HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Bill McAlone R.I.P.

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 25 Mar 2020, 02:51:36 pm
From Whitehaven Vice Presidents Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/WhitehavenRLVicePresidents/photos/a.202209626569860/1862879703836169/?type=3&theater

"It is with great sadness that we have learned that a Haven great, BILL McALONE, has passed away today due to natural causes. (It is not COVID-19 related). His family have asked that at this time no one calls round to offer their condolences and it will be a private cremation because of the current emergency.

Born in 1926 Bill first played a game for Hensingham at Millom but then never got another chance. He then got another chance with Kells and made such a promising debut that he only played five games before Whitehaven signed him in 1950. He made his debut for the senior team on the 19th August 1950 in a 10-10 home draw against Oldham. He went on to play a total of 327 games, scoring twenty three tries for Whitehaven. His final game at home to Leigh on the 28th September 1960. He made his debut for Cumberland on the 29th March 1954 against Yorkshire at the Recre'. He represented the County eleven times and won a County Championship medal in 1959.

Bill was a member of the 1956 Whitehaven team which beat the touring Kangaroos. He was also a member of the 1957 team that played in the Challenge Cup semi final against Leeds.

Bill was selected as a member of the Immortals team to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the club. He was also the second player to be inducted into the Vice Presidents Hall of Fame.

He was the first Haven player to have a benefit in 1958. Bill was described in his Benefit brochure by Walter Thompson of the Whitehaven News as "In good times and bad, Mac has been a staunch comrade and a feared foe; rugged as the coal he hews, a fighter to the last breath, a he-man in a he-mans game"

I was fortunate to see Bill play and he is certainly one of the best, if not the best, prop forward to wear the chocolate, blue and gold. Away from the field he was a gentleman in every sense of the word.

Rest in Peace Bill and thanks for so many wonderful memories.

Our thoughts go out to his family and friends at this sad time."
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline eternal optimist

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2020, 02:57:44 pm
From Whitehaven Vice Presidents Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/WhitehavenRLVicePresidents/photos/a.202209626569860/1862879703836169/?type=3&theater

"It is with great sadness that we have learned that a Haven great, BILL McALONE, has passed away today due to natural causes. (It is not COVID-19 related). His family have asked that at this time no one calls round to offer their condolences and it will be a private cremation because of the current emergency.

Born in 1926 Bill first played a game for Hensingham at Millom but then never got another chance. He then got another chance with Kells and made such a promising debut that he only played five games before Whitehaven signed him in 1950. He made his debut for the senior team on the 19th August 1950 in a 10-10 home draw against Oldham. He went on to play a total of 327 games, scoring twenty three tries for Whitehaven. His final game at home to Leigh on the 28th September 1960. He made his debut for Cumberland on the 29th March 1954 against Yorkshire at the Recre'. He represented the County eleven times and won a County Championship medal in 1959.

Bill was a member of the 1956 Whitehaven team which beat the touring Kangaroos. He was also a member of the 1957 team that played in the Challenge Cup semi final against Leeds.

Bill was selected as a member of the Immortals team to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the club. He was also the second player to be inducted into the Vice Presidents Hall of Fame.

He was the first Haven player to have a benefit in 1958. Bill was described in his Benefit brochure by Walter Thompson of the Whitehaven News as "In good times and bad, Mac has been a staunch comrade and a feared foe; rugged as the coal he hews, a fighter to the last breath, a he-man in a he-mans game"

I was fortunate to see Bill play and he is certainly one of the best, if not the best, prop forward to wear the chocolate, blue and gold. Away from the field he was a gentleman in every sense of the word.

Rest in Peace Bill and thanks for so many wonderful memories.

Our thoughts go out to his family and friends at this sad time."

I should also have added that when Bill played he was regarded by many in the game as the best uncapped prop forward in the game.

Des

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2020, 04:01:24 pm
Unfortunately Bill missed out on the 1957 semi final as he was injured, the props that day were Bobby Vincent and Ray Donaldson.
I remember when bill was first married he lived in the basement of my grandparents house in Queen Street, next door to the Jolly Sailor pub.
R.I.P Bill

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2020, 05:18:14 pm
Never so him play but heard so much about him
Rest in peace Big mac
born and bred haven.