signed back in the day. Come on lasses your team needs you. Small apology for sexist remarks.
Allez haven

Been supporting Haven since Gus Risman stood on my new mac. My ma gave me hell!

Online Mirehouselegend

• Fans Favourite
Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:22:57 pm
Welcome to Haven marra. Stick in and you'll soon get noticed in this league and you never know back in super dooper league in a couple years.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:23:15 pm
Well done bod though Jam4me says he cant be any good jog on
born and bred haven.

Offline CUMBRIAN BOY

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:55:42 pm
After reading his comments it looks like the lad has made such a massif mistake but thankfully realised it,  it, its been a life changing mistake for him and the next big step for him will be to get back on the pitch, everyone deserves a second chance, Good luck Rys

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2016, 07:06:04 pm
mr Sammut must be no good then eh why would he go to town when there's so many kore options for him

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2016, 07:17:57 pm
IS that his dad that played for us many moons ago? Stuart Pugsley, was a Scrum Half.

HW

Don't think so as Stuart is a Leigh lad and Rhys was born in Wales

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2016, 07:22:44 pm

Good old Jam4Me - the font of all RL knowledge

Offline kiss the snake

• Fans Favourite
Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2016, 08:20:50 pm
Think he could be a very good signing. Well done to the BOD for signing the Lad and giving the Lad a 2 ND chance, let's hope he grabs it with both hands.

Offline lou lou

• Academy Star
Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2016, 09:02:37 pm
Could be a good player heard he was a top prospect. But in my eyes cheats should get lifetime bans from sport end of.

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2016, 09:26:48 pm

Good old Jam4Me - the font of all RL knowledge
Haha,he's on the dark side now trying to backtrack since Hulmes relative informed him how talented he was,comedy gold.