HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Season so Far >>Second half much Tougher

Offline XIII

• Academy Star
on: 14 Jun 2007, 09:57:49 pm
Well having played nearly half the games I have to say we are probably in a slighly false positon.  As yet we havent really hit the height in any league game and  we have in all honesty thrown away two games we should not have lost.  As things stand having had by far the easiest start we should have been unbeaten so far.

In the second half of the season we have Cas (h) and (a) Widnes (h) and (a) and Halifax (a).   If I am being honest I would be surprised if we win any of those games based on our form so far.

Assuming we don't lose to the likes of Rochdale and Sheffield (a) (which we are more than capbale of doing) we could end up with seven losses in the league.

My view on the problems:-

(1) Our play of the ball and speed around the ruck is noticably slower than the other top teams.

(2) Unusually for Whitehaven over recent years we are light in the forwards, specificallyy at Prop.  Both halifax and leigh have outplayed us up front and we have yet to face Widnes and Cas.

(3) Its unfortunate to say this but I honestly dont think our half back paring is strong enough Either Duffy or Rudd with a higher quality player would be ok but togehther they just dont have enough zip and spark.

Compare our other half backs in the recent succesful years Obst and Joe /  Penny and Joe.  The sum of either of these two is slighlty better than the current pairing. In my view not by much but enough in tight games.

(4)  In a small squad we have had injuries to two importent players Hill and Macavoy.  Hill gives good go forward off the bench as a third prop and Mcavoy is strong in attack, we couldn't really afford to lose wither of those players for what really amounts to a whole season.  i.e  once their able to play it will take six weeks to get match fit at least.

Overall I think we will finish fourth.  Still ok but probably fairly reflects the slight drop in quality of the team and performences this year.         

popularsider

Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:16:59 pm
i think we need to bring in a prop on loan look at the lads who wont be getting a game now

hargreaves at saints (saints today signed flannery from roosters so he wil be in there)

danny sculthorpe at wakefield

david tangata-toa at hull kr
ryan tandy at hull kr

nick scruton at leeds

louis scarsbrook-mccarthy at quins

ben harrison at warrington

david gower at salford

let teare and wright go bring in some of these

id play craig mcavoy at 6 aswell

Offline XIII

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:21:48 pm
A prop I agree with.  As for this idea of bringing in player from the accadammy to be quite frank they arent good enogh.  One or two  can slot in agains the lesser teams but even then they struggle Benson was responsible for two trys on Sunday when you look at the vid.  Bainbbridge was totally none existant against dewsbury.

The best player we have are the ones in the first team now I am afraid.

popularsider

Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:46:42 pm
i never mentioned in bringing in an academy player. craig mcavoy is classed as a first teamer and is a far better stand off than carl rudd macca snr has pace and a good kicking game

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2007, 11:18:36 pm
i never mentioned in bringing in an academy player. craig mcavoy is classed as a first teamer and is a far better stand off than carl rudd macca snr has pace and a good kicking game

If  thats  the  case  then  lets  hope  we  see  Craig  at  6  tomorrow.  He  might  just  turn  out  to  be  1  of  the  finds  of  the  season  behind  Fletcher

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2007, 02:01:12 am

If  thats  the  case  then  lets  hope  we  see  Craig  at  6  tomorrow.  He  might  just  turn  out  to  be  1  of  the  finds  of  the  season  behind  Fletcher

You know something we don't?  ;)
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.