A season opening win over Keighley Cougars

Full time:  Haven 28 - Cougars 16

Attendance: 897     -     Half time draw:  09527     MoM:  Jake Moore

Your Thoughts.......
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2019, 05:12:23 pm
Thought Keighley were very good and we weren’t at our best but saying that thought Jake Moore and Chris Taylor were outstanding, the ref was awful as par but a win is a win, thought when Dowsett was on we looked sharper. Well done to all involved.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2019, 05:25:08 pm
I agree think Moore Taylor jason and dave all outstanding. Wasn't a great game never looked at it for 80 mins just sparks of brilliance got us through. Our line speed was awful and too many pens it kills the team but to win and not play anywhere near potential is a good sign and the crowd was very good hopefully can increase it weekly. Keighley ain't as bad as people make out and played some very good stuff.

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2019, 05:51:35 pm
Started slow, although I thought Keighley scored 2 very well worked tries.  Moore got us out of the brown stuff.  Dion won't have a worse game in his life (five  or six knock ons?).  Hope thonpson is okay, didn't look good.  Win is a win.

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2019, 06:15:46 pm
Jake Moore outstanding again like last week seems a criminal offence he never got a chance under forster 2 years ago

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2019, 06:33:18 pm
Thought we made hard work of that. Looked at Championship 1 betting on Skybet and Keighley we’re down as 80/1 outsiders. I expected a landslide of points. In the end I was quite impressed by the Cougars. They played some good rugby and there kicks near our line caused us all sorts of problems.

That said we dug deep and like last week produced a good 2nd half performance. Moore Taylor and Jake stood out for me. Special mention thought to Andrew Bulman. 2 tries on his league debut. He looks a cracking prospect. Plenty of pace and strength. Well done young man 👍👍👍

Next week Oldham away. Need to improve or else they’ll only be one outcome

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2019, 06:37:10 pm
Cougars are minus 12,  80/1 is a joke price.

Offline stockporthaven

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2019, 05:27:01 pm
Little things to fix.

Why take a tap (Newton) when 40 meters from goal, that's 20 metres you do not have to work for.

Professionals should not mouth off to the ref (ven when he is wrong) Dave Thompson miss handled a kick off, it clearly went backwards but ref gives a knock on which we compound by arguing.

Jason Mossop did the same in the second half and gave up good ball possession. You never see a ref change his mind!

Our short kicking game (apart from one by Taylor just before half time) is poor. Keighley scored a good try from a little chip kick and I think all three of their tries were on last tackle plays.

I think Hollliday (and Parker if he is now a middle) needs more game time both were effective in second half.

A number of positives,

Taylor and Mossop both made good yards after contact but we still run too often in singles, can not recall much promotion of the ball at the line and few off loads. Dave Thompson also came infield a number of times in exit sets to good effect.

Bulman a great prospect, needs early ball

Back row, all did well and our edge attack was generally good.

Shackley, Coward and Thompson all took the ball in well but would like to see a bit less sideways running from Shackley unless he gets some good supporting runners cutting hard lines inside.

Keighleys number 7 was by far the most creative player until his injury, he led them round the field well. Dionne (apart from his break for second try) had a game to forget.

We were only at 65% efficiency (completion rate?) and Keighley in the first half were at about 80% our physicality in the second half brought us home.

A win is a win but we need to (and will) play better