HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Give Calvert a break!

Boxer · 18 · 2239

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 15 Oct 2006, 07:49:44 pm
Do think we should give the bloke a bit of credit.  he has scored 25 try in 28 games this year which is about 10 more than anyone else in the team.  Yes he was crap at Widnes snd generally he is no great in defence or particulaly running the ball out of his 25m areas.

BUT he still scores a lot of trys and not by any means are they all walk ins.  he is the best winger weve had since Dalton lofthouse  etc and it is possible his defemce will improve.

You would have thought he would be on an intensive weights programme to bulk up a bit to give him confidence taking the abll in and tackling.  Even if he loses a yard of pace for the extra stone poss a worth while trade off.

Whatevver he is a try scorer with pace which are very rare in Cumbria over recent years!!!!!

havenchamps2005

Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2006, 08:05:01 pm
he needs confidence thats why id put him in the u21s for a few games
id move rob jackson to the wing and have mcavoy and nanyn in the centres  ;D

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2006, 09:41:26 pm

yep same here
haven till i die

Offline recregoer

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2006, 08:10:45 pm

Confidence being the key word. Are we going to be here at the end of next season saying the exact same thing. I actually remember the game when his confidence apparently went and that was Doncaster away on Good Friday where he was targetted with high kick after high kick. How long can someone seriously be short of confidence for.

On the other hand having a player with Craig's pace is always an advantage, i really do think that Craig has the perfect role model on the other side of the field. If Craig could read a game like Maden can he'd go along way things like coming inside at the right time and straightening up at the right time maybe with more experience. Next season is going to be a big year for Craig and probably the year where he either makes it or doesn't. I hope he does well but another season like the last one and however many tries he scores won't really matter. Errors stick in peoples minds and errors lose games.

I don't want people to feel like i'm criticising him either i'm just saying what i've watched this season and i hope he can put the errors right next season.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2006, 08:18:39 pm
He's  the  best  winger  we  have  at  the  club.  He  has  pace  to  burn  and  many  SL  wingers  wouldn't  stand  a  chance  of  catching  him.

As  for  putting  him  in  the  U21's......what  rubbish.  That  would  dent  his  confidence  even  more  knowing  he  was  relegated  to  the  junior  team.

The  best  way  to  rebuild  his  confidence  is  for  him  to  keep  his  1st  team  spot  and  score  plenty  of  tries.  He  has  from  now  till  Feb  to  sort  himself  out  which  I'm  sure  he  will.  He  has  an  odd  bad  game  or  two  and  he  gets  slated.......unbelievable

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2006, 09:38:04 pm
So being the clubs top try scorer dosent qualify as having made it.  Give him a break  some things he is good at some not so good.

If he could run like the wind, bust tackles, smash people in defense and sore for the high ball like an eagle he wouldn't be playing for Whitehaven.  Thank christ he can only do one of them (score trys) or else we wouldn't have him!!

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2006, 10:09:14 pm
he needs to get alot stronger though nobody can argue with that if we ever did get to super league the likes of vianakolo and keith senior would run all over him but then again they probably would most ov out team
haven till i die

Offline Iddy

• Academy Signing
Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2006, 11:58:47 pm

Craig has the raw talent to be a great player - its up to the coaching staff to bring that talent through. They need to make sure that he does the right training in pre-season and then work on him game by game to get him playing to his true abilities in the NRC games. Then he will be ready when the season starts.

The same goes for our other rising talents - we should judge our coach next season on how well he develops these players and brings them on. There is great potential in the club - lets not see it wasted.

Personally, I think there is a core of the team (including Craig) who would benefit from playing full time - if finances and personal cirumstances allow.

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2006, 04:12:32 pm
do u not think its about time we 4 got abt widnes match it been n gone one man does not win a match . esp when berkpatrick screwed us as well

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2006, 07:11:03 pm
it wasnt just widnes though
haven till i die

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2006, 10:38:26 pm
it wasnt just widnes though

when also then back up your opinion please

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2006, 09:08:46 pm
he played badly in defence most of the season he has never been a strong tackler even when he had confidence
haven till i die

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2006, 12:07:15 am
he played badly in defence most of the season he has never been a strong tackler even when he had confidence

sorry but i cannot agree with that comment craig will always be a good player and if you think you can do better by all meens sign

Offline Haven Crazy

• First Team Backup
  • Is tho in yan? Is tho in yan? oohoo
Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2006, 07:26:26 am
I'd rather have Calvert in my team any day than not!
Can't stand Jam, eh!

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2006, 05:25:47 pm
exactly mick nanyn never got slated as much when he missed that kick in the grand final

i think we should draw a line under this now craig is here to stay like it or lump it