HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

The Late Sam Coulter

Offline touchjudge57

• First Team Backup
on: 04 Oct 2018, 08:03:49 pm
Saddened to hear that Sam Coulter has passed away. Sam was a stalwart of the club and followed Haven from its formation in 1948.
My abiding memory will be of Sam greeting the opposing team with his customary autograph book as they alighted from the team bus outside the old pavilion change rooms during the 60’s and 70’s.

His collection of rugby league memorabilia from all over the world was second to none and was a great spectacle when he put this on show for local charities.

RIP Sam
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2018, 08:14:14 pm by touchjudge57 »

Offline eck

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 04 Oct 2018, 08:22:30 pm
Aye, he was my mam's cousin and was the life and soul of many a family party - absolute gent, R. I. P. Sam

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 04 Oct 2018, 08:27:01 pm
So sorry to hear my good friend, former neighbour and work colleague Sam Coulter has passed away, my condolences go to his Wife Margaret and Children Margaret and Alan, and his grandchildren.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2018, 09:08:58 pm by noahrob »

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 04 Oct 2018, 08:37:27 pm
Such a lovely bloke Sam ,had time for a crack with everyone and anyone about rugby .RIP
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 04 Oct 2018, 08:56:54 pm
R. I. P.

Offline random2

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 04 Oct 2018, 09:06:29 pm
Very sad. A great character in the history of Haven. RIP Sam.

Offline Kellsmarra

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 04 Oct 2018, 09:18:44 pm
R.I.P Sam, A true gent who had a passion 2nd to none for HAVEN,  :bow:

Offline davo5

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 04 Oct 2018, 10:52:30 pm
Sad news

Offline meesterC

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 05 Oct 2018, 07:28:37 am
Sad news,

He was a lovely chap who had time for everyone.

Online haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #9 on: 05 Oct 2018, 08:10:22 am
really sad news a true gentleman RIP sam
born and bred haven.

Offline kesker1963

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 05 Oct 2018, 11:16:27 am
RIP Sam , deepest sympathy to all his family and friends , a true haven legend.

Offline Haven Lottery Results

• First Team Backup
Reply #11 on: 05 Oct 2018, 02:26:38 pm
Dear Reader, 
           it is with great sadness that the club has to announce it has been informed of the passing of Mr. Sam Coulter and so could we take this opportunity to pass on our sincere condolences to his family and friends at this sad time. Not only from the club and its fans but also from the town itself and it goes without saying the rugby league community at large.
          When you talk about certain people connected to the club (and Sam has been so since 1948) sometimes the words: legend, fanatic, die-hard and lifelong are mentioned. Sam was all of these and more.
          On a personal level I could write pages about Sam but even at this sad time I think of him and just have a smile to myself. He used to come in the old lottery office and give us his 'joke of the day' and have us all in stitches - I never found out where he got hold of these jokes he would never tell me, then there was his charity work when Sam loved to put on a live show of his famous collection of memorabilia for local causes and I knew he always liked to talk about any item any person showed an interest in however small or large the item or however young or old the person. My most poignant memory of Sam was a couple of years ago at the civic hall exhibition when I asked " if you could only keep one thing from your collection Sam what would it be" he didn't even have to think he said "Reg Gasniers Tour Blazer" for you younger readers you need to Google him- he was one of the World's greatest ever players and a friend of Sams. He knew all the greats and wrote to many of them year on year and was very friendly with the late Vince Karalius. He was also close to another old Australian tourist called Dan Frawley who Sam referred to as Uncle Dan. To be honest Sam sort of knew everybody. Well that is when it was a proper game.
          Sam survived to a grand old age but that doesn't make his passing any easier, I have never until yesterday know a day that I was connected with the club when there wasn't a Sam Coulter. He also had a very distinctive voice and a ready smile he bore his own illness's lightly as if they were just a passing thing. We who knew him will not forget him.
          Farewell old friend!

We will post funeral details when we get them from the family. The club will of course fly the flag at half mast but we will wait for a suitable date and game next season when all at the club can show their respect.

This my favourite photo I took of Sam, Margaret and Simon, I hope you all enjoy it much as I treasure it.
T.Todd (Chairman) W.R.L.F.C
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2018, 04:59:18 pm by Haven Lottery Results »

Offline branstymarra

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 05 Oct 2018, 10:28:59 pm
very nice post Tommy, I am sure we all will miss Sam, one of the nicest man I have met, condolences to his family at this very sad time

Online haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #13 on: 05 Oct 2018, 10:49:48 pm
Funeral is on Thursday at 1pm at St James Church
born and bred haven.

Offline kellsladbornandbred

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 06 Oct 2018, 07:18:28 am
Deepest condolences to all the family, Sam was an old friend but ultimately Sam was a true Gentleman, he loved his Family, Friends, Whitehaven RLFC and Rugby League. RIP old marra