HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Is 2000 Achievable?

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
on: 31 May 2018, 10:20:44 am
17 days to go before our next home game against the Bradford Bulls. Can we break the 2,000 gate barrier and to do so what does the club need to do to help promote the game and achieve this target??

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 31 May 2018, 11:20:30 am
The most reaction I hear in the rugby circle I knock about in is “am not paying 16 quid to watch that”!  “THAT” now is a good standard of rugby league on a winning run, but to get them back they have to be enticed and if that’s by dropping admissions so be it. The kids have to go free because there are the future they will spend money on sweets pop ect. The club can’t do anymore than what they did last week so they have to try something else.

Offline boldyno1

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 31 May 2018, 11:32:00 am
Club can keep prices at 16 quid and say 1000 turn up then 16k in bank.

If lower to 10 quid need 1600 to turn up to make same money and no guarantee they would so club in a hard position.

Most the lads I knock about with complain about the 16 quid ticket price but for a game like Bradford a lot are saying that they are gonna turn up as a big game.

Offline eternal optimist

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 31 May 2018, 11:55:45 am
The most reaction I hear in the rugby circle I knock about in is “am not paying 16 quid to watch that”!  “THAT” now is a good standard of rugby league on a winning run, but to get them back they have to be enticed and if that’s by dropping admissions so be it. The kids have to go free because there are the future they will spend money on sweets pop ect. The club can’t do anymore than what they did last week so they have to try something else.

THAT obviously means they won’t pay £16 to watch Championship RL as they didn’t turn out for two CC ties against Championship opposition. The £16 is a convenient excuse. Take VAT off £16 and the club are left with less than £13 for each adult. VAT is also paid on concessions and children.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2018, 12:09:34 pm by eternal optimist »

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #4 on: 31 May 2018, 12:20:26 pm
Average take on the gate is ~£10 a person at current prices, this includes almost a third of our gates being kids paying a fiver. Once VAT removed the club is looking at say £8 a person. So on a 600 gate we looking at £6k minus VAT, which has to pay 2 weeks contract money and 2 games winning losing pay plus all other expenses. Not a lot is it and Fozzy is working miracles providing a quality team playing some really good rugby on that sort of budget.

But alas the town seems not to care because we are not playing big teams every week but how are we expected to reach the Championship without the funds to put out a promotion winning team? And then there is the conundrum that shows the town aren’t willing to back the club against Championship teams shown by the horrendous gates in the Challenge Cup against 2 Championship teams.

Rant over and regardless of the above the club needs to see gates improve and potential sponsors need to see that the club can attract gates worthy of them “investing” in the club so the club are stuck in a catch 22. If we could get a 2000 gate against the Bulls with kids going free and say 1650 paying £12 it would go along way to (a) show sponsors the crowds are potentially there (b) create a great atmosphere for one of the clubs biggest games of the year (c) assist with the current financial plight

So can it be done????????

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 31 May 2018, 12:35:01 pm
Wonder if we will allow Bradford to stream the match?  Think that will have a large affect on the gate if we let them.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 31 May 2018, 01:17:47 pm
Wonder if we will allow Bradford to stream the match?  Think that will have a large affect on the gate if we let them.

I think you will find the streaming has no stopped the Bulls fans travelling.

HW

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #7 on: 31 May 2018, 01:42:25 pm
I think if the same things as sunday the york game happens ie bouncy castle the day for kids etc then a very high gate is achievable i for one cant wait 

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #8 on: 31 May 2018, 02:02:20 pm
Think the crowd will be around 1450 take the 750 on sunday be a couple of hundred more haven fans there add the 4-500 from bradford and thats the figure i can see coming any more will be a much needed bonus.On sunday there was 800 odd at hemel v bulls game so i would think at least 600 of them would be bulls fans .

Offline DonkeyParker

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 31 May 2018, 04:15:15 pm
Don't expect many Bulls fans to stop and have a drink after the match... They're on the coaches and away as quick as possible.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #10 on: 31 May 2018, 05:02:55 pm
Suppose it depends if we let em stream the game if we do they will stay if not they will go

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 31 May 2018, 05:11:22 pm

HW

Maybe not, but i would expect it would be enough to keep a lot our 'fans' at home on their bums.

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #12 on: 31 May 2018, 05:13:02 pm
If the JJ McKeown bar is offering 2pound pints before the game, we should let the Bradford fans know so they can leave for the game a bit earlier.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 31 May 2018, 05:26:02 pm

HW

Maybe not, but i would expect it would be enough to keep a lot our 'fans' at home on their bums.

I think it’s quite clear Haven fans need no excuse to stay away. Club are trying lots of things, but the crowd is staying the same. Sunday’s win was outstanding, and the Bulls game will be huge, but fans who have left, just don’t see the attraction of League 1 rugby been good enough to entice them back.

HW

Offline bustling billy

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 31 May 2018, 05:50:23 pm
Better to win most weeks in league 1 than get stuffed in league above more times than not can't see that bringing  crowds  back.