HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Haven v Newcastle Thunder - Match Thoughts

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 28 Apr 2019, 04:46:10 pm
And your thoughts on the 12-12 draw at home to Newcastle Thunder

Off you go............

PS:   Hunslet beaten today so Haven will go top of League 1 by a point!
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2019, 04:57:10 pm by MrsHavenWarrior »
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline lastmanstanding

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2019, 05:05:01 pm
Well we blew a win today when we chose to run the ball when a penalty was on offer (2 points) and boy oh boy did we suffer for that decision? Against a side that was faster and look as if they wanted to win it. We missed Calum this week as our attacking play lacked ideas at times. Need another forward like Shacks defo

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2019, 05:10:16 pm
I thought we wer very poor tbh blew some chances but overall didn't look too interested Newcastle are a classy side and played a hell of a lot better than us but to play bad a should have won if we didn't switch off again! Also the last try there was a blatent forward pass leading to the try so kind of feel cheated. Maybe we will learn to take the 2 points more when on offer that cost us badly today but need a big improvement for next week a top game from the young barrow kid thought his kicking was sublime.

Offline Mk1

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2019, 05:14:25 pm
And your thoughts on the 12-12 draw at home to Newcastle Thunder

Off you go............

PS:   Hunslet beaten today so Haven will go top of League 1 by a point!
[We were 2nd best today and with a bit of guile  Would have put the points in the bag but poor game management  and daft penalties  cost us the game - 2 points lost.]

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2019, 05:15:16 pm
Somehow should of won despite all the injuries and playing against a very good side.  With the other results itoday, today is better than we could of dreamed about.

Offline kellsladbornandbred

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2019, 05:15:35 pm
Fair result IMO , but can’t knock the lads they certainly put the effort in today. Thought our defence stood up well against a well drilled side who will definitely be up there at the end of the season. We need another Big Mobile and solid Prop and if rumours are right we might just be in the market for one.
Kicking game today for us was much better but still room for improvement. And as lastmanstading said we really should take the 2 points especially in such a tight game
Still onwards and upwards and if anyone would of said we would be top of the league a third of the way through the season I would of laughed at them

Offline brianb

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2019, 05:45:52 pm
who got the m.o.m.?

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2019, 06:02:11 pm
Can't fault the team performance, and Newcastle are a good team.

Newcastle are the second team to come to Whitehaven with a game plan based on fast play the ball and slick passing play, and it worries me that opposition coaches have sussed out that we play a powerful defensive game based on strong committed tackling and slower forward play.

IMO we really must try to have a plan B, based on a speedier approach when we are on the offensive.....otherwise I suspect away games against the better teams will catch us out if our defense wilts under pressure.

Otherwise a good game today, and clear at the top of the league with 'town five points away in seventh....can't be bad eh ?

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2019, 06:03:24 pm
who got the m.o.m.?......Shacks I believe was announced.

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2019, 06:03:57 pm

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2019, 06:35:34 pm
When is someone going to tell Charlo that one man rugby doesn’t always work. We got away with it last week against a disheveled and uninterested Town side. Today it was a different story. Thunder were well up for it and for me the better side. We need to be a bit quicker and give the ball more air. Spin it about a bit and offloads in the tackle would help.

Still on the plus side we go top thanks to Skolars win so not all bad but we must play better than this.

Offline Textually Active

• Academy Star
Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2019, 06:46:15 pm
When is someone going to tell Charlo that one man rugby doesn’t always work.

Hey, why don’t you pop down to training and speak to Charlo, Jonty and Scott, personally?  I am sure they’d welcome any feedback. 

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2019, 06:49:59 pm
When is someone going to tell Charlo that one man rugby doesn’t always work. We got away with it last week against a disheveled and uninterested Town side. Today it was a different story. Thunder were well up for it and for me the better side. We need to be a bit quicker and give the ball more air. Spin it about a bit and offloads in the tackle would help.

Still on the plus side we go top thanks to Skolars win so not all bad but we must play better than this.

When the defence is 5 yards back all game what are you meant to do?

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2019, 08:00:47 pm
Take that today they were a good side and there fullback must be one of the fastest in game at the moment, missed Callum but can’t complain, think we are two quality forwards away from walking this league.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2019, 10:09:20 pm
When is someone going to tell Charlo that one man rugby doesn’t always work.

Hey, why don’t you pop down to training and speak to Charlo, Jonty and Scott, personally?  I am sure they’d welcome any feedback.

I would like to think Charlo and his coaching staff would see it for themselves rather than having someone point it out to them