HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

A WIN IS A WIN

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
on: 11 Jun 2007, 02:36:14 pm
A WIN IS A WIN !!!

That was the statement early season, we are "WINNING" stop complaining!

But yesterday it finally happened, we can up against a team, who wanted to win, who wanted to win every tackle, who wanted to stop us crossing the advantage line.

I along with a few others on numerous Haven Sites, have posted about our Poor Performances early season, even though we have been winning.

Well i think yesterdays result proved us right, Super League you are having a laugh. A good National League side, YES.

Apart from a few isolated players yesterday we were hammered all over the park. I dont think we broke 1 tackle in the first half, with only Calverts screamer to keep us happy.

We lacked creativity at the pivots, Duffy looks industriuos, but when does he go thorugh gaps, Rudd had been very quiet since been on the end of that Sendig Off tackle, and Lester ( although a Haven Legend) is going through the motions.

Broadbent, Calvert( for sticking out the full 80, even though he was in distress most of the first half), Benson, Fletcher, Dale and Joe were the only ones to show up, the rest need a rocket up thier arses.

Be interesting to see the team on Fri night.

Will Lebbon get his deserved chance, will C McAvoy got a start and will Sice get his chance again.

Anything more than a 50 point win, i think will be a disappoinment, they shipped 90+ agains Widnes yesterday, and that is were we should be aiming.

Not just A WIN, but a BLOODY GOOD WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested team for Friday

Benson
Calvert
Seeds / Eilbeck if wanted
Broadbent
Lebbon
McAvoy
Duffy
Trindall
Smith
Fats
Fletcher
Miller
Rudd

Dale
Sice
Jacko
Mattinson

TW

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2007, 05:04:26 pm
well said marra
haven till i die

WHITEHAVENHERO

Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2007, 05:33:09 pm
A WIN IS A WIN !!!

That was the statement early season, we are "WINNING" stop complaining!

But yesterday it finally happened, we can up against a team, who wanted to win, who wanted to win every tackle, who wanted to stop us crossing the advantage line.

I along with a few others on numerous Haven Sites, have posted about our Poor Performances early season, even though we have been winning.

Well i think yesterdays result proved us right, Super League you are having a laugh. A good National League side, YES.

Apart from a few isolated players yesterday we were hammered all over the park. I dont think we broke 1 tackle in the first half, with only Calverts screamer to keep us happy.

We lacked creativity at the pivots, Duffy looks industriuos, but when does he go thorugh gaps, Rudd had been very quiet since been on the end of that Sendig Off tackle, and Lester ( although a Haven Legend) is going through the motions.

Broadbent, Calvert( for sticking out the full 80, even though he was in distress most of the first half), Benson, Fletcher, Dale and Joe were the only ones to show up, the rest need a rocket up thier arses.

Be interesting to see the team on Fri night.

Will Lebbon get his deserved chance, will C McAvoy got a start and will Sice get his chance again.

Anything more than a 50 point win, i think will be a disappoinment, they shipped 90+ agains Widnes yesterday, and that is were we should be aiming.

Not just A WIN, but a BLOODY GOOD WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested team for Friday

Benson
Calvert
Seeds / Eilbeck if wanted
Broadbent
Lebbon
McAvoy
Duffy
Trindall
Smith
Fats
Fletcher
Miller
Rudd

Dale
Sice
Jacko
Mattinson

TW

Now thats an excellent post mate, I agree with your every word.  But I will lay odds on we just go through the motions, expecting a win. Like you say lets stuff them and send out some kind of message that it was just a bad day at the office on Sunday. Lets try for a 100 points go one better then Widnes.

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2007, 05:45:45 pm
yes we need to make mincemeat of donny on friday or fax will be coming up here really fancying their chances in the semi. that will be a bloody hard game
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2007, 06:26:50 pm
Well, here goes - my twopenneth....

Yesterday was a very bad loss for us on home turf.  But..... I do believe we can fight back after this - ONLY if 100% is given by each and every player involved.  I think DR has to swallow his pride and admit he is making mistakes in the "game plans" and explore more basic options.  Our kicking game is virtually non-existent.  Lots of things can be gained by having a good kicking game and we are sadly lacking in that area.  We rarely make the yards other teams make by kicking for touch, other teams are ripping us apart with their kicking game and the only thing that saves us most times is our almost stealth-like defence.   However, defence alone is not enough and we need to make more in-roads in our attack and stop using the same old moves and coming back inside.

We have our own Linford Christie in Craig Calvert and we should be using him more to but we seem to forget he is there.  Why oh why is Craig taking the ball up on the first and second tackles?   Where are our forwards?  Get the forwards battering the ball up in the first 2/3 tackles and let the centres and wingers finish the job off. 

Also, as others have said - why are we playing so many players out of position?  We tried that at Blackpool with Carl Sice and were almost embarrassed! 

These are lessons we should be learning and fast!  We are now rapidly approaching the "business end" of the season and lets be honest, although we have been winning, they were hardly wins to set the Recre alight were they?   We have played no-one of "substance" yet and when the likes of Castleford and Widnes visit us, unless we start sticking to the basics and making the most of our players in their correct position and exploiting their talents, we are going to be shown as HavenWarrior said " Good national League 1 Team"  and our Super League aspirations are always going to be a pipe dream.

As for the Doncaster game on Friday, we have to put the fact aside that they are struggling at the moment - we are not devoid of problems ourselves.  (Fingers crossed Doncaster do not go under and all the best in their quest)  we need to be stamping our authority on the game right from the kick off and be unrelentless in attack and defence and NOT take our foot of the gas at any time.  We have the team  that, on paper, are capable of taking us to Super League, but the basics must be followed first, sort out out kicking game, exploit the talents to the full of the players we have, there we have the ingredients - all DR needs to do is sort out the correct recipe and Bob's Your Uncle!   

Our discipline needs to be improved, we are giving away far to many penalties allowing our opposition to exploit the fact.  You just watch how many valuable yards we give away through out and out silliness!  We are better than that and it must be instilled into the lads that these silly penalties, will ultimately, prove VERY costly.

Okay, so thats my views.  Time to pick ourselves up, brush ourselves off, and learn the valuable lessons that the Leigh game taught us. 

Lets hope for a 100% improvement on Friday night.

MrsHW
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2007, 06:57:05 pm by MrsHavenWarrior »
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2007, 06:39:13 pm
Agree with both the "big" posts on here. Has to be said that the one game we have had a different game plan, against Catalan Dragons  (kicking game was a million times better than yesterday) we really looked good & whats more it was entertaining. If that didn't show DR how the team can play and like to play then nothing will !

By the way Mrs Havenwarrior I quite like your posts but please can you do itt in another colour its like a secret message  :)

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2007, 07:22:40 pm
I agree with most of what has been said above, but everybody has to realise that if we want to achieve our dream, then it will take an awful lot of money, not just for ground improvements, but also for players.  The Doncaster episode has shown all too graphically that a sugar daddy isn't the answer......yes, if the current crop of players played to their full potential, then another grand final is a possibility, but if they won that, how many would be retained by the club?  Not the best motivation is it?  Some of those that may be offered a SL contract may also turn it down as it would not be financially viable for them to give up their days jobs.

The only real way to move forward is to get a lot more paying public through the gate on matchdays, buying merchadise etc.!

We are already seeing threads on here with people saying they don't want the team to get to the NRC final in case its another embarassing defeat on TV - there in lies the problem - Haven have a hardcore, through thick and thin support of about 1200.  To bring the dream to reality that would need to be at least doubled if not trebled.  To be successful the club would need to look at going full time, that can't happen because the income just isn't there. 

Unfortunately, the folk of West Cumbria are too fickle to turn up week in, week out to watch their local clubs.
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2007, 07:49:20 pm
we could not break down leighs defence yesterday because they were so well organised but i know 1 player who could have broke through  mr sice. but where was he??? playing in the 21s just because dr seems to have something against him. if hes not careful he will lose him and when smith goes and lester retires we are only going to have matty left. sice should be in the 17 imo. its ok having travellers if they are better than locals but are they?. in yesterdays starting pack there was not 1 cumbrian.
NO PAIN NO GAIN

newton

Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2007, 08:28:41 pm
did sicey not have a bad game yesterday knocking on 3 4 times he snot the whole answer and yes i think smith will be off soon

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2007, 08:57:34 pm
good ;D
NO PAIN NO GAIN