HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Play Off Final - Match Reaction

Offline Barramarra

• First Team Regular
Reply #15 on: 01 Oct 2017, 06:27:39 pm
I would guarantee that Barrow spent a lot more money than Haven. I was stood side on to Ropes picking that ball up, for me it was never a knock on. Why wasn't the game on telly,  that decision alone would have covers the costs!  >:(
Ref gave you more than enough today.
the only way is up.

Offline HavenMarra7

• Academy Star
  • 2005 League Winners
Reply #16 on: 01 Oct 2017, 06:30:35 pm
Gutted but that's sport. Carl's done a fantastic job and if we can keep the spine of this side we will continue to improve, well done Barrow as well they finished 2nd overall and probably deserved it in the end.

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #17 on: 01 Oct 2017, 06:32:26 pm
 :D :D :D :D
I would guarantee that Barrow spent a lot more money than Haven. I was stood side on to Ropes picking that ball up, for me it was never a knock on. Why wasn't the game on telly,  that decision alone would have covers the costs!  >:(

Offline Byron

• Academy Signing
Reply #18 on: 01 Oct 2017, 06:47:39 pm

What a load of b******s!
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2017, 06:52:15 pm by MrsHavenWarrior »

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #19 on: 01 Oct 2017, 06:52:11 pm
Well done boys what showed today we need a 6 and 7 who command the ball we were far the better team and we lost it ourselves, but hey huge effort and can’t fault the lads one bit well done Haven we go again next year 👏🏻👏🏻

Offline farawayfan

• Academy Star
Reply #20 on: 01 Oct 2017, 06:57:51 pm
The game changed when Newton came on and Dion went to half back, why the coaching staff reverted back to Dion at 2nd row we'll never know. Barrow were terrified when Dion was on the ball. Inexperience cost haven. Ref made 3 big decisions that all went for barrow; roper knock on, penalised forster when trying to play the ball and penalised haven from the kick off when the haven defender just stood his ground.
HAVEN......PRIDE OF CUMBRIA

Offline Jamlover

• Academy Signing
Reply #21 on: 01 Oct 2017, 07:06:54 pm
One up rugby again... boring!
If they want to keep on winning the games they need to use their backs & start passing out!

Too many glory boys in the side waiting at the line trying to get over!

Look forward to next season & seeing what players we keep & sign..

Offline lastmanstanding

• First Team Backup
Reply #22 on: 01 Oct 2017, 07:24:28 pm
Agree with Jameater? we played one man rugby and our best player (Jordan Burns) got no ball to challenge Barrows defence, Barrow are a big side and if we had thrown the ball around they would have tired more and the gaps would have opened up. Newts when on tore them apart and did not get a 2nd chance as they put Conor on with 10minutes to go grrrrrr. Any how let's see who we keep and who we loose as Jameater said 'we need half backs to dominate the play and game. Good effort lads well done though👍🏻

Offline Mirehouselegend

• Fans Favourite
Reply #23 on: 01 Oct 2017, 07:27:30 pm
Wasn't a great game but I really think Haven are the better team. Ref was shocking at times and can someone tell me how the barrow winger was allowed to come back on when he was knocked out in first half. Our fans are truelly awesome when we turn up in numbers.

Offline Barramarra

• First Team Regular
Reply #24 on: 01 Oct 2017, 07:34:00 pm

What a load of b******s!
He was mote than fair to Haven.
the only way is up.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #25 on: 01 Oct 2017, 07:42:08 pm
Agree with Jameater? we played one man rugby and our best player (Jordan Burns) got no ball to challenge Barrows defence, Barrow are a big side and if we had thrown the ball around they would have tired more and the gaps would have opened up. Newts when on tore them apart and did not get a 2nd chance as they put Conor on with 10minutes to go grrrrrr. Any how let's see who we keep and who we loose as Jameater said 'we need half backs to dominate the play and game. Good effort lads well done though👍🏻

Been a great season for all the players, fans and the club. But we are seriously lacking a half back with pace. You could probably count on 1 hand the number of breaks our first choice 6 and 7 made all season.

After what we served up pre season, we have done fantastic, but would we have won today, if Charnock and Dalimire were our halves.

HW

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #26 on: 01 Oct 2017, 07:42:32 pm

What a load of b******s!
He was mote than fair to Haven.
are you for real marra he dissalowed a fair try by dion at 6-4 to us youve seriously got blinkers on and he piggy backed youse at 6 all

Offline havenfan

• Academy Star
Reply #27 on: 01 Oct 2017, 07:46:02 pm
Great effort today, couldn't have asked for the players to give any more. Defence was generally pretty good but we are seriously lacking in attacking options. Every time we got near the line we just tried to barge over

Hate to say it but Dalimores kicking game was the difference between two very evenly matched teams. If they got penalty on their 20, the distance from his kicks meant they would be starting an attack in well in our half. Even if we pinned them inside their half for 5 tackles, he had the range to kick it dead in goal and force us to restart on our 20. Real easy yards with no effort but can really swing the momentum.

Contrast that with our dismal efforts which barely made 10 yards and the amount of effort that the team then has to put in to get up the pitch. Against poor sides we can get away with it but not against good teams like Barrow.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Barrow were smarter in attack than us and deserved the win but I was disappointed with  how weak the ref was today. Genuinely thought Roper had gathered the ball without knocking on and even on the unlikely event of Chris Taylor deliberately tripping  the Barrow player up when trying to play the ball (really?) I have no idea why Dalimore was allowed to move the ball at least 5 yards in from the touch line to then take his attempt on goal. I thought the  irony that if he kicked it from where he was meant to then it would probably have sailed right through the middle instead of hitting the far post was brilliant.

Dont think Barrow got penalised for a high tackle despite several being made and yet Jordan burns got penalised by the linesman for one following a great kick chase and tackle and he never really got on top of all the niggles at the play the ball. Sure there was an incident near the Barrow line in the first half when he waved play on and then changed his mind a few seconds later and awarded a knock on. Amazed he is a super league ref given his lack of confidence.

Offline billwiff

• Academy Star
Reply #28 on: 01 Oct 2017, 07:54:52 pm
Not having a decent half back who could kick was the difference -strong wind behind you in the 1st half which you didn't use .

Offline lastmanstanding

• First Team Backup
Reply #29 on: 01 Oct 2017, 08:09:26 pm
Not having a decent half back who could kick was the difference -strong wind behind you in the 1st half which you didn't use .
agree we never have had that ability