HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Haven v Newcastle Thunder - Match Thoughts

Offline stockporthaven

• Academy Star
Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2019, 10:18:59 pm
Although we scored 2 tries to 1 we were second best today, I thought at the time that turning down the easy pen at the end of the first half might cost us.

On the plus side our defense was good but we lacked a cutting edge in attack, needed to move the ball wider given that the ref was (for both sides) policing a narrow 10 yards and rarely looked along the line for offside at the ptb.

Do not like to criticize individuals as all 17 had a good dig but when Chris Taylor dropped a high bomb for Thunders 3rd penalty Dave Thompson did not need to pick it up and make himself offside.

Jordan Burn's rip for his try against the run of play was my champagne moment.

Crowd slightly disappointing but still 200+ up on fixture last season,

And other results went in our favour. 

Where now for our jam eating friends?

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #16 on: 28 Apr 2019, 10:38:04 pm
Crowd was very good as I could probably count on one hand the thunder fans

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2019, 07:24:13 am
Not our best but to be top of the league after 7 games you would take that.
born and bred haven.

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2019, 11:50:15 am
Think some are being a little harsh on the lads here, but we all have our opinions. Pre-season we would have jumped at taking 5 out of 6 available points this month but I think that shows how far the lads/coaching staff have come as a team, that there is now a certain level of expectation.

IMO Newcastle are the best team we have faced so far, and to keep them out for 78 mins is some achievement. Nobody will be looking forward to coming to the Recre and we still have potential in this team for even more.
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline HavenRL2010

• First Team Backup
Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2019, 11:57:46 am
We've had 5 tough games it showed in the last 15 mins. We need another prop a Riley or Holland plus Kelly to come back we won't be far off in this league.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #20 on: 29 Apr 2019, 06:14:49 pm
Far too old to be a singer and chanter myself but...…..how come our choir was so powerful, noisy and supportive at Derwent Park, but in nearly all home games it's far far less effective.

I feel sure if they were able to perform at their best in the last 15 mins of home games they would simply carry our team over the finishing line.

Is it that the choir is dispersed around the ground in home matches......come on lads get organised at home and provide the team with the extra man ….as you did at 'town.

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #21 on: 29 Apr 2019, 06:27:37 pm
Far too old to be a singer and chanter myself but...…..how come our choir was so powerful, noisy and supportive at Derwent Park, but in nearly all home games it's far far less effective.

I feel sure if they were able to perform at their best in the last 15 mins of home games they would simply carry our team over the finishing line.

Is it that the choir is dispersed around the ground in home matches......come on lads get organised at home and provide the team with the extra man ….as you did at 'town.

Spread about, no roof on popular side to keep the noise in and not as much drink as most people have work on Mondays. 

Offline havenrugbyfan88

• First Team Regular
  • lets create more memories
Reply #22 on: 29 Apr 2019, 08:49:30 pm

Spread about, no roof on popular side to keep the noise in and not as much drink as most people have work on Mondays.

And unfortunately there wasn't that many off them there due to christenings, work Monday etc.

I would guess a third of those who attended town away were at the recre Sunday