HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

anouther cumbrian coach on the verge of maybe leaving rl

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
PAUL Crarey may quit as coach at the end of the season ? even if Raiders succeed in winning promotion.

The bombshell news has been revealed ahead of Sunday?s crucial National League Two game with Oldham at Craven Park.

Crarey ? who has a young family and business to consider ? today admitted his decision could yet go either way.

Now in his second year at the helm, the 40-year-old coach only accepted a further one- year contract taking him to the end of this season rather than the three years on offer.

When asked directly about his future by the Evening Mail, Crarey said he would not make a final decision until the end of the season.

He states: ?I am then going to sit down with my wife (Julie) and decide what?s best.

?We have two young kids (Joe nine and Jack six) and can?t go for proper family holidays over the summer.

?Being part-time coach is a very demanding role and I have a full-time roofing business.

?I never came to Craven Park for the money but to make a difference.

?The foundations are down, the Academy is running and we have integrated into the community.

?The club is moving in the right direction and I feel I have achieved alot of what I set out to do.

?Coaching is stressful, it is a massive drain on the family and business and I take defeat very personally.?

Crarey said he had achieved his dream of both playing for and coaching Barrow RL.

He added: ?I have made alot of friends in the coaching world and really enjoy it.

?The county set-up was also brilliant last season, it was a great experience.

?I really haven?t made my mind up yes or no as to next year, it?s in the balance.?

Crarey is fiercely loyal of the squad of players who have taken Raiders into second place ? despite last weekend?s 14-4 defeat at York.

He adds: ?There will be some tinkering for the Oldham game, that?s all.?

Barrow RL chief executive Des Johnston said he had backed the coach to the hilt.

He added: ?I have a fantastic relationship with Paul.

?There are no issues, we share the same passion to do well. I?m happy with Paul Crarey.

?Fans should realise that it is demanding on family and business life for the coach and directors at the club.?