HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Overseas Clubs - RFL Statement

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 11 Apr 2019, 06:11:06 pm
Thoughts?............

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54714/rfl-statement--overseas-clubs?fbclid=IwAR25j2v3JccKXg_tZE80Z-xTYf5eE016593FbfWJy38nTEgkfkp52eTVbes

A special meeting of Championship and League One clubs in Salford today has agreed for the Rugby Football League to continue investigating the feasibility of two separate bids for clubs in North America.

The clubs heard presentations from one consortium aiming to relocate Hemel Stags to Ottawa in Canada, and a separate consortium to launch a new club in New York.

The final decision on each of the bids will be made by the Board of the Rugby Football League.

The RFL convened the meeting to assess the mood of the clubs, as had been done before Toronto Wolfpack were admitted to join League One in 2017. Super League clubs were also invited to attend, although not to participate in the indicative vote that was held at the end of the meeting.

Simon Johnson, the RFL’s Senior Non-Executive Director who chairs the Championship and League One forum, said: “The clubs were in principle supportive, by a comfortable majority, of the proposals for both Ottawa and New York to join the competitions, and for the RFL Board to continue to exercise its discretion to negotiate with both clubs, and to make a decision in due course.”

🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Online spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2019, 08:27:50 pm
It appears only 4 clubs voted against Ottawa joining league1 next season..  I can't believe how teams like us town barrow and clubs at the top end of league1 and lower clubs in the championship could want them in.  We can guarentee they will have a very strong squad and get promoted right away making it a lot harder to go up next season for the teams that don't go up this year and those that get relegated.

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2019, 09:15:33 pm
It appears only 4 clubs voted against Ottawa joining league1 next season..  I can't believe how teams like us town barrow and clubs at the top end of league1 and lower clubs in the championship could want them in.  We can guarentee they will have a very strong squad and get promoted right away making it a lot harder to go up next season for the teams that don't go up this year and those that get relegated.

I agree with you on promotion and relegation, how ever I live in Ottawa and there has been no mention of recruiting in the local press, so I doubt the Ottawa team will be anywhere near the strength of the Wolfpack.

Online spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2019, 09:37:25 pm

I agree with you on promotion and relegation, how ever I live in Ottawa and there has been no mention of recruiting in the local press, so I doubt the Ottawa team will be anywhere near the strength of the Wolfpack.

recruitment will start once they,ve been confirmed they won,t be joining from so far away to be whipping boys like hemel where they will mean business . Is it a nice city to visit

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2019, 12:30:24 am
Some in RL circles are beginning their (stealth) campaign to bring these 2 clubs in above League 1 level;

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/editors-column-new-york-and-ottawa-should-go-straight-in-to-super-league/
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2019, 02:48:09 pm
Good read that article...…..much more sideways, long term and original thinking than the RFL has ever come up with.

RFL...…..expansion with no bl**dy idea what it means or how to make it work.

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2019, 02:56:59 pm
Makes going locally based even more vital.  50 journeymen players - who will still be more than capable of playing at champ standard - will be moving on to them 2 clubs, which will dilute the strength of it considerably.  This will be a very good year to go up.

Offline gmc66

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2019, 06:39:15 pm
Only a handful of fans could afford to travel over there and they wont bring any supporters to UK so therefore no insentive at all for League 1 clubs and no increase of revenue so whats the point can someone tell me a positive on this??...its a crazy idea :-[ :-[

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2019, 07:16:01 pm
Only a handful of fans could afford to travel over there and they wont bring any supporters to UK so therefore no insentive at all for League 1 clubs and no increase of revenue so whats the point can someone tell me a positive on this??...its a crazy idea :-[ :-[

Believe it's tv deals which we will get extra money for.