HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Knickname or Not?

Guest · 37 · 2242

Offline Fomerly of Northumbria Uni Haven

• Academy Star
Reply #30 on: 28 Jun 2007, 02:07:22 pm
Whitehaven Warriors or just Whitehaven RLFC. I'm not a fan of this Americanised knickname rubbish

Offline no jam

• Academy Signing
Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2007, 09:39:07 pm
Haven'y commented on this site for a while but just had to on this one,
I like the whole pirates connection and the sea etc etc .... But think for one moment, if we call ourselves pirates our badge doesn't  match, or any other nickname for that matter, so only one question? would you change our badge {HISTORY, SOMETHING SKY HAVE NO PERCEPTION OF} because the next step in the branding would be  a "scary pirate" logo on the shirt.
Think cas "tigers"  badge, cant move for them and the wilderbeasts  in yorkshire, oh and the great norse community of widness.
And who could forget Donny lakers, more apt than they ever thought, god help them.

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #32 on: 29 Jun 2007, 09:22:09 am
Referring back to my original posting, adopting a moniker isn't just for the fans to dress-up etc....

It envolves the wider issue of promoting the club to the wider business community and making the club more marketable.

If the club can appoint a "Business & Marketing Manager" whose sole responsibility is to promote the club and generate additional income, then a more marketable brand would help their cause no end.

Next year Halifax are going full time. If we all want Haven to be competitive in NL1, never mind gaining a franchise in Super League, then realistically the club would need to go full time, which costs a lot of extra money. Next year, whoever comes down from Super League, plus Leigh, Castleford, Widnes & Halifax will be full time (obviously if it isn't Whitehaven, one of these clubs will be in Super League).

Yes, we are holding our own this year, but the gap between Full Time teams and Part Time teams will widen over the years.

So, additional income must be generated for the club, through both increasing attendances by improving the matchday experience and getting the wider Business Community on board. So far, B&H Motors and the Nuclear Industry have been very generous in supporting the club, along with all of the other smaller sponsors.

However, with the television exposure we can offer potential sponsors, the club needs in place a marketing strategy to gain financial sponsorship from the National Companies to allow the club to go Full-Time. The sponsorship need not be just on our jerseys, but also sponsorship of the stands, floodlights etc..

I agree with Des in that the Pow Beck scheme for the development of the Popular Side is a long-term project, which may or may not happen. But in the meantime if the club can move forward with the rest of the ground, redeveloping either side of the current Grandstand and also both the Kells End and the Railway End, together with a new clubhouse, then the push for a Cumbrian Super League team should be back at the forefront of the wider Rugby League Communities agenda. After all with our local Amateur Clubs and the passion in the area for Rugby League then Cumbria has much more to offer than some of the other proposed bidders for a SL Franchise.

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2007, 12:18:53 pm
I agree with everything you have said Manc. marra.  Whether people like it or not RL is now a business and there has to be both short and long term strategies to develop the business.  The one thing people seem to miss is that if the club is marketed and developed in the right way, it is potentially the second biggest 'visitor attraction' to the town of Whitehaven.
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2007, 12:40:52 pm
the only time this club will go full time is when we are averaging 3,000 a week or the old players ie lester fats broabent seeds all leave the club and new blood is brought in dont get me wrong i would ove to see haven fulltime pros but to be honest it aint gonna happen is it the club havent got it in em to go full time or they would have 2 yrs ago but it all come down to muny so i dont no how leigh are fulltime they dont get bigger gates than us and arent a bigger club than so dont no how they do it

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2007, 02:51:10 pm
WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

Simple answer regarding Leigh - Commercial Sponsorship Money.

Remember earlier this season, they were considering dropping the Centurions moniker - suddenly changed their minds! I wonder why, is it because Leigh RLFC is less marketable than Leigh Centurions RLFC?

Just a thought

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #36 on: 01 Jul 2007, 12:04:50 pm
What about Whitehaven Stobarts. Might get some funding, and a sponsor with some cash loll + he could bring that big screen down to the Recre  ;D

WWH  this is without doubt the most sensible post you have written on the site. A briliant idea  @Whitehaven Stobbarts@
Brilliant   hope someone from the clubsreds this and takes some steps to try and make this happen.
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA