HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

James Newton

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 24 Nov 2018, 06:00:01 am
Whitehaven RL are delighted to announce the signing of James Newton from Workington Town on a three year deal for his second spell with the club.

The 26 year old former Hull FC academy hooker made over 100 appearances for the club in his first spell from the 2013 season to the end of the 2017. He left the club to sign for Workington Town for the 2018 season and made 27 appearances scoring two tries but will wear the Chocolate, Blue and Gold until the end of 2021.

Speaking about re-signing for the club Newton said "This was a really hard decision for me to make but after serval discussions with the Workington board and Leon I felt coming back to Whitehaven would be best for me to play rugby week in week out with a smile on my face. The financial benefits of rugby are great but all I want to do is play every week and give 100% for whatever club that maybe. At Whitehaven it will feel like coming back home for me and my family and I want to get Whitehaven back in places they should be after the hard times they went through. I can’t wait to get stuck into pre season with Charlo, Jonty and the boys I am sure we will have some tough sessions coming our way through the coming weeks leading into the seasons starts. I hope this local based team can start bringing the crowds back into the Recre.”

Head coach Gary Charlton made Newton one of his primary targets and was ecstatic to get the deal over the line saying "James adds plenty of toughness and enthusiasm to our team he also possesses a good kicking game from dummy half as well as a decent turn of pace, we are really pleased to have him on board and will complement the other players in our squad.”

Newton is the 18th squad member for next season with the start of pre-season less than two weeks away.
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline Kellsmarra

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2018, 06:02:18 am
welcome home James.

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2018, 06:02:39 am
Good👍  Keep em coming please
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2018, 06:49:56 am
Welcome home marra was only a matter of time

Offline kellsladbornandbred

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2018, 07:36:26 am
3 year contract! Says a lot that
Welcome back onboard marra
Well done to everyone who pulled this off

Offline sam19

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2018, 08:12:13 am
Excellent news  ;)

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2018, 09:04:20 am
Needs some big rugged props next.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2018, 09:23:33 am
Yea I believe prop is the only position I believe needs more cover we have a couple of mobile propbs and one who’s 37-38 who you cant exspect to do big mins and one who can do big mins I think one massive prop and we are sorted there is some awsome quality in the middle this year

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2018, 12:28:27 pm
Great to see Newts back. Quality signing

Offline gmc66

• First Team Regular
Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2018, 07:29:30 pm
wonder why he ever left?? fit lad probably best trainer at club, lets hope its for the right reasons...welcome back

Offline havenfan

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2018, 08:41:47 pm
wonder why he ever left?? fit lad probably best trainer at club, lets hope its for the right reasons...welcome back

Probably felt he didn't fit in Forsters plans last year and wanted more playing time. Forster always had Tilley as first choice hooker and then signed Phillips, Abram, Howarth and Eaves too (and later on Sice)

Offline CUMBRIAN BOY

• First Team Regular
Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2018, 09:45:14 pm
Maybe he is one of the may players who dislike Price, and just maybe price didn't like Newts having a opinion, just look what happened to JG,

Offline Biffer

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2018, 10:00:34 pm
Maybe he is one of the may players who dislike Price, and just maybe price didn't like Newts having a opinion, just look what happened to JG,
One of the many do you mean??
15 of last year's squad have signed back on, 3 have left. Something doesn't add up there.

Offline CUMBRIAN BOY

• First Team Regular
Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2018, 01:10:00 am
Time will tell

Offline Biffer

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2018, 08:48:08 am
Time will tell
Maybe it will pal but a lot of these lads have signed up for 2yrs so they can't be that desperate to get away from Leon??