HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Keighley

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
on: 14 Nov 2018, 08:59:34 pm
Ex-Keighley star Ritchie Hawkyard claims the players and staff haven’t been paid by the Cougars for nearly three months and have been made false promises.

The Cougars appear to be in a financial rut, with players, staff and outside employees awaiting payment of wages dating back nearly three months.

Keighley coach Craig Lingard has revealed that he will not continue in his role until the players have been paid. Steve Gill is also set to step down from his general manager role at the club.

Simon Harrison and Neil Cullen resigned as directors last month, while Garry Schofield also left his position as club ambassador.

“Players and staff have not been paid for nearly three months now,” Hawkyard, who has now moved to Oldham, told loverugbyleague.com.

“They keep on lying to us and giving us false promises. Two weeks ago, they sent us all cheques but they all bounced. They banging our heads against the wall now and we don’t know who to go to because we’ve tried places already. They’ve also not paid anyone’s taxes all year but have been taking it off us.

“None of the players or staff have been paid. They’ve not even paid some of the money. Most of the players have left the club now and there’s only two or three who have stayed because they signed contracts halfway through last season, but they are looking for clubs now as well.

“There is still no word on when we will be paid. We are getting messages riddled with sarcasm and being told ‘it will be in, when it’s in’. How long can this continue until the governing body will add weight to our fight?

“Rugby money for some is a large proportion – if not their only income. This means that they now are in fear of spiralling into debt. All we are wanting is the money we have rightfully earned. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Love Rugby League has contacted the Keighley club for comment but they are yet to issue an official reply.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2018, 09:48:49 am
Long time since I have read of such serious club failings....looks terminal to me.

RFL needs to be more proactive in auditing the financial matters of the clubs it accepts into its league structures.

Offline CUMBRIAN BOY

• First Team Regular
Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2018, 10:17:55 am
Think a lot of championship clubs go through this but it its not made public and treated as Chinese whispers, I'm sure that the rfl could do a lot more for the lower league clubs, finical advisers, pass on info on how super league clubs run community development departments, sponsorship, engaging with the supporters, community partnership's with local authority's, the amount of support the RFU give to all there teams even at grassroot level puts the rfl to shame.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2018, 12:26:45 pm
I agree...spot on.

I am so sad to see Keighley in this apparent mess......they are / have been a wonderful club IMO. Hope they sort it out.....if that's possible.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2018, 12:28:38 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline gmc66

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2018, 07:29:26 pm
The way its going will only have 6 home games next season !!!!!

Offline Recre Faithful

• First Team Regular
Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2018, 01:31:04 pm
I’m hearing that keighley have sadly folded if not today  then tomorrow, what have the rfl done nothing
Whitehaven RLFC The real pride of cumbria

Remember not everything that talks with an Aussie accent is good enough to wear the Green & Gold

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2018, 02:51:17 pm
I’m hearing that keighley have sadly folded if not today  then tomorrow, what have the rfl done nothing
If Keighley fold the RFL have to share the blame, they should never have allowed Batley to stay on the Championship at Keighley's expense.

Offline Exile in Jamland

• Academy Signing
Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2018, 06:58:18 pm
Dreadful day if it comes to pass. Hope someone can rescue them.

Offline eternal optimist

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2018, 08:32:51 pm
Apparently no one has been paid by close of business today so it looks as though RFL could revoke licence tomorrow. Sad day for Cougars fans and RL. Hope something can be done to avoid this.

Offline touchjudge57

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2018, 08:44:00 pm
Game’s on it’s backside Des. Reading tonight that Featherstone  are looking to sue John Duffy over breach of contract and Leigh for approaching him.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/featherstone-part-company-with-john-duffy-and-take-legal-action/
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2018, 08:52:24 pm by touchjudge57 »

Offline eternal optimist

• First Team Backup
Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2018, 08:57:27 pm
Game’s on it’s backside Des. Reading tonight that Featherstone  are looking to sue John Duffy over breach of contract and Leigh for approaching him.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/featherstone-part-company-with-john-duffy-and-take-legal-action/

Seen that Bob. Leigh are still in special measures so can’t sign anyone. Was surprised when I saw talk of Duffy going there. 

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2018, 09:14:54 pm
could that also suggest problems at fev if Duffy is willing to leave
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline touchjudge57

• First Team Backup
Reply #12 on: 10 Dec 2018, 09:12:51 pm

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2019, 11:00:18 am
Keighley are back in business, they start the season with a 12 point penalty.

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2019, 11:47:37 am
Keighley are back in business, they start the season with a 12 point penalty.

Bit harsh the 12 points not as if they went in admin