HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Match program

Offline stockporthaven

• Academy Star
on: 24 Apr 2018, 02:58:30 pm
The game on Sunday was the best Haven performance I have seen since the heady days of 2004, apart from the "attempt" at a drop goal by Foz at the end, there is a reason that props do not drop goals...

I was very disappointed by the match day program. Living in Manchester I can not afford the time or money to get to every home game but sill buy my shirt every season, contribute to the 400 club etc so I feel that I have a right to gripe.

The squad list on the back of the program gave a list of players with no relationship to their squad number. Furthermore Olstrom, Nzoungou and Billsborough were all listed as squad members. I recognize that the final team selection is made on the day but an accurate squad list should not be a major problem. Also listed as scorers JJP is listed as Parker for the Hemel game but Nandye for Coventry.

The section on fund raising tells us that the squad of 2015 contribute to pride of 5 draw, a typo or a basic cut and paste.

A program is a source of income through selling advertising space etc but more would be sold with better articles

suggestions off top of head..

Links to local RL clubs, players from Brow, Kells etc who have wore C B & G
Profiles of former players
Profiles of current players
Analysis of a try from coaches perspective
Sporting quiz's
Reviews of Haven seasons of the past
Discussion of possible rule changes
Interviews with fans
Directions to away matches

It is not hard to come up with potential item and this could be farmed out to local schools sports studies students.

To be fair I would still follow Haven if the team sheets etc were on the back of a brown envolope but this should be an easy fix

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2018, 04:39:44 pm
All very good points......I seldom buy a program because at £2.50 I don't feel it's money well spent on the day.....(for the type of info I require).

In the JJMc bar, someone always nips around prior to KO with the 'actual' starting line up's........but not everyone in the final crowd doesn't make it into the bar.

It does need improving IMO too.

Offline touchjudge57

• First Team Backup
Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2018, 07:57:05 pm
I was involved with the match day programme from the early 2000’s until about 2015. At sometime over the years we have included everything you have suggested in the programme.
The last five years or so of that time I was the programme editor and battling away very much on my own.
I’ve burnt the midnight oil on a few occasions on a Wednesday night to make the Thursday morning deadline. This even included interviewing the coach at the time and then writing up his column!
Towards the end of my involvement and I’ve no reason to believe anything has changed, the programme was making very little or no money at all for a lot of effort.
Unfortunately, unlike professional football and Super League clubs, we do not have a full time media or marketing team that can push out a shiny match day magazine every week. Our club has to rely very much on volunteers.
Unfortunately there are very few, as I found to my cost, that can or are willing to make a regular commitment.

Offline stockporthaven

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2018, 08:05:56 pm
Not trying to criticize any individual. Fully recognize that volunteers have the best wishes of their club at heart and I realise that many of the" features" I suggested have been done in the past. I wish I was in a position to offer more concrete help but living 160 miles away prevents this. However it shoul be easy to get a list of names/squad numbers correct (just noticed Danny Green & Phil Lister were not even mentioned).

I commend all volunteers for their efforts in keeping our club going

Offline touchjudge57

• First Team Backup
Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2018, 08:26:31 pm
Not trying to criticize any individual. Fully recognize that volunteers have the best wishes of their club at heart and I realise that many of the" features" I suggested have been done in the past. I wish I was in a position to offer more concrete help but living 160 miles away prevents this. However it shoul be easy to get a list of names/squad numbers correct (just noticed Danny Green & Phil Lister were not even mentioned).

I commend all volunteers for their efforts in keeping our club going
👍