HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Haven v Oldham 18.2.18 - Match Reaction

Offline havenfan

• Academy Star
Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2018, 07:09:42 pm
Well that was an awful game to watch. Was like a union game from the 80s, trundle up the middle, try and win a niggly penalty and then kick for goal

Hard to criticise for lack of effort or saying that the players weren't interested, there was some real gutsy defence on show and they really put their bodies on the line.

We must be one of the least adaptable teams around though, we still don't have half backs who can change the direction or pace of a game when our game plan isn't working or we get in  a situation where we have an extra man etc.. Today We just didnt have a plan B. We couldn't out muscle them down the middle and made no real attempt to try anything else when that obviously wasn't working. Every single game, the number of times we concede stupid penalties on the last tackle is ridiculous and our tacklers constantly get left on the floor and can't get in position it be effective markers at the play the ball

The good news is that I would be suprised if Levy wants to turn out for Oldham given the stick he got from their fans and their props attempt to remove his head from his neck (which was completely missed by all 3 officials!)

Got to be a kick in the gut for the club in general too, there was a bit of a buzz after beating town and a decent crowd today... A good game of rugby (regardless of result) would hopefully kept momentum going. I hope that this one bad game doesn't derail the attempts to bring crowds back.

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2018, 07:22:26 pm
Well that was rubbish. One man rugby all game and ill discipline cost us dearly. Conditions were very heavy and having only 16 players told I'm afraid. Phillips to hooker and a fit dion at 6 soon please. Could go on and on about this rubbish game but i won't. Cup game next week to try a few things out I hope.
  That was a good results for the Skolars at Crusaders today. Could easy turn us over after todays performance. 

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2018, 09:09:20 pm
Unacceptable disappointed with 16 on our first game Oldham not a great deal surely should be playing 17 jjp stood beside me wanting to play
born and bred haven.

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 18 Feb 2018, 09:29:53 pm
Lol at that shaun, he has had 3 months to get back here, but decided to mess the club around, not allowing them to sort the visa out.  Maybe remind him of that next time your stood next him.

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2018, 09:54:42 pm
Hero’s one game & zero’s the next!

Tactics were all wrong, running back into the quagmire under Kelly’s end sticks time and time again and being way too flat in attack giving our halves little time but saying that there seemed to be very little in set plays going on.

Given that we were so poor we still shoulda/coulda had 3 tries before the (Oldham caused) melee which led to our brain farts in terms of discipline; When Thompson broke down the flank, Connors kick to the corner and Mossop down the other flank. With the state of that pitch and quality of RL on offer Oldham would never have came back from those. Hope is not yet lost
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2018, 10:02:12 pm
Hope isn't lost no, unfortunately I would say 200 fans for the season are.

Offline roxy274

• Academy Star
Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2018, 10:41:39 pm
Where was the lad we loaned from Barrow today ?

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #37 on: 18 Feb 2018, 10:45:53 pm
Where was the lad we loaned from Barrow today ?

Unwell.

HW

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #38 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:22:49 am
Unless my memory lets me down, didn't Forster promise us open attacking play at the start of last season, (not complaining about last seasons overall performance), but what we saw yesterday was clueless with ball in hand. I hate doing this....but have to admit Oldham were the far more effective and attacking team with ball in hand, and all we did was try to trundle the ball down the middle all of the time.

Simple question here .....WHY ???

Offline lastmanstanding

• First Team Backup
Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:28:23 am
We have no general who can dictate play or change how the game is going, can't see us doing much this season as we bereft of ideas, listening to coaches interview was a bit of a kick in the teeth for us supporters. The team should only be beaten by a better team and not because we played crap, surly an apology to those who paid good money to watch a team play crap is nothing short of decency from the club. To

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #40 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:36:53 am
In Forster's after match interview he said they had went off the game plan in the first half and told them again at half-time and they  still ignored him, should have 4 or 5 back next week so he will be making changes.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #41 on: 19 Feb 2018, 01:13:50 pm
Forster our now with a broken hand according to twitter so he played with a broken hand yesterday after he broke it on the first set absolute animal he is hope it’s not too long out

Offline Steven DeMont

• First Team Regular
Reply #42 on: 19 Feb 2018, 02:43:10 pm

We desperately need a half back to organise the team. It's not Phillips, Aiye or the young lads game.

It's glaringly obvious! I wonder what Tane Manihera is up to?

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #43 on: 19 Feb 2018, 03:16:44 pm
One major positive from yesterday was Burns....gets better every time I see him. Pity we don't have four more like him in the backs.

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #44 on: 19 Feb 2018, 03:58:10 pm
One major positive from yesterday was Burns....gets better every time I see him. Pity we don't have four more like him in the backs.

Agree, i think he would be our stand out player anywhere from 1 to 7.