HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Dion

Brow Lad · 346 · 23077

Offline realist_2010

• Academy Star
Reply #30 on: 06 Feb 2017, 11:50:19 am

The club seems to lurch from one poor decision to another.

Who at the club has the balls to take charge and sort the shambles out.

What is the poor decision?

Amanda is working damn hard to sort it out. A problem not of the club's making

Refusing to give a proven international coach money to sign the players he wanted resulting in him turning down a contract.

Employing an unproven inexperienced lad to coach the team.

Not tearing up Aiye's contract when he lost his passport and making alternative arrangements. We could have signed Callum Phillips if rumours are true.

The problem at the club is the WE ARE TOO NICE!!!!

I have absolutely no doubt that everyone with a stake in the club, in particular the Directors and staff, along with players and the coach are ''working their you know what's off'' to get the club to a better place. I think maybe the issue is one of expectation and managing that expectation given the clubs relegation last season and the upheaval from that.

I read on here in a post a few months ago about how the ''town was buzzing'' and how the team / coming season was the ''talk of the pubs'' etc. etc. I took that with a pinch of salt as in all honesty as to me it was all getting a bit hysterical and over blown -  Maybe the prospect of being in a lower league masked reality.

Haven were relegated. We have no right to assume that we will bounce right back up just because we are Haven. We have no right to win a game because people perceive we are too good for C1. We talk about strengthening and new players and people get all over excited and expect immediate results. Do people not realise other clubs strengthen similarly -  if not take a look at results to date.

I do believe we will come good, I do not believe we will get promoted and I hope that expectation can be proportionate to who were are, where we are at and take account of whoever else is in this League with equal ambition. Failing that this Forum could be a pretty miserable place to be this season.

On a final note, I think the Dion issue is in all honesty (and possibly through no fault of the club) becoming a farce. Again I read posts on here saying it will all be sorted soon etc.: well its doesn't appear that way. I have no idea if the posts are 'official' club posts other than Amanda's. I suspect it may be better to await official news rather than raise hopes on what is essentially hearsay.

Offline Steven DeMont

• First Team Regular
Reply #31 on: 06 Feb 2017, 12:18:32 pm

Great point regarding expectation.

There seems to be conflicting messages emerging from the club. One day we have no money to sign players who a prospective proven coach wanted to sign and then next minute we are signing players left right and centre. Some of these players have been signed on sentiment.

The players we have should be good enough to mount a huge promotion challenge yet we lost a game yesterday against a team that would struggle against our 3 conference teams.

It just seems as if we are again fluttering on the breeze with no structure or direction.

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #32 on: 06 Feb 2017, 01:45:58 pm
Personally would like to know the difference in the budget that Ian Rooney was quoted to the one the present coaching set up had to work with,if it was significantly bigger,why wasn't it offered to the better,more experienced coach ,won't hold my breath.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 06 Feb 2017, 03:02:25 pm

There seems to be conflicting messages emerging from the club. One day we have no money to sign players who a prospective proven coach wanted to sign and then next minute we are signing players left right and centre. Some of these players have been signed on sentiment.

The players we have should be good enough to mount a huge promotion challenge yet we lost a game yesterday against a team that would struggle against our 3 conference teams.

It just seems as if we are again fluttering on the breeze with no structure or direction.

Think you are being a bit disrespectful to town there
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline garfield

• Academy Signing
Reply #34 on: 06 Feb 2017, 04:03:53 pm

Hi DeMont. Are you genuinely serious about the conference teams?

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #35 on: 06 Feb 2017, 04:10:22 pm
They maybe get beat but they deffo would give them a game on yesterdays performance

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #36 on: 06 Feb 2017, 04:15:38 pm
They maybe get beat but they deffo would give them a game on yesterdays performance

So what would they do to whitehaven ?
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #37 on: 06 Feb 2017, 05:08:38 pm

So what would they do to whitehaven ?

At this moment in time,with their strongest teams they would be a handful for both teams.

Offline one in all in

• Academy Star
Reply #38 on: 06 Feb 2017, 05:11:28 pm
I heard yesterday that dion is not coming back this season

Popularsider13

Reply #39 on: 06 Feb 2017, 05:18:46 pm
He's taking the pi55 out of your club. Accidently lost documents so he didn't have to come back for pre-season training.

Offline Mk1

• First Team Backup
Reply #40 on: 06 Feb 2017, 05:33:22 pm
Not sure whether he's taking the proverbial or has genuinely got a problem with his visa. Seems a bit odd loseing your passport, anytime I go abroad passport is either in the safe or on my body belt - not suggesting he wears a body belt at all times but as his income depends on playing RL abroad, would think it reasonable he kept his documents both safe and accessible. Maybe me just bring cynical but at this stage of the season would be looking to divert the Dion finances elsewhere.

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #41 on: 06 Feb 2017, 07:06:44 pm
If we end this "Saga" I would see if Widnes would loan us Jordan Johnstone for the season, could we even use his money for the experienced Lee Smith (combine with a development role of still available) who has left Leigh
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #42 on: 06 Feb 2017, 07:12:57 pm
If we end this "Saga" I would see if Widnes would loan us Jordan Johnstone for the season, could we even use his money for the experienced Lee Smith (combine with a development role of still available) who has left Leigh

Don't be surprised if Smith ends up at Bradford. It is the club nearest his home

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #43 on: 06 Feb 2017, 07:17:50 pm

The club seems to lurch from one poor decision to another.

Who at the club has the balls to take charge and sort the shambles out.

What is the poor decision?

Amanda is working damn hard to sort it out. A problem not of the club's making

Refusing to give a proven international coach money to sign the players he wanted resulting in him turning down a contract.

Employing an unproven inexperienced lad to coach the team.

Not tearing up Aiye's contract when he lost his passport and making alternative arrangements. We could have signed Callum Phillips if rumours are true.

The problem at the club is the WE ARE TOO NICE!!!!

Wow. A bit OTT that

The international coach who has zero experience coaching a pro team? Maybe could understand the exceptional reaction if it had been Wayne Bennett

Aiye has lost his Biometric card not his passport. Maybe deliberately maybe not. Who knows. 12 weeks as per Amanda's post above would take us to the end of the month so presumably we shall see in due course

Sometimes you have to be nice. It's called professionalism

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #44 on: 06 Feb 2017, 07:33:33 pm

Don't be surprised if Smith ends up at Bradford. It is the club nearest his home

I really don't think he would come here under current circumstances and will have offers from higher teams closer to home, but if you don't ask you will never know as the old saying (kinda) goes
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."