HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Knickname or Not?

Guest · 37 · 2259

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2007, 08:37:17 pm
saying that if we changed the 2nd bit we,d need a new mascot too or it would be whitehaven lions lol

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2007, 03:17:26 pm
Have taken a while to reply to this thread as a lot of consideration is required.

Traditionalist in me would say just leave it as Whitehaven RLFC.

However, we must be commercially aware of the current market the club has to operate in.

A good moniker could potetially be worth thousands to the club in terms of both marketing and sales of merchandise.

Unfortunately would not run with a moniker relating to the past, i.e. mining, nor one relating to the nuclear industry as could get too political.

However someone mentioned "mariners" and with our links to the sea and the bi-annual Maritime Festival, then a moniker with a link in this direction would be perfect.

So, after much deliberation on the subject I would like to put forward:

WHITEHAVEN PIRATES

The possibilities could be endless to promote the brand, and I thought that the Testimonial Shirts looked excellent in Black & White, so perhaps our away strip could be Black & White along the lines of the NZ All Blacks, whilst still retaining our traditional Chocolate, Blue & Gold for the home strip (with the addition of a skull & crossbones).

Hopefully this post will generate some thought on the subject and perhaps someone technical could set up a vote as to whether or not to adopt a moniker.

Could be the way forward and increase our profile and generate some much needed additional income for the club. Don't forget Halifax are looking at going full-time next season.

WHITEHAVENHERO

Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2007, 04:36:36 pm
Whitehaven Pirates! Nice one mate, or how about

Whitehaven Bucaneers
Whitehaven Scallywags
Whitehaven Seadogs

Sorry got a little carried away loll

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2007, 04:48:56 pm
Whitehaven Pirates or Privateers both fine by me!

If money was no object wouldn't it be good to make Fortress Recre look like a Fortress too (Only from the outside obviously!), never mind fireworks for the Sky matches - let the cannons off!!!!
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

WHITEHAVENHERO

Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:24:26 pm
We should have a knickname, What can we use when we support our club when we just called Whitehaven.
Widnes Vikings, well of course they can dress as vikings at big games, What the hell have we got that we can take to a game,
A Flag with Whitehaven on. I think the Suggestion Whitehaven Pirates is  brilliant, What better than to have a flag with the skull and cross bones on it, or going to away games dressed as pirates. Brilliant

popularsider

Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:25:35 pm
whitehaven waratahs

WHITEHAVENHERO

Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:30:09 pm
whitehaven waratahs

Come on Popular give me a clue? What is Warathas abd how you pronounce it marra. loll

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:38:53 pm
We should have a knickname, What can we use when we support our club when we just called Whitehaven.
Widnes Vikings, well of course they can dress as vikings at big games, What the hell have we got that we can take to a game,
A Flag with Whitehaven on. I think the Suggestion Whitehaven Pirates is  brilliant, What better than to have a flag with the skull and cross bones on it, or going to away games dressed as pirates. Brilliant

I did say an option for fancy dress would be marratimers so good un I like PIRATES the mascot could be Captain Hook!!!

The away strip if large  Black and White Hoops would make the team look bigger, then frighten the opposition before they start!!!

Offline champ

• First Team Backup
Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:40:45 pm
We have a nickname that is well known all around. HAVEN

Offline barney

• Academy Signing
Reply #24 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:46:44 pm
Haven for me too but if i was pushed then Whitehaven MARRAS would be the only choice for me.

popularsider

Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2007, 11:28:49 pm
split it up whitehaven hero

wara tahs

WHITEHAVENHERO

Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2007, 11:46:08 pm
We have a nickname that is well known all around. HAVEN

Yes I know it's known all around, But where is the fun element for the fans. Like I say what do you dress up as Haven.

Offline Bora18

• Academy Star
Reply #27 on: 28 Jun 2007, 12:41:06 am
dog food factory for me like

WHITEHAVENHERO

Reply #28 on: 28 Jun 2007, 11:56:32 am
Suppose we could always be called

WHITEHAVEN DODGERS,  "LEAVE THE JAMMY BIT FOR TOWN"  ;D

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2007, 01:15:00 pm
Suppose we could always be called