HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Gary Charlton - New Coach

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 02 Oct 2018, 05:58:55 pm
Whitehaven Rugby League are delighted to announce the Gary Charlton as the club's new coach for the 2019 season.
Charlton is a respected member of the Cumbrian rugby league community having played for all four Cumbrian clubs throughout his playing career - Barrow, Carlisle, Whitehaven and Workington.

Charlton's previous coaching experience has seen him coach Workington Town from 2009 until 2014 and Egremont Rangers in the NCL. He most recently coached Maryport in the Cumbria Men's League but after a short break in which he has often being part of commentary teams covering Haven games he's raring to go and taking charge of his hometown club.

Haven chairman Tom Todd said he was delighted Charlton had come on board and he was looking forward to working with him.

“For me he was the stand-out candidate,” said Todd. “He will bring a no-nonsense approach to the club, which is good.

“And obviously his pedigree is rugby league is excellent. He did a good job at Workington Town and he is well known and respected in the amateur game.

“We hope that he can help us build bridges with the amateur clubs.

“His dad was one of the finest Cumbrians ever to pull on a rugby jersey – Paul Charlton was rugby royalty so Gary has been brought up with the game.

“We are all looking forward to him coming down and putting his imprint on the club.

“And the fact that he knows times are hard but he is still willing to take the job on, knowing that we are not flush with money, says a lot about the man.”

Charlton will be joined Jonty Gorley as his assistant coach. Gorley is an experienced coach having coached Barla GB Under 21's and former assistant until earlier this year at Workington Town as well as being part of the Cumbria Academy and club legend Scott McAvoy will continue in his assistant coaching role.
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2018, 05:59:21 pm
Is this good or bad is he any good?

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:02:18 pm
Oh dear,best candidate,can’t have had many applicants then.

Offline Mirehouselegend

• Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:06:12 pm
On radio he said he'd done his bit for rugby and wouldn't coach again. That said if he gets us a decent home grown team then I'm sure the fans will be happy. He'll give his best that's for sure. Well come on board lads.

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:06:22 pm
Charlo, Jonty and Macca will do just fine.

Offline Biffer

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:07:04 pm
No comment from Charlton himself?

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #6 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:09:04 pm

Allegedly will be speaking on local radio later this evening
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline Biffer

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:16:08 pm

Allegedly will be speaking on local radio later this evening
Fair enough 👍
Decent appointment for you guys.
Thought he was good for Town in his spell, only reason that came to an end was that he had taken us as far as he could.

Offline Pinnochio

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:36:02 pm
Have to cut your suit according to your cloth . Give them a chance , unless you are able to fund alternatives . 3 local lads will do just fine .

Offline AllezHaven

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:51:19 pm
You can forget any support from me after all this. I feel I had money conned out of me £1000 and not aword has come from the club. Never mind there are plenty of clubs in West Yorks I can watch and give help to. Shall start at Newsome Panthers and their 600rso junior players.

I think the rest of you have put up with enough.
Allez haven

Been supporting Haven since Gus Risman stood on my new mac. My ma gave me hell!

Offline meesterC

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:51:52 pm
Bob smacked.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #11 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:57:14 pm
Really good appointment charlo and jonty will have top local contacts. A no no nonsense coach welcome to haven marra
born and bred haven.

Offline stockporthaven

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 02 Oct 2018, 07:05:39 pm
Give the guy a chance! He has taken on the job fully aware of the constraints. The time to judge is after the recruitment process and a few games under his belt. A lot of people had doubts about Forster and he didn't do a bad job.

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #13 on: 02 Oct 2018, 07:07:33 pm
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline splodge99

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 02 Oct 2018, 07:08:59 pm
Not saying he won't do a decent enough job.

However, he has always been very negative about the club... perhaps he should address that in any statement he makes?