HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Why concentrate on a S/L ground, When we have no S/L team to play in it?

Guest · 27 · 1596

WHITEHAVENHERO

Why concentrate on a S/L ground, When we no S/L team to play in it?

OK folk's Instead of us saying all the time we are going to have a ground fit for S/L season after season. Would we not be better off setting our sites on a S/L team first. Whats the point in having a ground / stadium redevelopment and having a stadium to be proud of and show off if we only have a mediocre team playing in it. Does it not make sense to spend the money on a team build first.
I would love a nice shiny new ground don't get me wrong. But I would rather sit in a crappy ground and watch great rugby being played by great players, Rather then sit in a state of the art ground watching average rugby from middle of the road players? 
So why not concentrate on the team building first. Because come on face it guy's we are not going into S/L in the near future are we. Not this season and probably not next unless we start spending some money.
In my opinion Widnes are going up, No ifs or buts. Even if we had a miracle and did get to the grand final and won it. What then we don't get in eitherway because no way on this earth is the ground going to be made ready in the off season, anyway how many times have we and S/L heard this?  "Honest we will be ready next season" On numerous occasions.
Anyway for the next couple of seasons. Widnes / Castleford / Leigh and who ever comes down this season are going to be the main contenders. Especially Castleford/ Leigh / and who ever comes down. That's 3 ex S/L teams wanting back up big time.
So even then we will be lucky if we finish 4th next season So come on lets spend on new players NOW and consider the ground when we are in a position that Widnes are now sitting at the top looking invincible.

Tommy43

Do we have a bottomless pit of money? Or should the club live within its means?

If the choice is what we've got now or spend, spend,spend & finish up like Doncaster I know which I'd prefer

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Id say get the the grounds up to date quick, seating, better bar for sponsors in stead of work huts it maybe get more fans back as thats what you need to buy good players, its not just the case of a shiny new stand.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
There is no way we are going to spend money until the Whole Ground thing is sorted, maybe by then our Shiny New neighbours ASDA ( WALLMART ) will have moved in. I wonder if anyone as thought to contact them, telling them they have a Sports Team on their doorstep, and would they be up for a bit of Sponsorship.

It could be a blessing in disguise, Washington out current main sponsor have just been bought out, maybe that could be the end of their dealings with the club.I hope not, but you never no.

TW

Offline champ

• First Team Backup
There is no way we are going to spend money until the Whole Ground thing is sorted, maybe by then our Shiny New neighbours ASDA ( WALLMART ) will have moved in. I wonder if anyone as thought to contact them, telling them they have a Sports Team on their doorstep, and would they be up for a bit of Sponsorship.

It could be a blessing in disguise, Washington out current main sponsor have just been bought out, maybe that could be the end of their dealings with the club.I hope not, but you never no.

TW
They were contacted when they first announced that they wanted to come to whitehaven.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Superb, The ASDA stand, only thing is it would need to have Green Seats.

TW

WHITEHAVENHERO

If the choice is what we've got now or spend, spend,spend & finish up like Doncaster I know which I'd prefer

So what you saying, You would rather us stay static with this team. Just sit in the top 6 of the tables for ever more. Because if we do not spend it is going to be like Groundhog Day. Same all tripe day in, day out.  or in our case season in season out.

Offline shavenhaven

• Academy Star

No we don't have a bottomless pit of money BUT we do have a pride of 5 lottery which was set up for ground improvements.

3000 members ?1 a week

?500 a week outgoing to prizes
?500 a week running costs (thats a guess)
Thats ?2000 a week over 52 week = ?104,000 less ?10,000 big draw

Thats approx ?94,000 a year.
How long has the lotterybeen running ? 5 years at a guess

?94,000 x 5 =?470,000.

Can you tell me we have spent ?470,000 on ground improvements.
Lucky if we have spent ?50.
WHERE IS THE LOTTERY MONEY GOING IF ITS FOR GROUND IMPROVEMENTS ??????

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
If you look at the Pride of 5 draw now, you will see that it now says

"Everyone subscribing to the Whitehaven Pride of 5 draw makes a direct contribution to ongoing improvements to the town's rugby league club and enhance development in an existing successful organisation"

That is a change from when the draw was set up, and reading between the lines, it says they can spend it on what ever they deem necessary.

TW

Offline champ

• First Team Backup

"Everyone subscribing to the Whitehaven Pride of 5 draw makes a direct contribution to ongoing improvements to the town's rugby league club and enhance development in an existing successful organisation"

That is a change from when the draw was set up, and reading between the lines, it says they can spend it on what ever they deem necessary.

TW
[/quote
Taken from an origional application for the pride of 5 which i have in front of me.

Everyone subscribing to the pride of 5 draw makes a direct contribution to the ongoing improvements to the towns rugby league club and enhance youth developement in an  existing successful organization.

Offline shavenhaven

• Academy Star

TW
[/quote
Taken from an origional application for the pride of 5 which i have in front of me.

Everyone subscribing to the pride of 5 draw makes a direct contribution to the ongoing improvements to the towns rugby league club and enhance youth developement in an  existing successful organization.

If that is the case why was i told when they knocked on my door and asked me to join that it was soley for ground improvements ?????

Offline tattie

• Academy Star

may be eddie stobbard is bringing us a new stand ? but we can't have it till next year
ALWAYS  HAVEN

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Why concentrate on a S/L ground, When we no S/L team to play in it?

OK folk's Instead of us saying all the time we are going to have a ground fit for S/L season after season. Would we not be better off setting our sites on a S/L team first. Whats the point in having a ground / stadium redevelopment and having a stadium to be proud of and show off if we only have a mediocre team playing in it. Does it not make sense to spend the money on a team build first.
I would love a nice shiny new ground don't get me wrong. But I would rather sit in a crappy ground and watch great rugby being played by great players, Rather then sit in a state of the art ground watching average rugby from middle of the road players? 
So why not concentrate on the team building first. Because come on face it guy's we are not going into S/L in the near future are we. Not this season and probably not next unless we start spending some money.
In my opinion Widnes are going up, No ifs or buts. Even if we had a miracle and did get to the grand final and won it. What then we don't get in eitherway because no way on this earth is the ground going to be made ready in the off season, anyway how many times have we and S/L heard this?  "Honest we will be ready next season" On numerous occasions.
Anyway for the next couple of seasons. Widnes / Castleford / Leigh and who ever comes down this season are going to be the main contenders. Especially Castleford/ Leigh / and who ever comes down. That's 3 ex S/L teams wanting back up big time.
So even then we will be lucky if we finish 4th next season So come on lets spend on new players NOW and consider the ground when we are in a position that Widnes are now sitting at the top looking invincible.

full of positives again space haven

spent most of the last 2 years complaining about  the ground and when we have movement on it you complain still ,,dos not matter what the club does they will never get anything right in your eyes
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2007, 11:52:41 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

WHITEHAVENHERO

Nope they never do anything right, and I been right for the last 2 years gob on a stick. You want to have a go at me. Go right ahead.
You wont intimidate me , trust me on that marra.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2007, 12:11:37 am by WHITEHAVENHERO »

Offline champ

• First Team Backup
Must be truly superb being right all the time  ;D