HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Arnold 'Boxer' Walker

Offline Amanda

• First Team Backup
on: 11 May 2017, 02:29:59 pm
Arnold "Boxer" Walker will be present in the sponsor's lounge and J.J.Bar at the Hemel game Sunday 21st May, for his much awaited book launch. Simply entitled "Boxer" and written by Mike Gardner it's a superb read and I am lucky to have had an early copy to review. We want all our existing fans and old fans to come along to the Recreation Ground and make it a special day for both the club and Arnold. Accordingly we are having a few special offers. There will be children's rugby competition with parents getting a concession ticket, the main gate price will be reduced to £15, Children under 11 accompanied with an adult will get free admission, there will also be a double header offer - come down to the ground before next Friday and buy a double header ticket which will cover both the Hemel game and the Gloucester game and it will only cost you £25. Our old friends up the road are not forgotten either, if you are a Town season ticket holder then bring you season ticket and I.D and we will let you in for £10. So please do all make the effort and help the club and recognise and pay tribute to the man that is the legend Arnold "Boxer" Walker. Oh and of course buy a book.

Amanda Hewer G.M.

Offline gmc66

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 21 May 2017, 08:36:16 pm
Early night for me reading boxers book, so far its one hell ofa read but had to jump to chapter 24 : the legendary "spanky McFarlane"...first line boxer says... hes 74 but would pass for 65!!! cant wait to read this book........class

Offline touchjudge57

• First Team Backup
Reply #2 on: 21 May 2017, 09:33:43 pm
Got mine today Marra. This is a must read for anyone who watched the game in Boxer's era.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2017, 09:36:13 pm by touchjudge57 »

Online haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #3 on: 21 May 2017, 10:10:50 pm
Got mine today Marra. This is a must read for anyone who watched the game in Boxer's era.
Very true one of my heroes got mine today
born and bred haven.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 22 May 2017, 07:41:47 pm
He was a hard griitty player. Never shirked a tackle. Think it was against Bradford in the old 1st division he played a blinder. Went flying into every tackle. Away fans kept screaming at the ref to send him off. He was well fired up that day.  A great shame his career was curtailed by injury. Will look forward to reading his memoirs

Offline gmc66

• First Team Regular
Reply #5 on: 26 May 2017, 05:38:24 pm
Aday in the sun reading boxers  book ....cant believe he only played 25 first team games in his first 2 year at town learning his trade in A team and how he accepted that.now i know we dont have Ateams nowadays but  how it was a big part of your apprenticeship in thos days...couldnt sit on back of bus cos thats where the seasoned pros sat, how you done what the old timers said. water over toilet walls etc...im loving this book . no doubt as he settled in he became a character cant put it down :tip: